Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to sup

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to sup  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 15:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:58) correct 57% (01:56) wrong based on 197 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to support employees who have grievances or who feel that they are being treated unfairly. Companies often hire an ombuds as a means to greater employee satisfaction. In Mountain County, all the companies that have had an ombuds for over a year have high ratings for employee satisfaction. The Eurystheus Company in Mountain County has had much lower ratings for employee satisfaction over the last five years. The CEO of Eurystheus Company has just hired an ombuds and anticipates a sharp rise in employee satisfaction ratings there.

Which of the following would be most important to determine in order to evaluate the plan described?

A. Whether CEO of Eurystheus Company plans to implement any of the recommendations of this ombuds.
B. Whether the employees of Eurystheus Company are residents of Mountain County.
C. Whether the ombuds hired has experience in other companies of Eurystheus Company’s size.
D. Whether the CEO of Eurystheus Company is aware of the typical grievance of his employees.
E. Whether some of the companies in Mountain County that now have an ombuds had significantly lower employee satisfaction ratings before they hired these ombuds.
Manager
Manager
S
In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to sup  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 15:10
I did pick the correct answer - A....I was going for C and I'm not entirely convinced why A is better.

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to sup  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 20:43
I am very doubtful A is the correct answer. E makes much more sense.

No where in the passage does it say a CEO needs to listen to an ombud for employee satisfaction to increase. Ombuds are there to support employees who have grievances or who feel that they are being treated unfairly. They are NOT there to pass recommendations to the CEO.

E on the other hand makes much more sense. If most companies had already had high employee satisfaction rating, ombuds probably did not have much to do with the increase in ratings. If companies did not have high ratings, ombuds probably had something to do with it.

Correct answer IMO is E
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 22:08
A . Negate it for making it more clear. He doesn't plan to implement any of the recommendations. So whatever the ombud suggests the CEO wont implement and employees wont be satisfied.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to sup  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 23:13
kchen1994 wrote:
I am very doubtful A is the correct answer. E makes much more sense.

No where in the passage does it say a CEO needs to listen to an ombud for employee satisfaction to increase. Ombuds are there to support employees who have grievances or who feel that they are being treated unfairly. They are NOT there to pass recommendations to the CEO.

E on the other hand makes much more sense. If most companies had already had high employee satisfaction rating, ombuds probably did not have much to do with the increase in ratings. If companies did not have high ratings, ombuds probably had something to do with it.

Correct answer IMO is E

I agree with you. Correlation does not mean causation. It might not be Ombuds that increase employee satisfaction, but simply companies that focus more on employee satisfaction have a higher probability of hiring a Ombud. Choice E confirms this and as a result, CEO of that company should not expect a sharp increase in employee satisfaction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 23:32
A. Whether CEO of Eurystheus Company plans to implement any of the recommendations of this ombuds.

IMHO this wud be the right answer: let's see how is it, in the first line of the stimulus, they said the role of the Ombuds is to support the grievance of the employee, so in order to support the CEO must listen to the recommendation of Ombuds and Implement them if not, then there is no purpose of having Ombuds

B. Whether the employees of Eurystheus Company are residents of Mountain County. IRRELEVANT

C. Whether the ombuds hired has experience in other companies of Eurystheus Company’s size. IRRELEVANT

D. Whether the CEO of Eurystheus Company is aware of the typical grievance of his employees. Typical

E. some of the companies in Mountain County that now have an ombuds had significantly lower employee satisfaction ratings before they hired these ombuds. It doesn't matter whether they have a lower satisfaction rate earlier
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 01:01
AshutoshB wrote:

IMHO this wud be the right answer: let's see how is it, in the first line of the stimulus, they said the role of the Ombuds is to support the grievance of the employee, so in order to support the CEO must listen to the recommendation of Ombuds and Implement them if not, then there is no purpose of having Ombuds

B. Whether the employees of Eurystheus Company are residents of Mountain County. IRRELEVANT

C. Whether the ombuds hired has experience in other companies of Eurystheus Company’s size. IRRELEVANT

D. Whether the CEO of Eurystheus Company is aware of the typical grievance of his employees. Typical

E. some of the companies in Mountain County that now have an ombuds had significantly lower employee satisfaction ratings before they hired these ombuds. It doesn't matter whether they have a lower satisfaction rate earlier

Supporting the Grevianve in no way implies that Greviances are taken care of.

May be , it's just more of an emotional support that people relate to. If A, is right then D is definitely right , if CEO is aware of Grevianve and not doing anything then why does he need an ombudsman? E on the other hand proves that plan has worked with other companies so there is a likelihood that plan would work.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 23:23
Got played on by words here. Worried and not convinced by OA on this one. Gladiator59 , do let me know your thoughts.

Reasons for chosing E---> Significantly lower ---> sharp increase in ratings is justified.
not significantly lower ----> this means increase wont be that sharp, maybe just a marginal improvement---> therefore this weakens the conclusion as the increase wont be that sharp.

Although A was in my final two, i did not choose it.

Reasons for rejecting A ---> This is a future event and therefore not relevant to our conclusion. For example, even if the CEO does not implement new policies per the recommendation of the OMBUDS, maybe OMBUDS by itself has certain mantras or HR gurus to mentally uplift the employees and subsequently improving the satisfaction levels.

Funny how no one above got stuck in keywords. Maybe I am on the wrong track :( Fk
Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!
Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 00:25
Hi ShankSouljaBoi, Happy to help. :-)

I think one place where you went wrong is you did not pay heed to the fact that this is an "Evaluate the plan" question-type and hence we are not worried about either strengthening or weakening the conclusion. (If there is one in the argument!)

Let us break down the argument: It has five sentences.
1.In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to support employees who have grievances or who feel that they are being treated unfairly. (Background information - just setting up the scene)
2. Companies often hire an ombuds as a means to greater employee satisfaction (Again more information about ombuds and still background).
3. In Mountain County, all the companies that have had an ombuds for over a year have high ratings for employee satisfaction. -(Okay - there is a correlation between having an ombuds and having a high rating of employee satisfaction - still gaps to fill)
4. The Eurystheus Company in Mountain County (Now finally we are going to a specific example) has had much lower ratings for employee satisfaction over the last five years. (this also reveals that Eurystheus company does not have an ombuds, as we know: all company wtih ombuds -> high rating, therefore, !high rating -> !ombuds)
5. The CEO of Eurystheus Company has just hired an ombuds and anticipates a sharp rise in employee satisfaction ratings there. This is the plan that we need to evaluate.

In evaluating a plan we need to look for an option that answers some questions which lead to a two-way street for the outcome of the plan. If the question has an affirmative answer -a definite boost is achieved in the outcome of the plan and if the question has a negative answer then the plan is affected negatively.

Only Option (A) fits the bill. If CEO is not going to listen to the ombuds then definitely the plan will not succeed and if CEO listens to the ombuds the plan may or may not succeed ( there are other gaps as we first pointed out)

Option (E) gives us information about such a plan's success elsewhere but we cannot link it directly to our company as there could be other factors. Also, there is a possibility that those companies already had a high satisfaction rating and that rating became even higher after the ombuds was hired. So (E) is definitely out.

This is a classic Evaluate plan. One has to ensure that the correct option must link back to the outcome of the plan in a tangible way. One cannot answer this question with a mindset similar to a "Strengthen the argument" question-type.

Hope this is helpful.

ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Got played on by words here. Worried and not convinced by OA on this one. Gladiator59 , do let me know your thoughts.

Reasons for chosing E---> Significantly lower ---> sharp increase in ratings is justified.
not significantly lower ----> this means increase wont be that sharp, maybe just a marginal improvement---> therefore this weakens the conclusion as the increase wont be that sharp.

Although A was in my final two, i did not choose it.

Reasons for rejecting A ---> This is a future event and therefore not relevant to our conclusion. For example, even if the CEO does not implement new policies per the recommendation of the OMBUDS, maybe OMBUDS by itself has certain mantras or HR gurus to mentally uplift the employees and subsequently improving the satisfaction levels.

Funny how no one above got stuck in keywords. Maybe I am on the wrong track :( Fk

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to sup   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2019, 00:25

In a corporate company, one role of an organizational ombuds is to sup

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics