GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 720. High verbal/ weak quantitative. Should I Retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q42 V47
GPA: 3.81
WE: Asset Management (Other)
GMAT 720. High verbal/ weak quantitative. Should I Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:06
Hi,

I just took the GMAT this weekend and scored a 720 overall with a 42 in Quantitative, a 47 in Verbal, and an 8 IR. I was wondering if the low quantitative score is too much of a red flag, which would preclude me from getting into a top ten business school.

I'm not sure how a strong quantitative background makes up for this. I have my bachelors degree in Finance with a 3.81 GPA, I have passed all three levels of the CFA exams, just waiting for a couple more month of work experience to earn the charter, and I currently work in equity research.

I am wondering if i should retake the GMAT or if my other experiences would allay any concerns admissions would have based on my quant score and I should therefore focus more on extracurricular activities to improve my profile.

Thank you very much,
Jared
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: GMAT 720. High verbal/ weak quantitative. Should I Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:47
jarallen09 wrote:
Hi,

I just took the GMAT this weekend and scored a 720 overall with a 42 in Quantitative, a 47 in Verbal, and an 8 IR. I was wondering if the low quantitative score is too much of a red flag, which would preclude me from getting into a top ten business school.

I'm not sure how a strong quantitative background makes up for this. I have my bachelors degree in Finance with a 3.81 GPA, I have passed all three levels of the CFA exams, just waiting for a couple more month of work experience to earn the charter, and I currently work in equity research.

I am wondering if i should retake the GMAT or if my other experiences would allay any concerns admissions would have based on my quant score and I should therefore focus more on extracurricular activities to improve my profile.

Thank you very much,
Jared

jarallen09

Hi Jared, kind of depends. Where are you applying? My guess is HBS, Booth, CBS. If you are aiming for HBS they really like to see 49 or above. Are you planning to submit for round 1? If that is the case, would recommend that you put this to the side and do a bang-up job on your applications, honestly. Trying to do both with ensure that neither is done well, believe me. Your quant background does help, and CFA info can go in the optional essay and will help your case. If you really wanted to nail this down you could do MBAMath.com

I'm not sure about Round 2 for you, you are fairly overrepresented in terms of finance. Would only do that if you strongly feel that you can bring that score up 40 points by early October. Can't cut into your time for applications. If they don't like your application the GMAT won't save you.

If you are planning to apply next year, definitely bring up the score. Find a way to do this in tandem with ECs. You might want to engage a reputable tutor to fast track things. If you are applying this year, trying to put something on the board all of a sudden for your EC profile might look insincere and might do more harm than good, unless you have a track record of past involvement with that org.

Hope this helps~!
Farrell

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
GMAT 720. High verbal/ weak quantitative. Should I Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 18:59
Hi Jared,

Given how competitive the business school application process is, you really want to put your best foot forward and not leave anything to chance. Unfortunately, I have been seeing candidates with strong GPAs who worked in finance and who had compelling stories not get interviews and/or being waitlisted at the top schools (while it's difficult to point to any one reason, I suspect that the lower quant score may be a culprit). While your GPA and the CFA designation will help, you would be in a much better position by hitting at least a 49 on the quant. Hope this helps.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 16:30
jarallen09 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you very much,
Jared

Jared,

Definitely retake it. If you don't, it will look like you didn't really try. The score overall is slightly below average for the top schools and the quant is well below. In fact there are some M7s that would really be turned off by the quant and have a hard time getting over it.

Happy to discuss tutoring options to help you out or otherwise a broader strategy.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 23:11
Hi Jared,

I would recommend a retake.

It's not that I think the rest of your profile won't offset your weak performance on the quantitative section. I do believe that it will.

But given that you are targeting schools in the top 10, a higher GMAT score will be very helpful (even necessary). So if you could improve your quant score to about 47, and keep your verbal where it is, you should be looking at a 750 - that is strong ammo when you apply to top 10 schools.

If you think this is going to be difficult, then you can always explain your strong background just the way you mention in the post below - but the 720 would mean that you should look at a few schools outside the top 10 also - just to be on the safer side.

Regards,
Karthik

jarallen09 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you very much,
Jared

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 720. High verbal/ weak quantitative. Should I Retake? &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2017, 23:11

GMAT 720. High verbal/ weak quantitative. Should I Retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap