GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Failing Constantly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Failing Constantly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 19:13
I’ve been studying for the GMAT for 1.5 years. Although I’ve been 2 hours a day and four hours on the weekend, I’m not feeling like I’m grasping any of the subjects. Ive taken breaks here and there when I’m feeling burned out. I’ve been through two classes and a tutor, but I’m still scoring below 500. I taken two official exams, one in July I got like 420. Last month, I got 320. I get really nervous during the exam and can no longer focus on the questions. Now I’m studying for the gre, but I feel like I might fall Into the same issues. My official gre is on Nov 30th and I’m using Magoosh. But still I feel like there’s so much to learn (especially vocab) that I’m just going to end up failing tremendously. How do I fix this? What am I doing wrong? I really want to go to b school because I hate my career, but this goal is starting to seem Unrealistic...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Law (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Failing Constantly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 21:11
I think your problem is psychological.

About me, I have wasted 2 years studying theory and just random practising, I have worked hard but gmat is not only about hard work.

Firstly, please know the following things about GMAT exam :

It is not an effort based exams
it's not about how much you have studied
Neither about how long you have studied

I have read hundreds of debrief written by many successful student.

The way to study is do fewer questions, but analyze questions, think about what was the Trap in the question, what was the question trying to test, how did I respond to it. Change and Improvement will come slowly. You dont need to study hundreds of questions and study hard, just analayze a hell lot, I mean a hell lot.

Watch this Video, this may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyVmhFlliuo

Here is the another important thing, it is to take breaks just dont do anything entire day no work no study, enjoy your time, even if your alone enjoy your own time.

have a positive mindset, which is easier said than done.
I understand that you hate your existing situation, but resisting it and despising will make you bitter and yu will remain unhappy and thus poor performance.

I highly recommend you read eckhart Tolle - Power of Now.
It's a profound book, I am writing this as I was in your spot, still I am, but things are getting better and better.

Things cannot be change in a day or months or even year, so your best bet is embrace and accept everything, and from thereon improve things slowly. Do not rush, no need to hurry.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 21:15
Hero with 1000 faces, I think you’re right. I think my issue is psychological and I probably should take a step back and start to analyze things. I feel like I have to learn so much and this information is not sticking for whatever reason.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 08:42
Gmat is about how you analyse problems and solve them creatively. Gre is more straight forward in its questions (just like high school math).

Just focus your study on your incoming GRE. See how well you will score.

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 19:31
Hi 94Maverick,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT/GRE prep. Since you have been studying for 1.5 years and scored 420 and 380 on the GMAT, I agree with you that the same issues that have been plaguing you with the GMAT likely will plague you with the GRE. WIth that said, have you taken any official GRE practice exams? If so, what were the score breakdowns of those practice exams? Also, what is your GRE score goal and how long have you been studying for the GRE?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22, ISB '21
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 15:12
I think the problem is more psychological. Stress, Tensions and anxiety can really be detrimental for the score. I experienced this personally. Maybe Mediatation/mindfulness course for beginners during weekend might help you to be more calm and composed, especially during an exam like GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Failing Constantly   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2019, 15:12

Failing Constantly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics