It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA vs. the chance to get offers from top business school

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GPA vs. the chance to get offers from top business school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 04:25
I looked on some schools' stats and saw that average GPA is quite high for example Sloan's MBA is about 3.6.
What if my GPA is around 3.3 and 3.6, will it have significant difference?
Assume I have 3 years of work experience and my GMAT is above average of top business schools.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GPA vs. the chance to get offers from top business school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 06:49
gzsakuraz wrote:
I looked on some schools' stats and saw that average GPA is quite high for example Sloan's MBA is about 3.6.
What if my GPA is around 3.3 and 3.6, will it have significant difference?
Assume I have 3 years of work experience and my GMAT is above average of top business schools.

Generally, the higher GPA is, the better. However, GPA needs to be put on a background to make sense.

For example, the average GPA for that school is 3.6. And your GPA is 3.4. We all know that 3.4 is much smaller than 3.6. Hence, your chance to get accepted could be low, not to mention the probability for scholarship.

However, what will happend if your score 3.4 ranked first place in your college? Moreover, your college is the top school for engineering/economics/... Now, your score 3.4 COULD help you win scholarship, let alone get accepted!

Another example, if your GPA is 3.8 but your 3 years working experience isn't impressive. Then your application will be under serious consideration. The probability of reject could get higher.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton
GPA vs. the chance to get offers from top business school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 22:20
Hi gzsakuraz,

Of course nothing better than scoring above average on both, but a higher (than median) GMAT score + lower GPA is better than a lower GMAT + higher GPA.

One, GMAT score is almost always a more (than GPA) recent reflection of your academic ability. Two, it’s more objective (everyone takes the same test under same testing conditions) than GPA. And, three, GMAT score is more noticed than GPA by prospective applicants and rankings (in U.S. News ranking, test score carries double the weight than does GPA).

Another point, GPA doesn’t tell the entire story. There are lots of nuances rolled into that single number: quality of institution, rigor of the program, challenging courses (you’re more prone to poor grades here), and standing in the class, to name few. So when GPA is juxtaposed with these layers, it may be viewed somewhat differently from what the number seems to suggest.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 18:12
Your GPA will be seen as below avg now other things like the quality of your school and rigor of your major will certainly factor in so it is not an absolute measure. Also, your GMAT can raise the perception of your aptitude so this is another area you can use as a leverage point

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 00:41
If your GMAT is solid and higher than the average then there's less pressure on the GPA for sure. It's a holistic process - you're going to need to make this up in other areas your application but it is not going to dictate the decision. Also what would be a 3.3 or 3.4 in one country would be the equivalent of a 3.6 in another. For this reason I think it's often a good idea to get a WES evaluation. My clients have included that in their applications and I think that it does help. Just keep in mind this is a holistic process if you can show how you add diversity in terms of background, industry experience at cetera then that will definitely help your cause. One of my clients recently graduated from Sloan he is Asian, tough demographic, had a 3.3 from UW Foster and so so GMAT score that I think was a 700. In his words "zero extracurriculars." However we did a really great job of articulating the uniqueness of his work experience, impact at work, and the leadership he demonstrated in his parents garment business.

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Re: GPA vs. the chance to get offers from top business school   [#permalink] 24 May 2017, 00:41

GPA vs. the chance to get offers from top business school

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap