GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 19:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jan 2016, 20:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:49) correct 53% (02:07) wrong based on 215 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer?

(1) 11! + 2 < x < 11!+ 12
(2) x > 2^5

Originally posted by noyaljoseph on 24 Jan 2016, 19:47.
Last edited by ENGRTOMBA2018 on 24 Jan 2016, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted the question and added the OA.
Math Expert
V
Re: Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 20:03
noyaljoseph wrote:

(1) 11! + 2 <x< 11!+ 12
(2) x > 2 5

Hi,
The gap between 2 and 5 in x> 2 5, suggests something is missing in statement 2..
PL provide OA too..

now if we look at x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer, it means d should be a factor of x..
lets see the choices now..
(1) 11! + 2 <x< 11!+ 12
here I take x too be an integer, that is what it should be logically..
any number say 11!+3 will have 3 as a factor
11!+4 will have 4 as a factor
till 11!+ 11 will have a factor 11..
so ans is YES x/d can be an integer..
Suff..

(2) x > 2 5
In the way it is written it will be insuff..
when x is a prime, d cannot have any value ... so x/d will not be an integer NO
if x is not a prime, then there will always be a d such that x/d is an int.. YES
different answers possible
Insuff

A

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

CEO
CEO
S
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 20:38
noyaljoseph wrote:

(2) x > 2^5

The very requirement of this question to find whether x has another integer such that x/d is an integer is the very definition of a prime number 'x ' that does not have an integer 'd' such that x/d is an integer.

Thus the question is simply asking whether 'x' is a prime number.

Per statement 1, you can very well see that 11!+2 will be divisible by 2 (as 11! = 1*2*3 ....10*11) and similarly all numbers from 11!+2 to 11!+ 12 will all be composites (or not prime). This this statement is sufficient.

Per statement 2, x > 2^5. Clearly not sufficient as there will always be a prime number greater than a given number (without any other bounds). Not sufficient.

Thus A is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
CEO
CEO
S
Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 20:41
chetan2u wrote:
here [color=#ff0000]I take x too be an integer, that is what it should be logically..

You are correct for this assumption (it's more of a given) as it is given that d is an integer and x/d is also an integer. Thus these conditions are only possible when x is also an integer.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 20:47
Engr2012 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
here [color=#ff0000]I take x too be an integer, that is what it should be logically..

You are correct for this assumption (it's more of a given) as it is given that d is an integer and x/d is also an integer. Thus these conditions are only possible when x is also an integer.

Hi,
it is not given that x/d is an integer, we have to find if x/d is an integer.

The two things mean a lot different..
and I do not think if we are finding whether x/d is an integer, we can infer that x is an integer.
this will be wrong interpretation. The Q is better with 'x as integer' stated clearly.

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

CEO
CEO
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 04:56
chetan2u wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
it is not given that x/d is an integer, we have to find if x/d is an integer.

The two things mean a lot different..
and I do not think if we are finding whether x/d is an integer, we can infer that x is an integer.
this will be wrong interpretation. The Q is better with 'x as integer' stated clearly.

In a DS question, you can either prove the existence with absolute certainty or prove the absence with absolute certainty. Either way, you will have a sufficient statement. The way I have approached is the latter and hence I assumed that in order for x/d to be an integer with d as integer, x must be an integer ---> not prime (based on statement 1). Your approach and mine are thus different ways of approaching the same thing.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 05:43
Engr2012 wrote:
In a DS question, you can either prove the existence with absolute certainty or prove the absence with absolute certainty. Either way, you will have a sufficient statement. The way I have approached is the latter and hence I assumed that in order for x/d to be an integer with d as integer, x must be an integer ---> not prime (based on statement 1). Your approach and mine are thus different ways of approaching the same thing.

In a DS Q, the biggest traps are these only, where you are expected to believe/assume a variable as an integer.
the same Q with a choice
1. x is a reciprocal of a prime number.

here you can say that x/d is not an integer since the numerator is a fraction and the denominator is an integer...
This statement will be sufficient to tell you that x/d is not an integer and will be suff..

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 05:20
I was confused by the wording of this question. What does "Does there exist an integer" exactly mean? Does it mean, "Is there at least one integer that exists?", or does it mean "Is there one and only one integer that exists?"
CEO
CEO
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 04:31
etdenlinger wrote:
I was confused by the wording of this question. What does "Does there exist an integer" exactly mean? Does it mean, "Is there at least one integer that exists?", or does it mean "Is there one and only one integer that exists?"

It would mean atleast one and not one only. Had it been 'one only', the question would have stated such a thing.
CEO
CEO
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 09:29
noyaljoseph wrote:

(2) x > 2^5

Composite number is a number that has more than 2 distinct factors.

Question REPHRASED : Is x a composite Number ?

Statement 1: 11! + 2 < x < 11!+ 12

i.e. x = 11! + 2 but 11! is a multiple of 2 i.e. x is a multiple of 2 hence Yes a Composite Number
i.e. x = 11! + 3 but 11! is a multiple of 3 i.e. x is a multiple of 3 hence Yes a Composite Number
..... and so on....
i.e. x = 11! + 12 but 11! is a multiple of 12 i.e. x is a multiple of 12 hence Yes a Composite Number

i.e. x is always a composite number. Hence,
SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: x > 2^5
x is greater than 32
i.e. x may or may not be a Composite Number
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option A

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.34
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 11:19
I had a quick question in regards to the "does there exist an integer" portion of the question.

From this given info, I can gather that the question is asking if there is atleast one integer D that makes X/D an integer. I understand why statement 1 is SUF but could one make the argument that statement 2 could also be SUF making the answer choice D?

If X > 2^5, there is at least one value for X, despite the fact that X can be a composite or prime, where X/D is an integer. I understand that this question is testing the properties of prime numbers but the "does there exist an integer" portion is throwing me a loop.
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 22:36
Jkim56 wrote:
I had a quick question in regards to the "does there exist an integer" portion of the question.

From this given info, I can gather that the question is asking if there is atleast one integer D that makes X/D an integer. I understand why statement 1 is SUF but could one make the argument that statement 2 could also be SUF making the answer choice D?

If X > 2^5, there is at least one value for X, despite the fact that X can be a composite or prime, where X/D is an integer. I understand that this question is testing the properties of prime numbers but the "does there exist an integer" portion is throwing me a loop.

Hi

The second statement is NOT sufficient. Ok x > 2^5 or x > 32.
Now if x = 33, then of course there exist a few integers between 1 and x which are factors of x (3, 11)
But if x = 37, then since x is prime, there is NO integer between 1 and x which is a factor of x.

we are not given whether x is prime or not. So second statement does not suffice.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 11:17
GMATinsight wrote:
noyaljoseph wrote:

(2) x > 2^5

i.e. x = 11! + 2 but 11! is a multiple of 2 i.e. x is a multiple of 2 hence Yes a Composite Number
i.e. x = 11! + 3 but 11! is a multiple of 3 i.e. x is a multiple of 3 hence Yes a Composite Number
..... and so on....
i.e. x = 11! + 12 but 11! is a multiple of 12 i.e. x is a multiple of 12 hence Yes a Composite Number

SUFFICIENT

x is greater than 32
NOT SUFFICIENT

Hi.

But when we say x may or may not have a prime number but still there is an integer d ( i.e. for x =36, integer d is 9) such that x/d is an integer.

Please help.

Posted from my mobile device
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 10:10
Mudit27021988 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
noyaljoseph wrote:

(2) x > 2^5

..... and so on....

SUFFICIENT

x is greater than 32
NOT SUFFICIENT

Hi.

But when we say x may or may not have a prime number but still there is an integer d ( i.e. for x =36, integer d is 9) such that x/d is an integer.

Please help.

Hi

Your query is not clear? Can you please rephrase what you want to know?

from first statement, it is clear that X is a composite number. So definitely there would be a positive integer greater than 1 but less than X which will be a factor of X.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 11:07
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

I think I usually get too stuck with the language of question.

My doubt was again with the question stem, since question stem says " does there exist an integer d" from which I understand to be,if there is any one such value that makes statement ( either statement 1 or 2) true, then it is sufficient to answer that yes! The value exists.

In statement 2, like I mentioned , there are many values that exist for x>32 and for which x/d is an integer. Isnt it sufficient to answer that "yes! Value exists for x>32 where d/x is integer. Hence statement is sufficient".

I understand the solution that is presented.
I will be thankful if I can be provided some useful link to clear my thoughts on language of quant questions posed.

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 21:59
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

My doubt was again with the question stem, since question stem says " does there exist an integer d" from which I understand to be,if there is any one such value that makes statement ( either statement 1 or 2) true, then it is sufficient to answer that yes! The value exists.

In statement 2, like I mentioned , there are many values that exist for x>32 and for which x/d is an integer. Isnt it sufficient to answer that "yes! Value exists for x>32 where d/x is integer. Hence statement is sufficient".

I will be thankful if I can be provided some useful link to clear my thoughts on language of quant questions posed.

Hello

In statement 2, you are correct that many values exist for x>32 for which we will be able to find an integer 'd' such that x/d is an integer.
But lets look at the question. The question says, "Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer?"

Unless we know what is 'x', how do we know whether such a 'd' exists or not. We are given that x>32. Say x=33, then definitely there exists a 'd' (3 or 11). But if x=41, then there does not exist such a 'd'. So it comes down to just one thing: we are NOT able to answer with a clear-cut YES or a clear-cut NO. Thats why statement 2 is not sufficient.

As for the highlighted part in your quote (I have highlighted), I think understanding questions and explanations here on Gmatclub will be the best thing to do. Ask questions, and try to understand the replies, maybe that will help you understand steadily over a short period of time.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 21:53
amanvermagmat wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

Hello

In statement 2, you are correct that many values exist for x>32 for which we will be able to find an integer 'd' such that x/d is an integer.
But lets look at the question. The question says, "Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer?"

Unless we know what is 'x', how do we know whether such a 'd' exists or not. We are given that x>32. Say x=33, then definitely there exists a 'd' (3 or 11). But if x=41, then there does not exist such a 'd'. So it comes down to just one thing: we are NOT able to answer with a clear-cut YES or a clear-cut NO. Thats why statement 2 is not sufficient.

As for the highlighted part in your quote (I have highlighted), I think understanding questions and explanations here on Gmatclub will be the best thing to do. Ask questions, and try to understand the replies, maybe that will help you understand steadily over a short period of time.

Thanks amanvermagmat for such a wonderful piece of advice and explanation.
+1 for the same
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 06:45
chetan2u wrote:
noyaljoseph wrote:

(1) 11! + 2 <x< 11!+ 12
(2) x > 2 5

Hi,
The gap between 2 and 5 in x> 2 5, suggests something is missing in statement 2..
PL provide OA too..

now if we look at x > d > 1 and x/d is an integer, it means d should be a factor of x..
lets see the choices now..
(1) 11! + 2 <x< 11!+ 12
here I take x too be an integer, that is what it should be logically..
any number say 11!+3 will have 3 as a factor
11!+4 will have 4 as a factor
till 11!+ 11 will have a factor 11..
so ans is YES x/d can be an integer..
Suff..

(2) x > 2 5
In the way it is written it will be insuff..
when x is a prime, d cannot have any value ... so x/d will not be an integer NO
if x is not a prime, then there will always be a d such that x/d is an int.. YES
different answers possible
Insuff

A

Hi chetan2u,

Can you please help me in this.

The question is basically asking if there is any number d such that x > d > 1 and x/d = integer. Obviously we can say that yes it does exist for Statement II. The question is not asking for all value of d. Also, if we are to take the logic that d cannot be fixed for Statement II, how can be we fix d for Statement I.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 06:51
amanvermagmat wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

Hello

Hi amanvermagmat,

As per your logic, as we cannot decide on the value of x, you negated Statement II. However, for Statement I also, we can have x in Decimals or fractions. X cannot be fixed for Statement I also. So, as per your logic of Statement II we should negate option I also.

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 21:07
rahul16singh28 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
amanvermagmat

Thanks for getting back.

Hello

Hi amanvermagmat,

As per your logic, as we cannot decide on the value of x, you negated Statement II. However, for Statement I also, we can have x in Decimals or fractions. X cannot be fixed for Statement I also. So, as per your logic of Statement II we should negate option I also.

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

Hello Rahul

Yes your perspective is good. I took x to be an integer. Actually I followed the statement in Chetan's solution, where he says that 'x should be an integer logically'.

So yes I solved the entire question assuming 'x' to be an integer
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer? &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 21:07

Does there exist an integer d such that x > d > 1 & x/d is an integer?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap