Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:47 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619440 [4]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38848 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.25
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: If x is a positive, single-digit integer, is x prime? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Abdur,
According to you X is already a prime no (Assumption)
Can we assume it that way.
Is't the question asking whether X is prime or Not...?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
goldfinchmonster wrote:
Hi Abdur,

I just needed to go through one way by assuming x is a prime.If the statements proved that the numbers are not belongs to these prime number.then we can get another direction to verify numbers not belongs to prime number.that's me approach actually

Please let know/correct me, if I am not clear
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [4]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:
Single-digit Prime integers are 2,3,5 & 7.

Lets see if we can find them Sufficient

Statement 1 : If x=2,then 2^2 +1=5,5 is a prime number and if we put x=3,5 or 7 we can see that none of these value make x^2+1=prime. Sufficient

Statement 2 : If x=5,then 5+18=23,23 is a prime number and if we put x=2,3 or 7 we can see that none of these make x+18=prime.Sufficient

So , my Correct answer is D

This is not the correct approach.

You are correct that the question asks whether x =2,3,5,7. This is a "yes" or "no" type of DS question. Your interpretation that x has to be UNIQUE is not correct.

The question does not ask "what is x or what is the value of x" but rather asks "is x prime". If you get x =2 or 3 or 5 or 7, the answer will be "yes" while if you get x =1,4,6,8,9, you will get a "no". This is where you are making a mistake.

Per statement 1, \(x^2\)+1 = prime , for this, x can be = 1,2,4,6. If x = 1,4 or 6, answer is "no" but if x =2, answer = "yes". Hence this statement is NOT sufficient.

Per statement 2, x+18 = prime , for this, x can be = 1,5. If x = 1 answer is "no" but if x =5, answer = "yes". Hence this statement is NOT sufficient.

Combining, we get that x = 1 and this is NOT a prime number. Thus we get a unique "no" for this and hence C is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
goldfinchmonster wrote:
Hi Abdur,

Good catch. Refer to my solution above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
If x is a positive, single-digit integer, is x prime? [#permalink]
Engr2012 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Single-digit Prime integers are 2,3,5 & 7.

Lets see if we can find them Sufficient

Statement 1 : If x=2,then 2^2 +1=5,5 is a prime number and if we put x=3,5 or 7 we can see that none of these value make x^2+1=prime. Sufficient

Statement 2 : If x=5,then 5+18=23,23 is a prime number and if we put x=2,3 or 7 we can see that none of these make x+18=prime.Sufficient

So , my Correct answer is D

This is not the correct approach.

You are correct that the question asks whether x =2,3,5,7. This is a "yes" or "no" type of DS question. Your interpretation that x has to be UNIQUE is not correct.

The question does not ask "what is x or what is the value of x" but rather asks "is x prime". If you get x =2 or 3 or 5 or 7, the answer will be "yes" while if you get x =1,4,6,8,9, you will get a "no". This is where you are making a mistake.

Per statement 1, \(x^2\)+1 = prime , for this, x can be = 1,2,4,6. If x = 1,4 or 6, answer is "no" but if x =2, answer = "yes". Hence this statement is NOT sufficient.

Per statement 2, x+18 = prime , for this, x can be = 1,5. If x = 1 answer is "no" but if x =5, answer = "yes". Hence this statement is NOT sufficient.

Combining, we get that x = 1 and this is NOT a prime number. Thus we get a unique "no" for this and hence C is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your explanation.It helped me to understand my mistake
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
If x is a positive, single-digit integer, is x prime?

(1) x^2 + 1 is prime.
x could equal 1. 1 is not prime
x could equal 2. 2 is prime
x could equal 4, 6
Insufficient

(2) x + 18 is prime.
x could equal 1 or 5
Insufficient

Combined, only 1 satisfies both statements. 1 is not prime, so x is not a prime.

Answer: C
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619440 [1]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
If x is a positive, single-digit integer, is x prime?

(1) x^2 + 1 is prime.

(2) x + 18 is prime.

Kudos for a correct solution.

PRINCETON REVIEW OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Statement 1: INSUFFICIENT. To test the sufficiency of this statement, come up with values of x that satisfy the statement and then look upscreen to answer the question.

* For example, x = 1 satisfies the statement because 1^2 + 1 = 2, and 2 is prime. Now, look upscreen and go answer the question: Is x prime? If x = 1, x is not prime, so the answer is NO.
* However, x = 2 also satisfies the statement because 2^2 + 1 = 5, and 5 is prime. Again, look upscreen and answer the question: Is x prime? If x = 2, x is prime, so the answer is YES.

Now remember that if you can get both YES and NO answers to the question using the values that make a given statement true, as we did with Statement 1, that statement is insufficient: “Inconsistency = Insufficiency.”

Write BCE down on your scratch paper and go on to Statement 2 (you can write down BCE because if Statement 1 isn’t sufficient by itself, the answer can’t possibly be A or D).

Statement 2: INSUFFICIENT. Again, come up with values of x that satisfy the statement and then look upscreen to answer the question. However, this time try to recycle your work from Statement 1:

* First, check whether x = 1 satisfies Statement 2: If x = 1, x + 18 = 19, which is prime. Thus, x = 1 satisfies Statement 2, and you already know that you get a NO answer to the question when x = 1 (if x = 1, x is not prime, so the answer is NO).
* Next, check whether x = 2 satisfies Statement 2: If x = 2, x + 18 = 20, which is not prime. Thus, x = 2 does not satisfy Statement 2, so you won’t be able to use this value here.
* So far, you have only a NO answer (when x = 1), but though you couldn’t use x = 2 here, you still need to try to come up with a value for x that gives you a YES answer. In other words, you need to check whether there are any prime values of x that satisfy Statement 2.
* How about x = 3? If x = 3, x + 18 = 21, which is not prime, so you won’t be able to use x = 3 here.
* How about x = 5? If x = 5, x + 18 = 23, which is prime. Thus, x = 5 satisfies Statement 2. Again, look upscreen and answer the question: Is x prime? If x = 5, x is prime, so the answer is YES.

You now have both a YES answer (when x = 5) and a NO answer (when x = 1), so Statement 2 is insufficient.

Cross out B on your scratch paper and move on to checking whether both Statements together are sufficient to answer the question (if neither Statement is sufficient by itself, the answer can’t possibly be A, B, or D). You’re down to C vs. E.

Statements 1 & 2 Together: SUFFICIENT. Mine the overlap: x = 1 satisfies both Statements, and the answer is NO when x = 1. There were no other overlapping values between the two Statements. However, you still need to be sure that you’re not missing an overlapping value that gives you a YES answer to the question. To check, first try recycling from Statement 2 back to Statement 1:

* Does x = 5 satisfy Statement 1? If x = 5, x^2 + 1 = 26, which is not prime, so x = 5 does not satisfy Statement 1.
* You’ve now reached the moment of truth, when what you’ve learned from your sample values has to guide some thinking: For x to satisfy Statement 2 (x + 18 is prime), x has to be odd (not all odd values work, but even values won’t work because even + even = even, and 2 is the only even prime; furthermore, there’s no way you’ll get x + 18 = 2 because, don’t forget, the question told you that x has to be positive).
* Odd values other than x = 1 do not satisfy Statement 1 (x^2 + 1 is prime): An odd number squared will be odd (odd X odd = odd), and when you add 1 to an odd number, you get an even (odd + odd = even). But the only even prime is 2, and x^2 + 1 has to be prime for a particular value of x to satisfy Statement 1.
* Since only odd values satisfy Statement 2 and the only odd value that satisfies Statement 1 is x = 1, the only value that satisfies both Statements is x = 1.

Thus, there’s only one answer to the question when you combine Statements 1 & 2 (a definite NO), so Statements 1 & 2 Together are sufficient: “Consistency = Sufficiency.”

Circle answer C on your scratch paper, and you’re done with the question—nice job! (Remember, C means that neither Statement is sufficient by itself, but the Statements together are sufficient.)

The correct answer is (C).

Our sample question shows that looking to recycle sample values between the two Statements and then mining the overlap is an essential, efficient strategy on Yes/No DS. There’s a lot to keep track of (especially when you try to recycle from Statement 2 back to Statement 1), so this will take plenty of practice. Also, be sure that you keep the fundamental process firmly in mind when you’re practicing: First, find values that satisfy the Statement, then look upscreen to answer the question YES or NO. Happy practice, and good luck!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92954 posts