GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 302
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 11:24
1
32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:34) correct 29% (01:08) wrong based on 1951 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2549
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2012, 08:09
11
6
spider wrote:
humtum0 wrote:
Agree with A. In a "which" is modifying the entire clause.


I see a lot of people going for B...

B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but

I would go for B if you can explain who "it" and "they" are referring tooo..

Is elk - singular or plural -- thats my doubt...I see in choice A -- "are" referring to elk ...confuses me a lot.


Hi there,

This is the sentence with the correct answer choice B:

The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

In this sentence, “it” is not functioning as a proper pronoun. It is rather working as what is called “a placeholder”. For example:

It is very windy today.

In this sentence, “it” is just functioning as a placeholder and thus does not have a definite antecedent. This is the case with the sentence in question as well.

Now, pronoun “they” is referring to “Elk” only. In three out of two choices, “Elk” has been mentioned as plural. This is not uncommon because there are many animals whose plural form does not take “s” at the end. For example: sheep, fish, deer, etc. Also note that the animals belonging to the deer family have the same singular and plural forms. “Elk” happens to be one of them. If you do not know what an “elk” is, read the answer choices. If any of the answer choices has a singular verb to with “Elk” then we may need to see if this entity is singular or plural.
However, in this sentence, it is clear that “elk” has been used as plural entity.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
10 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 344
Location: United States
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2014, 15:38
10
4
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

First look: Grammatical construction, logical predication - In general, anytime there is a cause and effect relationship, test-makers have a field day in switching the position of relationship so as to form other answer choices. Typically, if the relationship is constructed with appropriate verb forms, the inverted relationship stands. That said, it's important to stay disciplined and test each clause for its proper components - i.e. verb form, logic predication, etc.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while "while" signifies at the same time and "ranged once" was past tense, so I thought the sentence was illogical.

B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but Correct - "They" agree with the pronoun in the non-underlined section of the sentence. The sentence is inherently wordy, so I looked for a better one first.

C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still Wrong - "But still" is redundant. "Because of their living" is awkward and nonsensical. "solely almost" is reversed and non-sensical.

D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although Wrong - "Now living" is an dangling modifier.

E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since "Solely almost" is reversed, awkward, and non-sensical. Also, I think this answer choice is wordy
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 302
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 11:25
I am in for D- tried to avoid pronoun error, which is there in other choices!
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 307
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 12:36
3
singh_amit19 wrote:
I am in for D- tried to avoid pronoun error, which is there in other choices!


Going with B here.

For D "Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains," should be immediately followed by elk.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 113
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 17:11
singh_amit19 wrote:
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since


Hard decision between B and D.

I went with D, because "The fact that" in B is needlessly wordy.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 609
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 17:44
1
singh_amit19 wrote:
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since


'E' - incorrect - usage of 'would be' - a future tense. Also usage of 'Since' incorrect

'C' - incorrect - same as 'E'

'A' - incorrect - 'it' - Ambiguous and Farway Antecedent

'D' - incorrect - 'were' and 'now' doesn't reconcile.

Hence 'B' will be my choice of answer
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2491
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2007, 18:34
2
3
singh_amit19 wrote:
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since


B.

A: which incorrectly refers to rocky mountains.
C: long awkward phrase. "because of their living" should signal a red flag.
D: Now living almost soley in the rocky mountains... should be followed by the Elk, but the modifier is not so this choice is incorrect.
E: I didn't like this choice because it seemed to change the meaning.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 133
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 12:44
Agree with A. In a "which" is modifying the entire clause.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 340
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 12:47
humtum0 wrote:
Agree with A. In a "which" is modifying the entire clause.


I see a lot of people going for B...

B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but

I would go for B if you can explain who "it" and "they" are referring tooo..

Is elk - singular or plural -- thats my doubt...I see in choice A -- "are" referring to elk ...confuses me a lot.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 57
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 18:27
After elimination A & B remain.

A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers, while

If I ignore the modifying phrase "which would make it seem that elk are mountain dwellers", the sentence would become:

Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains while they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.

The sentence becomes nonsensical.

B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it seem that they are mountain dwellers, but

Although wordy, B coveys the idea correctly.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 609
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2007, 18:03
singh_amit19 wrote:
OA is A


Can you please post the official explanation.

Thank you...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 302
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2007, 01:14
Beyond700 wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:
OA is A


Can you please post the official explanation.

Thank you...


Don't have official explanations just answers! Apologies!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1350
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2007, 09:43
1
singh_amit19 wrote:
OA is A


While I agree that the construction "The fact that..." in B is not the best of constructions yet it's the only answer choice that's error free.

In A - which does NOT have a noun which it can refer to... and in GMAT which usually refers to the nearest preceding noun which in this case is mountains - but that would make the sentence illogical.

I disagree sadly but whole heartedly with the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 308
Location: Orange County, CA
Re: Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2007, 09:52
OA is A?

I would have said B. The "but" in B shows there is some contradiction to the original clause.

A has "while" which also works--however, B would appear to have a stronger stance.

If the OA is truly A, I'm in need of much more SC practice!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 289
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2008, 01:00
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk
are mountain dwellers, while
they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United
States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.
A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem
that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it
seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now
solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were
mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live
solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 456
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: SC-Elk [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2008, 03:58
uf! this is a tough one!

I'd say B because for me it's the less worse :oops:

OA and Source?

Thanks
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1333
Re: SC-Elk [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2008, 18:12
JL,

I am not sure what makes B the less worse. IMO, B does not have any issues and the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 456
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: SC-Elk [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 12:18
icandy wrote:
JL,

I am not sure what makes B the less worse. IMO, B does not have any issues and the correct answer.


yep, reviewing the question again B doesn't sound so bad...

However, I try to avoid answers beginning with "The fact that" because it sounds wordy to me...
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 507
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Re: SC-Elk [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2008, 12:27
vivektripathi wrote:
Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem that elk
are mountain dwellers, while
they once ranged over virtually all of the continental United
States except for a small strip in the extreme Southwest.
A. Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which would make it seem
that elk are mountain dwellers, while
B. The fact that elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains would make it
seem that they are mountain dwellers, but
C. It would seem that elk would be mountain dwellers because of their living now
solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, but still
D. Now living almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, it would seem that elk were
mountain dwellers, although
E. It seems that elk would be mountain dwellers from the fact that they now live
solely almost in the Rocky Mountains, since


This consumed time..phew! whats the source & OA?

B

A - which & usage of it
B - I feel the usage of it is wrong, but went for this. I'm not convinced though.
C - because of their
D - it modifies mountains, which is wrong
E - makes no sense, lots of errors
Re: SC-Elk   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2008, 12:27

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 52 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Elk now live almost solely in the Rocky Mountains, which

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.