GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT STRATEGIES!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Yale Moderator
G
GPA: 3
GMAT STRATEGIES!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 07:11
Before I write this post, I'll give you a background of my GMAT Journey so far, so that most of you reading will understand where I'm coming from. Also, I feel the best way to reach out to an audience is to get them to relate to what you say!

I started my GMAT journey in July 2019, right after graduating. I do hope to go to a top 30 Business School someday. I do not have rockstar credentials that will make one say WOW! But, I do strongly believe I can make it to a top program. I'll post a more detailed write up about my journey on another post because it wouldn't do justice to this one if I went on about myself.

A high GMAT score is absolutely necessary for one to lay a strong foundation in a candidate's MBA journey. So in the subsequent posts on this thread, I'll try something different, and update you all with invaluable resources I find on GMATClub and on the Internet in General.

Be assured that I will only share things that will be as useful as they are to my preparation.

And if you wonder why I do this?
GMATClub has been instrumental in my GMAT Preparation's Progress. I see this as one of the ways I can give back to this community.
Yale Moderator
G
Re: GMAT STRATEGIES!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 08:15
An Underrated Data Sufficiency Strategy

I found Data Sufficiency absolutely dreadful when I started my GMAT journey. I would always be puzzled why the answer choice I select would be wrong almost all the time! My GMATClub Error Log Statistics would show that nearly 90% of the Data Sufficiency Questions I attempted were wrong. I used to think my Concepts weren't clear. I spent a lot of time in the first two months trying to master theory and concepts. I thought this would solve my problems. What followed is pretty obvious! I was terrible at DS. In fact worse than earlier, mainly because I would try solving more Higher Difficulty Questions. I am a person who is devastated when my effort seemingly goes to waste. And naturally, I would think that this isn't my cup of tea!

But, All successful GMAT Takers have a common Quality. Resilience! More importantly, A kind of Resilience that requires a good understanding why effort was unproductive. I decided to assess why DS was a Weak Area for myself. I realized, over my Preparation, I wasn't using a concrete strategy to tackle Questions. No strategy to tackle a certain type of Question will indefinitely yield results that are not ideal.

I explored various resources both online and offline. I was looking out for something that would work in Data Sufficiency. And after a good amount of investigation, I found this.

https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat ... video/1102

Let me tell you why I found this Video invaluable. When I tried to answer DS Questions, Especially Yes/No Types(More on Yes/No Types Below), I would falter at a step as soon as I found a value ( for eg. x = 1 would satisfy the Question) and I would quickly jump to an Answer Choice and mark it. And as it turned out every time, I was marking the wrong answers.

Data Sufficiency requires you to be Smart with the kind of numbers you pick for Variables and to satisfy Conditions.

I found this Resource a God-Send. Why? Because it teaches you to pick smartly for the kind of Values you take.

Try this out. I'll post a Question with an Example DS Problem on an updated version of this post later.

CREDIT : GMATPrepNow
This video was a part of a 16 video series that cover everything you need to know to tackle DS questions: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency
Yale Moderator
G
Re: GMAT STRATEGIES!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 06:16
A Simple, yet Effective Combinatorics Strategy

We're all extremely tired of Permutations and Combinations problems. They're extremely annoying and for the most part, really really confusing. I used to arrive at wrong answers 9/10 times! I'm reminded of a meme that was really popular way back during my school days.
Attachment:
when-you-hear-your-friends-arguing-after-the-exam-whether-23595165.png
when-you-hear-your-friends-arguing-after-the-exam-whether-23595165.png [ 90.03 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]

We all know about Ron from Manhattan Prep. He's a remarkable GMAT Expert. In this link below, Ron explains how you can skip the pain of having to use formulae after formulae for these specific Questions. And, they're just so simple and extremely effective.

Watch and you'll learn a strategy you simply won't forget.

How do you use this Video?

It's important to understand that merely watching these videos won't suffice. I would strongly advise you to watch this video first, and then pick a few questions from the OG/GMATClub and then practice them along the lines of the instructions in the video. It might take you a bit of time to get used to using these strategies for all variants of Questions, but once you do get the hang of it, you'll be able to solve Permutations and Combinations Questions quickly.

To those of you who are new to these Thursdays with Ron videos, they're the greatest free resources for the GMAT out there. And, they're all free. I'll post a link to the entire list of Thursdays with Ron as well down below.

For Verbal - https://gmatclub.com/forum/updated-thur ... fl=similar
For Quant - https://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-study- ... l#p1607954 (DOWNLOADABLE)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT STRATEGIES!   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2019, 06:16

GMAT STRATEGIES!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep