GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Oct 2018, 21:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (00:57) correct 67% (01:20) wrong based on 214 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick, elaborating on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,accurately modeled the double-helix DNA.

(A) elaborating on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,
(B) elaborating on other scientists’ theories failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,
(C) elaborating on other scientists’ theories which have failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,
(D) elaborated on other scientists’ theories which fail to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,
(E) elaborated on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety,

Please explain which verb-ing form / verb-ed form will be used in the above answer?

Also explain the reasoning behind. Thanks in advance!

Please explain the rules for present participle in case a noun phrase is preceding?

Originally posted by yuktipoddar on 04 Oct 2018, 18:20.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Oct 2018, 21:02, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Orion Director of Academics
B
Re: In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 18:41
Hey yuktipoddar,

This is a really good example of prioritizing your decision points. This doesn't have to be a case of present versus past participles. It can be a case of tenses and complete versus incomplete sentences.

In terms of tenses, you know a few things: Watson and Crick modeled DNA - that means they did this in the past, since you have that -ed ending on modeled. That means that the scientists who came before needed to do their models before Watson and Crick did theirs. And since doing a model is something that ends, you know that process was done by the time Watson and Crick started. That means that you need "had failed" to correctly deal with that timeline. That eliminates everything except A and E.

Take a look at what happens if you have -ed in there (as it is in E): "In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick, elaborated on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety, accurately modeled the double-helix DNA." That first part (up to "entirety") would be a complete sentence if that comma wasn't there. You need that "-ing" ending in there to make it clear that you aren't trying to make a compound sentence (because if you were trying to make a compound sentence you'd need an "and" after that comma or you'd need to change "modeled" to "modeling")

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 20:05
"Which" begins a non essential modifier and there should be "," before it. Is that right?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 23:18
i m confused with A and E.
My pick was A. Please need help here
Thanks
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 11:35
guptakashish02 wrote:
i m confused with A and E.
My pick was A. Please need help here
Thanks

Verb-ed Modifiers = Modifies preceding noun or noun phrase

Hence answer must be (E)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 14:05
I am still confused as to why option A is incorrect and E is. Could someone please break down why option A is incorrect?
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 22:38
csaluja wrote:
I am still confused as to why option A is incorrect and E is. Could someone please break down why option A is incorrect?

Please go through the following links :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modi ... 25611.html

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/verb-ed-modifi ... modifiers/

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 23:26
Looking at options we can see split b/w elaborating / elaborated

So here word we need to choose should act as Modifier to Watson and Crick

Ing is used for extra or more info or Result of preceding clause.
Result is not case here , also elaborating here does not get with Watson and crick here directly as iNg must make sense with subject which is not the case here

So we need to use elaborated here
b/w D and E Scientific theories are talking about past theories , we have modeled for Watson and Crick so we need to use had for scientific theories here

So E is correct answer

Give kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 01:29
I don't understand why there is a coma after Watson and Crick.. The sentence doesn't entirely make sense to me. Please explain.. Thanks in advance :)
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 12:49
AishwaryaV12 wrote:
I don't understand why there is a coma after Watson and Crick.. The sentence doesn't entirely make sense to me. Please explain.. Thanks in advance :)

You need a comma as " elaborated on other scientists’ theories which had failed to explain the nucleotide structures and pairings in their entirety, " is modifying the watson & cack.
otherwise you may have 2verbs ..for a subject ...which indeed u can change by adding "and " in between.
And the verb "accurately modeled"(ie adverb+verb) is the verb in action.

Hope it helps
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2018, 12:49

In a cardboard representation of nucleotide subunits, Watson and Crick

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap