It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 2

During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 05:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:37) correct 44% (01:37) wrong based on 473 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more on transporting and feeding guests than they do during the off season. Therefore, transportation and food is less likely to be available to a guest at a ski lodge during the off season than they would be during the winter months.

Which of the following, if true about a ski lodge during the off season, most weakens the conclusion drawn above?

a) It employs fewer full-time staff members than it does during the skiing season.
b) It spends less per meal on lighter summer foods than it would to feed cold and hungry skiers.
c) Its guests, on average, stay for a longer time than do those who come during the skiing season.
d) It holds monthly expos during which chefs' best dishes are showcased.
e) Some of its vehicles may be broken, and will not be replaced until the next skiing season.

Hey guys, please explain in detail.!!! I could not understand how the answer is B. If the spending per meal is less in summer (off peak season), does it not support the argument? I was confused and chose D thinking that holding food expos mean that they are spending on food even in off peak season.

please help.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 1663 [1], given: 116

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
kalravaibhav wrote:
During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more on transporting and feeding guests than they do during the off season. Therefore, transportation and food is less likely to be available to a guest at a ski lodge during the off season than they would be during the winter months.

Which of the following, if true about a ski lodge during the off season, most weakens the conclusion drawn above?

a) It employs fewer full-time staff members than it does during the skiing season.
b) It spends less per meal on lighter summer foods than it would to feed cold and hungry skiers.
c) Its guests, on average, stay for a longer time than do those who come during the skiing season.
e) Some of its vehicles may be broken, and will not be replaced until the next skiing season.

Hey guys, please explain in detail.!!! I could not understand how the answer is B. If the spending per meal is less in summer (off peak season), does it not support the argument? I was confused and chose D thinking that holding food expos mean that they are spending on food even in off peak season.

please help.

The argument draws the conclusion on the assumption that greater spending means greater availability of food and lesser spending means lesser availability of food.

B) If the spending is less per meal, then the total number of meals available could well remain the same (or even be greater) even if the total amount spent is lesser.

D) cannot be the answer as it is just irrelevant.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Kudos [?]: 1663 [1], given: 116

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 58

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 08:07
Hi,

Initially even i was convinced for B as the answer, but selected C(as the best choice).
The argument talks about "ski lodges spend considerably more on transporting and feeding guests ".
choice B does not explain the increase in transportation costs.
whereas C can be taken for an increase in both Transportation and feeding costs.

Can somebody please help reason this ??

Thanks,
Garv

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 58

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2014, 10:10
kalravaibhav wrote:

please help.

The reason that they spend more during the season is because the type of food in winter is more expensive, not because they are serving more quantity of food. Therefore, there is no reason to believe that food in quantity will be less available during the off-season. B it is

Hope its clear
J

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2014, 19:33
MacFauz wrote:
kalravaibhav wrote:

please help.

The argument draws the conclusion on the assumption that greater spending means greater availability of food and lesser spending means lesser availability of food.

B) If the spending is less per meal, then the total number of meals available could well remain the same (or even be greater) even if the total amount spent is lesser.

D) cannot be the answer as it is just irrelevant.

Hi MacFauz ,

I am still not able to understand this question ?

During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more on transporting and feeding guests than they do during the off season. : Means more guests , more food needed , more money spent

Therefore, transportation and food is less likely to be available to a guest at a ski lodge during the off season than they would be during the winter months. : Less guests , less food needed , less money spent .

Therefore anything that would weaken this conclusion would need to show more food is available or more money or more money is spent or more guests are available ?

According to me B is strengthens the question rather than weakening it .

If the guests stayed longer then this would be an indication that more money and more food needs to be spent on them .
Say in winter 5 guests stay only for a day means 5 meals .
in summer months 5 guests stay for 10 days means 10 meals .

Could you throw some light here ?

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 26

WE 1: 4 yr IT

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2014, 20:39
B for me.
the argument says less money is non season means less availability of food and transportation.
what can weaken this?
something that says the ski lodges can provide adequate food and transportation even with less money OR an alternative way in which the amount spent gets reduced in off-season(something like price of gas gets cheaper which reduces the spending).
let us look at the answer choices
this does not say that ski lodges can still provide adequate food. though this implies less employees it will actually strengthen the conclusion. eg: lower chefs and waiters = lower availability of food.

amount spent per meal is lesser in off-season. so the amount of food these lodges consume during off season might be the same as during season, but it just costs less, leading to lower food costs. RIGHT ANSWER

this implies lower transportation costs as short stays means frequent transport. while this is definitely a contender, it is not better than b because it does not provide any explanation about food&transportation "availability" during off season.

irrelavant.

this actually strengthens the argument that availability of transportation will be less during off season.

hope this helps

this time, we play for keeps

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 26

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 01:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 12:51
I'm confused between B and C.
Since the conclusion is that the food is less likely to be available during off season i picked C.
Can some one help me understand why C is not the right answer

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 23:49
The argument states that in winter months or the peak season more food and transportation is available to a guest at a ski lodges because they spend more on the food and transportation of guests during peak season. "B" suggests that light summer meals anyways costs less. Hence even though the ski lodges spend less it is not implied that less food is available to the guests. Hence it directly negates the conclusion.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 1

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 16:34
agree that B is the answer...
narrowed down to B and D.
if B is true, then it doesn't automatically mean that food and transportation is not available...

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 20:26
Pre-thinking
The conclusion about the greater likelihood of transportation and food availability during the skiing season is drawn based on the assumption that the greater the expenditure on food and transportation, the greater their availability. So in order to weaken we just have to find any piece of evidence that contradicts the assumption. For example: Expenditure on food or transportation per guest during the off season is equal or greater than that during skiing seasons.

a) It employs fewer full-time staff members than it does during the skiing season. OFS

b) It spends less per meal on lighter summer foods than it would to feed cold and hungry skiers. Correct!
Aligned with pre-thinking. This choice means that the resort expenditure on food/ per guest is greater during the off season than during skiing season

c) Its guests, on average, stay for a longer time than do those who come during the skiing season. OFS
Guest's vacation length is not related to the argument.

d) It holds monthly expos during which chefs' best dishes are showcased. Irrelevant
Expenditure in dishes for monthly expos doesn't help to determine id the expenditure on food/per guest is greater in one of the seasons.

e) Some of its vehicles may be broken, and will not be replaced until the next skiing season. Irrelevant

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 283

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 16:07
a) It employs fewer full-time staff members than it does during the skiing season. --> employees has not implication on the argument. Thus, eliminate.
b) It spends less per meal on lighter summer foods than it would to feed cold and hungry skiers. --> Correct. This choice is saying "no, it's not that we don't feed the visitors, we spend less because summer foods are lighter are not near as expensive as winter foods"
c) Its guests, on average, stay for a longer time than do those who come during the skiing season. --> great, they stay longer. It doesn't mean that they don't eat or receive transportation
d) It holds monthly expos during which chefs' best dishes are showcased. --> irrelevant. There is no connection between expos and change in seasons
e) Some of its vehicles may be broken, and will not be replaced until the next skiing season. --> irrelevant; some are broken - doesn't mean that they have no way of transporting individuals

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 283

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 61

WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 06:39
Can someone pls explain how B is the answer. It only talks about food.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 61

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 12:48
shelrod007 wrote:

Hi MacFauz ,

I am still not able to understand this question ?

During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more on transporting and feeding guests than they do during the off season. : Means more guests , more food needed , more money spent

Therefore, transportation and food is less likely to be available to a guest at a ski lodge during the off season than they would be during the winter months. : Less guests , less food needed , less money spent .

Therefore anything that would weaken this conclusion would need to show more food is available or more money or more money is spent or more guests are available ?

According to me B is strengthens the question rather than weakening it .

If the guests stayed longer then this would be an indication that more money and more food needs to be spent on them .
Say in winter 5 guests stay only for a day means 5 meals .
in summer months 5 guests stay for 10 days means 10 meals .

Could you throw some light here ?

It is the off season for skiing, not necessarily for the number of people staying in the ski lodge! It is still possible that the ski lodges have people staying in for other purposes during the off season. This is outside knowledge- "Less guests , less food needed , less money spent . ". The quantity and cost of the food may not be directly proportional. There may be more people coming in the off season, but the cost of food is still less because it is cheaper than the winter foods. So, the lodges are spending less on the food and still have enough quantity of food!

As per B, take for eg- Winter food $5/meal/day, Summer food $1/meal/day
Winter 5 guests stay only for 5 days means 5 meals . - Total cost- $125
Summer months 5 guests stay for 10 days means 10 meals . - Total cost- $50

On the other hand for C- Guests may stay for more number of days, but what if they are carrying frozen food or eat outside! This does not comment on the availability of food in the lodge.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 04:37
I chose C.

I am still not convinced with B. B says less money spent per meal on light summer foods. But how does it guarantee that food will be more likely available (trying to weaken the conclusion that food and transportation will be less available ), maybe these light summer food is available to only VIP customers not for all, we never know.

Experts please help.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 04:37

During the skiing season, ski lodges spend considerably more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap