Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20715 [201]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [52]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [32]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [24]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Since our only fixed portion is at the end of the sentence, I started by looking for a way to connect our underlined portion to "out of a total population of . . . " We basically need a ratio statement: "There are 5 million out of a total population of 116 million."

A and B give us a verb phrase--"are still in Japan." This makes "out of . . . 116" a modifier for that verb phrase, and this makes no sense.
C says that the households *are* 5 million. Households can't be a number. Also, since 5 million is a number of households and not people, the comparison that follows ends up rather jumbled. It almost sounds like the households are 5 million people.
E's trouble is a bit more subtle. What the official explanation is getting at is that we don't want to say "Despite X, still Y happens." We should say "Despite X, Y happens" or "X happens, but still Y happens."
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [10]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In the original sentence in this question, it's really saying, removing all the concrete nouns: "Even though this thing happened, this other thing is true." The first half of the sentence already contains its own subject; even though there is no verb, you could rephrase it to include a verb. "Even though the population has flowed from rural areas to urban clusters" or "Even though there has been a flow of population from rural areas to urban clusters" are more awkward writing than the OA here, but they mean essentially the same thing. "Japan" is not the subject, for one thing, and since the opening half of the sentence already contains its own implied subject, there's no need to connect it to a subject in the second half of the sentence. These are two similar sentences that are both perfectly correct:

"Despite a funding shortfall, the project was completed on time"
"Despite a funding shortfall, Beka completed the project on time"

and these are analogous to the original, because they both essentially say "Even though one thing was true, this other thing happened." There is no connection between the understood subject in the first half of the sentence and the subject in the second half.

These examples are not analogous to your Hawking or 760-scorer examples. When you say "Despite getting a 760..." there is no implied subject -- who got the 760? That needs to be stated immediately. Or when you say "An expert in astrophysics..." who is the astrophysics expert? Again, it needs to be stated immediately. If you write something like "An expert in astrophysics, the book was written by Stephen Hawking", you're suggesting "the book" is the "expert", not that Hawking is.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [3]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I like D for using From X to Y idiom.

However I always make a point of not eliminating the answer choices solely based on idiom.
So Here sentence is trying to convey that "Japan still has 5 million households." A & B very vaguely say that "5 million farm households are still in japan(and not in china)".
C is BS for the same reason as well.

D & E are good and I atually prefer the placement of "in japan" in E. But Unfortunately E uses incorrect idiom and hence D is the right answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19737 [17]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households

SC32561.01

Official Explanation

Rhetorical construction; Diction

In despite of is idiomatically incorrect; either in spite of or despite is acceptable. Also, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan is stated confusingly; the idea is not that the farm households are leaving Japan itself, but rather that people are leaving rural areas. The sentence would be more appropriately phrased if it said there are still 5 million farm households in Japan.

A. This choice is flawed for the reasons given above.

B. In spite of is correct, but, as in A, nearly 5 million . . . are still in fails to convey the intended meaning clearly.

C. Japan's farm households are still nearly 5 million is confusingly phrased. As worded, it seems to indicate that there are 5 million people on farms in Japan rather than that the number of farm households in Japan is 5 million. The intended meaning would be better conveyed if it said there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan.

D. Correct. This choice conveys the intended idea clearly and is grammatically correct.

E. The time indicator still should be placed after the verb are. That is, the appropriate sentence should read there are still nearly . . . As worded here, still could be read in a way that does not indicate time, but rather means something like nevertheless, which would be redundant, given the earlier occurrence of despite.

The correct answer is D.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [4]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Kudos
i'm unable to comprehend official explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't like the placement of "in Japan " in OA...eliminated D coz of that

I still believe "in Japan " should be placed at either the very beginning or the very end of the sentence to have a clear meaning.

Really tough

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
newyork2012 That's why it's important to start by eliminating answers that simply CANNOT work because they break a rule we can cite or because the meaning they create makes no sense. The GMAT will often present correct answers that don't feel quite right--think of that as the "protective camouflage" that prevents these answers from being spotted too easily.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

" In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan"- non idiomatic, "In despite of" does not make sense here nor convey the intended meaning that despite a steady flow of people out of rural areas...the answer needs to convey clear meaning, be idiomatically correct, and maintain proper grammatical structure.

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan- Correct in all areas mentioned above!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Scanning vertically, there are three things mainly that differ. Refer highlighted text. But i tried to POE purely based on diction.

In A and B households are still in Japan is wrong. E kind of has similar error in meaning part as both A and B have.
In C 'Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million' does make sense till this point. If we read till the end that only then we see the error that it doesn't make sense.

In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan[/u] out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan - CORRECT.

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into [#permalink]
(D) is correct because it is the only option that uses the correct "from-to" idiom.

In option (D), the idiomatic structure is as follows: ....... from ..... to...

In all the other answer choices, the incorrect idiom expression is being used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
billybealright wrote:

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

SC32561.01

Hello experts

GMATNinja
ChiranjeevSingh
GMATCoachBen
VeritasKarishma

I eliminated option on the basis of incorrect idioms, which I am unsure of.

1.From..into ( Apart from D every options uses this idiom )

2. Also 'Flow out' seems to be awkward.
Both reasons are not strong enough to evaluate answer choices.After going through the discussion, I could not understand why usage of phrase "still in Japan" is incorrect

Kindly help in clarifying errors.Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos