GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1339
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 05:30
43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:32) correct 38% (01:48) wrong based on 1581 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households


SC32561.01

_________________
"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5596
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 10:53
5
Top Contributor
6
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan --- In despite of is awful.

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan-- the correct idiom is from rural areas to urban clusters and not into urban clusters.

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million-- same from into idiom problem as in B.

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan -- proper idiom from … to used. Correct choice.

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households - from … into idiom problem

There may be other more serious mistakes such modifiction etc. But this much analysis is enough for this topic I suppose.
_________________
Testimonial

The excellent high-end materials that you gave me were, in fact, the drivers of my performance that I added the extra marks to my score
Arjun - 919884544509 / newnaren@gmail.com
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 318
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 04:24
4
4
hazelnut wrote:
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households


SC32561.01


Official Explanation

Rhetorical construction; Diction

In despite of is idiomatically incorrect; either in spite of or despite is acceptable. Also, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan is stated confusingly; the idea is not that the farm households are leaving Japan itself, but rather that people are leaving rural areas. The sentence would be more appropriately phrased if it said there are still 5 million farm households in Japan.

A. This choice is flawed for the reasons given above.

B. In spite of is correct, but, as in A, nearly 5 million . . . are still in fails to convey the intended meaning clearly.

C. Japan's farm households are still nearly 5 million is confusingly phrased. As worded, it seems to indicate that there are 5 million people on farms in Japan rather than that the number of farm households in Japan is 5 million. The intended meaning would be better conveyed if it said there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan.

D. Correct. This choice conveys the intended idea clearly and is grammatically correct.

E. The time indicator still should be placed after the verb are. That is, the appropriate sentence should read there are still nearly . . . As worded here, still could be read in a way that does not indicate time, but rather means something like nevertheless, which would be redundant, given the earlier occurrence of despite.

The correct answer is D.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 345
Location: India
Schools: Sloan '22, UVA Darden
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 01:22
2
I like D for using From X to Y idiom.

However I always make a point of not eliminating the answer choices solely based on idiom.
So Here sentence is trying to convey that "Japan still has 5 million households." A & B very vaguely say that "5 million farm households are still in japan(and not in china)".
C is BS for the same reason as well.

D & E are good and I atually prefer the placement of "in japan" in E. But Unfortunately E uses incorrect idiom and hence D is the right answer
DS Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Oct 2018
Posts: 2062
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 00:38
3
i'm unable to comprehend official explanation.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1767
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 23:41
5
3
Since our only fixed portion is at the end of the sentence, I started by looking for a way to connect our underlined portion to "out of a total population of . . . " We basically need a ratio statement: "There are 5 million out of a total population of 116 million."

A and B give us a verb phrase--"are still in Japan." This makes "out of . . . 116" a modifier for that verb phrase, and this makes no sense.
C says that the households *are* 5 million. Households can't be a number. Also, since 5 million is a number of households and not people, the comparison that follows ends up rather jumbled. It almost sounds like the households are 5 million people.
E's trouble is a bit more subtle. What the official explanation is getting at is that we don't want to say "Despite X, still Y happens." We should say "Despite X, Y happens" or "X happens, but still Y happens."
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 155
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT ToolKit User
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2019, 23:46
I don't like the placement of "in Japan " in OA...eliminated D coz of that

I still believe "in Japan " should be placed at either the very beginning or the very end of the sentence to have a clear meaning.

Really tough

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1767
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2019, 10:03
newyork2012 That's why it's important to start by eliminating answers that simply CANNOT work because they break a rule we can cite or because the meaning they create makes no sense. The GMAT will often present correct answers that don't feel quite right--think of that as the "protective camouflage" that prevents these answers from being spotted too easily.
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Dec 2019
Posts: 23
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2019, 11:49
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

" In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan"- non idiomatic, "In despite of" does not make sense here nor convey the intended meaning that despite a steady flow of people out of rural areas...the answer needs to convey clear meaning, be idiomatically correct, and maintain proper grammatical structure.



(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan- Correct in all areas mentioned above!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1177
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 14:05
5
3
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one thing at a time, and narrow down our options quickly so we know how to answer questions like this when they pop up on the GMAT! To begin, let's take a quick look at the question and highlight any major differences between the options in orange:

In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan
(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan
(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million
(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan
(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households

We have a few key things to focus on here:

1. In despite of / In spite of / Despite (Idioms)
2. into / to (Idioms)
3. how each option ends (Meaning; Construction)


Let's start with #1 on our list: in despite of / in spite of / despite. If you need to refresh your memory on these idioms, make sure to look over your study materials!

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan
(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan
(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million
(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan
(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households

The only one here that uses an incorrect phrase is option A, so let's quickly rule that one out. Now let's move onto idiom #2: into / to. The correct idiom structure we're dealing with is "from X to Y." Let's see how our options stack up:

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan
(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million
(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan
(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households

There you have it - option D is the correct choice! It's the only one that handles both idioms correctly!

I see in the comments that many of you want to know how to tackle #3 on my list, so here is how you deal with the meaning/construction issue:

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

This suggests that there may be some farm households moved outside of Japan, which isn't what we're talking about - we're talking about people moving from rural to urban areas within Japan. While you could probably assume what the writer meant, it's not 100% clear, so it's not a good option.

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

Same problem as option A.

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

This changes the intended meaning from talking about 5 million households to 5 million people. We know that most households are comprised of more than one person, so this is incredibly misleading!

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

This works because it's conveying the clearest and closest intended meaning while adhering to all the idiom rules.

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households

By placing the phrase "despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters" between commas, this turned the phrase into a non-essential clause. This piece of information is important to the intended meaning of the sentence, so giving readers the option to remove it is a bad idea. It's also not grammatically correct to say "still there are." It should be "there are still."

There you go - option D is still our answer, even if we focus on this issue first!


Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 07 Mar 2019
Posts: 1347
Location: India
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2020, 19:24
Scanning vertically, there are three things mainly that differ. Refer highlighted text. But i tried to POE purely based on diction.

In A and B households are still in Japan is wrong. E kind of has similar error in meaning part as both A and B have.
In C 'Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million' does make sense till this point. If we read till the end that only then we see the error that it doesn't make sense.

In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan[/u] out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan - CORRECT.

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 05 Jan 2019
Posts: 557
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2020, 01:24
(D) is correct because it is the only option that uses the correct "from-to" idiom.

In option (D), the idiomatic structure is as follows: ....... from ..... to...

In all the other answer choices, the incorrect idiom expression is being used.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Aug 2018
Posts: 59
CAT Tests
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2020, 07:40
billybealright wrote:
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households


SC32561.01


Hello experts

GMATNinja
ChiranjeevSingh
GMATCoachBen
VeritasKarishma

I eliminated option on the basis of incorrect idioms, which I am unsure of.

1.From..into ( Apart from D every options uses this idiom )

2. Also 'Flow out' seems to be awkward.
Both reasons are not strong enough to evaluate answer choices.After going through the discussion, I could not understand why usage of phrase "still in Japan" is incorrect

Kindly help in clarifying errors.Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
STUCKED ON '99'.KEEP REWARDING
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 10791
Location: Pune, India
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2020, 01:00
3
gmatassassin88 wrote:
billybealright wrote:
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households


SC32561.01


Hello experts

GMATNinja
ChiranjeevSingh
GMATCoachBen
VeritasKarishma

I eliminated option on the basis of incorrect idioms, which I am unsure of.

1.From..into ( Apart from D every options uses this idiom )

2. Also 'Flow out' seems to be awkward.
Both reasons are not strong enough to evaluate answer choices.After going through the discussion, I could not understand why usage of phrase "still in Japan" is incorrect

Kindly help in clarifying errors.Thanks

Posted from my mobile device


The correct idiom is 'flow from A to B'.
'Flow out' and 'flow from A into B' are incorrect.

In option (E), when we have 'still' right after the comma, it shows contrast. But we already have 'despite' to show contrast.

In option (D), 'still' acts as an adverb showing 'upto this time/as yet/even now'.
There are still 5 million farm households ...
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Aug 2018
Posts: 59
CAT Tests
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2020, 03:50
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
billybealright wrote:
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households


SC32561.01


Hello experts

GMATNinja
ChiranjeevSingh
GMATCoachBen
VeritasKarishma

I eliminated option on the basis of incorrect idioms, which I am unsure of.

1.From..into ( Apart from D every options uses this idiom )

2. Also 'Flow out' seems to be awkward.
Both reasons are not strong enough to evaluate answer choices.After going through the discussion, I could not understand why usage of phrase "still in Japan" is incorrect

Kindly help in clarifying errors.Thanks

Posted from my mobile device


The correct idiom is 'flow from A to B'.
'Flow out' and 'flow from A into B' are incorrect.

In option (E), when we have 'still' right after the comma, it shows contrast. But we already have 'despite' to show contrast.

In option (D), 'still' acts as an adverb showing 'upto this time/as yet/even now'.
There are still 5 million farm households ...


GMATNinja

Please share your reasoning in order to cement concept regarding option D&E. Thanks
_________________
STUCKED ON '99'.KEEP REWARDING
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 Apr 2020
Posts: 78
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2020, 18:52
BillyZ wrote:
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households


SC32561.01


Use PoE because there are many splits that jump out instantly as you go through the options:

1. Flow out isnt correct use - A/B/E eliminated
2. From....into isnt correct use - A/B/C/E eliminated

Only D survives after all these incorrect usages.
Hence D is the answer
_________________
Veritas Free Mock 1 : 660 (Q49/V31)
Veritas Free Mock 2 : 680 (Q50/V33)
E-GMAT SigmaX Free Mock : 610 (Q47/V26)
GMAT Official Free Practice 1 : 670 (Q50/V31)
Kaplan Free Test : 650 (Q48/V31)
MGMAT 1 Free : 610 (Q47/V28)

I will succeed, not immediately, but definitely
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Dec 2018
Posts: 64
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
CAT Tests
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2020, 00:46
Is C wrong purely from idiom perspective? I marked the correct choice too. But want to know is that the sole reason?
Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 138
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 11:59
deep31993 wrote:
Is C wrong purely from idiom perspective? I marked the correct choice too. But want to know is that the sole reason?


The only problem that I could see in C that makes it outright wrong is the use of "are" with "household". Any "be" verb is followed by a predicate that defines/describes the subject. Here "5 million" cannot define/describe "households".

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2020, 13:39
Besides idioms,

A,B seem to mean, the 5 million are in Japan but the 111(116-5) million are not.
C should be corrected to "the number of Japan's farm households"
D is correct
E: "still there are" and "there are still" don't exactly describe the same intention.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT and GRE tutors
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 3646
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2020, 20:21
gmatassassin88 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
billybealright wrote:
In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan out of a total population of some 116 million people.

(A) In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(B) In spite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, nearly 5 million farm households are still in Japan

(C) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas into urban clusters, Japan’s farm households are still nearly 5 million

(D) Despite the steady population flow from rural areas to urban clusters, there are still nearly 5 million farm households in Japan

(E) In Japan, despite the steady population flow out from rural areas into urban clusters, still there are nearly 5 million farm households


SC32561.01


Hello experts

GMATNinja
ChiranjeevSingh
GMATCoachBen
VeritasKarishma

I eliminated option on the basis of incorrect idioms, which I am unsure of.

1.From..into ( Apart from D every options uses this idiom )

2. Also 'Flow out' seems to be awkward.
Both reasons are not strong enough to evaluate answer choices.After going through the discussion, I could not understand why usage of phrase "still in Japan" is incorrect

Kindly help in clarifying errors.Thanks

Posted from my mobile device


The correct idiom is 'flow from A to B'.
'Flow out' and 'flow from A into B' are incorrect.

In option (E), when we have 'still' right after the comma, it shows contrast. But we already have 'despite' to show contrast.

In option (D), 'still' acts as an adverb showing 'upto this time/as yet/even now'.
There are still 5 million farm households ...


GMATNinja

Please share your reasoning in order to cement concept regarding option D&E. Thanks

I think VeritasKarishma covered it nicely in this post, but I'll add one thing:

In (D) we have, "flow from rural areas to urban clusters," while in (E) we have, "flow out from rural areas into urban clusters." The phrase "flow out of... into" is sometimes okay (i.e. "Money flows out of one account and into another."). But in this case, there's no need to use "flow out from [X] into [Y]" instead of the much simpler and clearer "flow from [X] to [Y]". This isn't a DEFINITE error, but that's definitely a vote in favor of (D) over (E).

Combined with the point made by VeritasKarishma and others regarding the placement of "still", (D) is a better choice.
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutors @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | YouTube | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2020, 20:21

In despite of the steady population flow out from rural areas into

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne