Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [58]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [10]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick [#permalink]
i m confused with A and E.
My pick was A. Please need help here
Thanks
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick [#permalink]
guptakashish02 wrote:
i m confused with A and E.
My pick was A. Please need help here
Thanks

Verb-ed Modifiers = Modifies preceding noun or noun phrase

Hence answer must be (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
I am still confused as to why option A is incorrect and E is. Could someone please break down why option A is incorrect?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
csaluja wrote:
I am still confused as to why option A is incorrect and E is. Could someone please break down why option A is incorrect?

Please go through the following links :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modi ... 25611.html

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/verb-ed-modifi ... modifiers/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Looking at options we can see split b/w elaborating / elaborated

So here word we need to choose should act as Modifier to Watson and Crick

Ing is used for extra or more info or Result of preceding clause.
Result is not case here , also elaborating here does not get with Watson and crick here directly as iNg must make sense with subject which is not the case here

So we need to use elaborated here
b/w D and E Scientific theories are talking about past theories , we have modeled for Watson and Crick so we need to use had for scientific theories here

So E is correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
I don't understand why there is a coma after Watson and Crick.. The sentence doesn't entirely make sense to me. Please explain.. Thanks in advance :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
AishwaryaV12 wrote:
I don't understand why there is a coma after Watson and Crick.. The sentence doesn't entirely make sense to me. Please explain.. Thanks in advance :)

You need a comma as " elaborated on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety, " is modifying the watson & cack.
otherwise you may have 2verbs ..for a subject ...which indeed u can change by adding "and " in between.
And the verb "accurately modeled"(ie adverb+verb) is the verb in action.

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Please to correct my understanding.

E. means that the idea of cardboard representation of the nucleotide subunits are based upon other scientists' theories

A. would make it seem like W&C are elaborating on the scientists' theories

is that why E is correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
The difference between A and E is very suttle. If this question were without ",+ING" then would the modification be correct?

Many of us might think that it will be correct since now it is modifying preceding noun.

Honestly. Going with the meaning, I do not see any difference between the two. If using -ed , we should use it without a "comma" that is as a verb to say W&C elaborated and modelled correctly.

If the sentence is to explain how they modelled it taking different factors into consideration , then the use of ING or "comma + ING" should be correct. I don't think it is right to reject an answer choice because of a comma splice, unless it is impacting the intended meaning, which in this case stays intact.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 2.9
Send PM