GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jul 2018
Posts: 7
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 10:50
1
1
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:59) correct 41% (01:50) wrong based on 196 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?


1) 4n is the square of an integer

2) n^3 is the square of an integer
examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1140
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 04:46
2
This is a bit abstract, it's best to use the Alternative approach and plug in numbers:
1) the condition holds and answer is "yes" for 1 and 4, "yes" for 4 and 16, yes for 16 and 64... and so on! sufficient!
2)this condition holds, and the answer is "yes" for 1 & 1, 4 and 64, for whom the answer is "yes" - sufficient!
D.
_________________
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1810
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 12:28
2
If a number is the square of an integer, then in the prime factorization of that number, all of the exponents will be even. For example, (3^8)(5^6) is the square of an integer (it is the square of (3^4)(5^3) ) whereas (3^7)(5^6) is not.

Statement 1 tells us that in the prime factorization of (2^2)(n), all of the exponents are even. The prime factorization of n is identical to that of (2^2)(n) except that in n, the exponent on the '2' is smaller by two, and subtracting two doesn't change an even number to an odd number. So if the exponents in (2^2)(n) are even, so are the exponents in n, and Statement 1 is sufficient.

Statement 2 tells us that in the prime factorization of n^3, all of the exponents are even. The exponents in the prime factorization n^3 are all 3 times as big as the exponents in the prime factorization of n. Multiplying by 3 doesn't change evenness or oddness, so if all the exponents in n^3 are even, so are the exponents in n, and Statement 2 is also sufficient.

The answer is D.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 930
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 04:36
Pdirienzo wrote:
Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?


1) 4n is the square of an integer

2) n^3 is the square of an integer


prime factorization is key. too hard problemn

4n =a^2
prime factorization a^2= x^2k=x^2 or x^4 or x^6...
4n=x^2k
x^2k= even
x=even
x=(2y)^2k
n must be a square

go to 2 nd condition
n^3=a^2
a^2 = x^2a*y^2b, with x,y are prime
n^3=x^2a*y^2b , this mean a and b must be multiple of 3
this mean 2a and 2b are multiple of 6
n^3=x^6k*y^6m
this mean
n=x^2k*y^2m
this mean n is a squre of integer.

too hard.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 10 Apr 2018
Posts: 266
Location: United States (NC)
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 20:42
Hi,

Here are my two cents for this question

lets say if we write n in term of its prime factors then n = \(A^{P}*B^{Q}*C^{R}\), where A, B , C are prime numbers and P, Q R are non negative integers.

Now if the powers of prime factors of n are even we can say that n is perfect square

Now Statement 1:
4n = \(I^{2}\)
which means
2^{2}[/m]n = \(I^{2}\)
taking square root on both the sides we have
\(\sqrt{2^{2}n}\)= \(\sqrt{I^{2}}\)
2 \(\sqrt{n}\) = I
For LHS to be equal to RHS \(\sqrt{n}\) has to be integer, This can be possible only when the powers of prime factors of n are even) , which implies that n is perfect square

Now Statement 2
\(n^{3}\)= \(A^{3P}*B^{3Q}*C^{3R}\),
we are told that \(n^{3}\)=\(I^{2}\)
\(A^{3P}*B^{3Q}*C^{3R}\)=\(I^{2}\)
taking square root on both sides we have

\(\sqrt{(A^{3P}*B^{3Q}*C^{3R})}\) = I
this means P Q R are even
this means that n is a perfect square

Hence Answer Choice D
_________________
Probus

~You Just Can't beat the person who never gives up~ Babe Ruth
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Don't Give Up!
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 05:33
Probus wrote:
Hi,

Here are my two cents for this question

lets say if we write n in term of its prime factors then n = \(A^{P}*B^{Q}*C^{R}\), where A, B , C are prime numbers and P, Q R are non negative integers.

Now if the powers of prime factors of n are even we can say that n is perfect square

Now Statement 1:
4n = \(I^{2}\)
which means
2^{2}[/m]n = \(I^{2}\)
taking square root on both the sides we have
\(\sqrt{2^{2}n}\)= \(\sqrt{I^{2}}\)


2 \(\sqrt{n}\) = I
For LHS to be equal to RHS \(\sqrt{n}\) has to be integer, This can be possible only when the powers of prime factors of n are even) , which implies that n is perfect square

Now Statement 2
\(n^{3}\)= \(A^{3P}*B^{3Q}*C^{3R}\),
we are told that \(n^{3}\)=\(I^{2}\)
\(A^{3P}*B^{3Q}*C^{3R}\)=\(I^{2}\)
taking square root on both sides we have

\(\sqrt{(A^{3P}*B^{3Q}*C^{3R})}\) = I
this means P Q R are even
this means that n is a perfect square

Hence Answer Choice D



One Doubt ... In explanation of first statement Can square root of n = decimal.....and then 2 * decimal equal to integer
_________________
- Sachin

-If you like my explanation then please click "Kudos"
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Posts: 53
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20
Premium Member
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 13:48
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
This is a bit abstract, it's best to use the Alternative approach and plug in numbers:
1) the condition holds and answer is "yes" for 1 and 4, "yes" for 4 and 16, yes for 16 and 64... and so on! sufficient!
2)this condition holds, and the answer is "yes" for 1 & 1, 4 and 64, for whom the answer is "yes" - sufficient!
D.



Hi DavidTutorexamPAL, Situation 1 is not true for integer 3. The square of 3 is 9. Hence, 4n equals 9 which gives n as 9/4. Thus it implies that n is not the square of an integer.
OA being D, can you please clarify what is wrong in my approach?
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1810
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 16:07
shobhitkh wrote:
Situation 1 is not true for integer 3. The square of 3 is 9. Hence, 4n equals 9 which gives n as 9/4. Thus it implies that n is not the square of an integer.
OA being D, can you please clarify what is wrong in my approach?


The question tells us that n is an integer, so n cannot be 9/4.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1257
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2019, 03:45
The question says: "n" is a positive integer. So, 9/4 is positive integer? No. Whatever you do in statement 1, n must be positive integer.
shobhitkh wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
This is a bit abstract, it's best to use the Alternative approach and plug in numbers:
1) the condition holds and answer is "yes" for 1 and 4, "yes" for 4 and 16, yes for 16 and 64... and so on! sufficient!
2)this condition holds, and the answer is "yes" for 1 & 1, 4 and 64, for whom the answer is "yes" - sufficient!
D.



Hi DavidTutorexamPAL, Situation 1 is not true for integer 3. The square of 3 is 9. Hence, 4n equals 9 which gives n as 9/4. Thus it implies that n is not the square of an integer.
OA being D, can you please clarify what is wrong in my approach?


Posted from my mobile device
_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2019, 03:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is the positive integer n the square of an integer?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne