It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Freelancing and Travel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 44

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Freelancing and Travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 07:24
Hoping I'm not duplicating any recent threads on here.

I'm currently in the process of preparing for MBA applications this fall (sitting GMAT in a few weeks). I won't go into much detail on my profile, other than to say:

Me: male, 28 years old, 4 years' experience in boutique corporate finance and private equity.

My query is as follows. I have been doing freelance / independent consultancy work outside of my day job for the past 12 months and this freelance work has now grown to a scale where I could support myself independently. In terms of income, I would be taking a reduction on the salary of my day job, but, it would allow me to take an extended period of leave and embark on some much needed travel and reflection.

To any admissions consultants reading this: what are your thoughts? Is this application suicide? Do you have any experience of similar situations?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 44

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Re: Freelancing and Travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 18:58
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Honestly I would get into school then take this leave / travel. If you can score a R1 admit you will have tons of time for travel. For example I scored my first admit in December and did not have to formally come to campus until August. That's a lot of time to do whatever you want to do. It just would be a shame for you to field all of those questions or distract from your application. Now if your independant consulting aligns with a future career path then maybe this makes more sense for you

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 06:24
This is perfectly ok. Make sure the recommenders are not unhappy that you've left work. And make sure that you can show something tangible for the time you spend freelancing. You can show some valuable skills as a freelancer - marketing yourself, client interactions, negotiations, etc.

Wish you the best,
Karthik

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 01:56
ilovefrankee wrote:

I'm currently in the process of preparing for MBA applications this fall (sitting GMAT in a few weeks). I won't go into much detail on my profile, other than to say:

Me: male, 28 years old, 4 years' experience in boutique corporate finance and private equity.

My query is as follows. I have been doing freelance / independent consultancy work outside of my day job for the past 12 months and this freelance work has now grown to a scale where I could support myself independently. In terms of income, I would be taking a reduction on the salary of my day job, but, it would allow me to take an extended period of leave and embark on some much needed travel and reflection.

To any admissions consultants reading this: what are your thoughts? Is this application suicide? Do you have any experience of similar situations?

I would say that highly depends on what accomplishments (if any) you can count on during this freelancing period. You would want to have something tangible to show the adcoms, otherwise this could be quite a risky move.

It would also depend on why you feel you need to travel and your reasoning for travel and not something else being the solution to this situation. So feel free to reach out to us at ARINGO directly in order to discuss that if you want. You can reach us at https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

JL

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Admissionado
S

Kudos [?]: 955 [0], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 01:53
ilovefrankee wrote:

Basically sounds cool :)

As for how it would impact you and whether it is worth it, there's no "rules of thumb". You're gonna have to get into specifics. Often with freelancing, if you have a decent amount of work, it can be enough to "fill" a resume, and a trip around the world to explore can make for a far more interesting story than another year in the office. But once again, it depends on what you do, what you plan to do, etc. etc. etc.

Feel free to hook up with us and chat your ideas out with someone: http://admissionado.com/free-consultati ... n=mba_blog

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 955 [0], given: 48

Re: Freelancing and Travel   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 01:53