Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [12]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.62
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Enhanced Score Report Analysis - What If Scenarios 2.0 [#permalink]
Nice work. I see CR twice there. Last one should be RC. Right?

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:

Some Inferences/Assumption

• The lowest score on any section you can get is 6.
  • However, 6 in different sections do not add equally to your verbal score.
  • In our testing I realized, the impact of the score 6 in three different sections is as follows:

SC>CR>RC

This is interesting work, but your inferences above are based on a fundamentally incorrect assumption about how the scoring works. Your Verbal score isn't calculated based on how many questions you get right, and it isn't calculated based on some combination of how many SC / CR / RC you get right, or how accurate you are on those three problem types. The three question types are identical, from a scoring perspective. All that matters is 'where you end' - the difficulty level the test is at when you finish the last question. If the effect you observed is due to anything, it's due to the relative quantity and position of each of those question types on the practice tests you took (i.e. there may have been more SC questions, or they may have coincidentally appeared in long 'runs' throughout the test.)

Suppose that by random (and very unlikely) chance, your test started with ten CR questions. Compare that to a test that ended with ten CR questions. Answering all of those questions incorrectly would have a wildly different effect on your score, depending on which hypothetical scenario you were in, and how you did through the rest of the test.

The best approach is to avoid being significantly weaker on any of the three areas - that'll keep the test from giving you too-easy questions in your stronger areas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Enhanced Score Report Analysis - What If Scenarios 2.0 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
That sounds a lot like what had happen to me. I am weak in SC and on a real exam I started with 6 out 10 SC questions. Result - V25 vs V38 2 months before...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 127
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

Enhanced Score Report Analysis - What If Scenarios 2.0

I have been playing with the GMAT Prep Exam pack 2 for the last few days, and I decided to analyze a few what-if scenarios of the verbal section of the test. I started off with some standard scenarios, and then I took one real life scenario which any of us can apply in the test to actually get great results and extra time. Let me take you through a few of them.

Scene 1: SC Focus

Conditions
  • Attempting ALL SC questions as accurately as possible
  • Guessing the CR and RC section of the test
  • 1 SC question was wrong (silly mistake :P but it probably adds to some real-life scene bit)

Scene 2: CR Focus

Conditions
  • Attempting ALL CR questions as accurately as possible
  • Guessing the SC and RC section of the test
  • No CR question was wrong

Scene 3: RC Focus

Conditions
  • Attempting ALL RC questions as accurately as possible
  • Guessing the SC and CR section of the test
  • 1 CR question was wrong

Some Inferences/Assumption

• The lowest score on any section you can get is 6.
  • However, 6 in different sections do not add equally to your verbal score.
  • In our testing I realized, the impact of the score 6 in three different sections is as follows:

SC>CR>RC

Real Life Scenario - The time saver

Full Disclosure - This is @bb's idea.

I tried to attempt SC and CR as accurately as I possible could and I attempted 1 RC section correctly. I completely guessed the 3 RC passage questions randomly (marked them all C, so that is random enough). In total that led to 6 mistakes in RC questions. Guess what my score is with that setting:

Surprising huh?

I am going to run a few similar scenarios to confirm this, but to me this seems like a well established strategy.

Attempt the first RC with full focus -> Guess the Next RC -> Attempt the RC again -> Guess the last RC

Doing this you will at least save 10-12 minutes of your allotted time, and still end up with a 97-99 percentile score in the verbal section. Not a bad bet is it?

Let me know your thoughts on these case studies. If you want me to tun a few scenarios, feel free to ask.

Has this worked for other folks? I have a few queries-

1. What if the 2nd/4th RC that you randomly marked answers for, gets you 4 incorrect answers and your overall difficulty level comes down drastically?
2. Can we apply this strategy even if we are not sure that the 2 RC's in which we are attempting diligently will have all correct?
3. When you say guess answers, do you mean random guess or an educated guess?
4. How should one react when he sees the 2nd/4th RC which he plans to skip is from a topic which he likes?
5. Should this strategy be applied if the 2nd and 4th RC appear in the last 10 questions of the verbal section?
6. Would you recommend for the 2nd and 4th passage, one should atleast attempt the main point question by reading the first and line last lines of each paragraph.

I am struggling with RC(both in terms of strategy and timing), so would be glad if any assistance is provided.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q156 V159
GPA: 3.7
WE:Real Estate (Real Estate)
Send PM
How can I acces to the ESR for pratice tests?

I bought the Pack for 3 and 4 practice test and I was supposed to see the ESR for my first two practice test. But I cant see any option where I could visualize the ESR´s.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts