GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Re: Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 21:13
Dear Russ,

You could go by the logical meaning. How did she turn the tide of victories?--by liberating, and not by persuading. Persuading someone doesn't secure a victory--liberating does.

But you could also have rejected the options starting with "persuading". One persuades someone else, so in C and E, "Charles" should have come immediately after "persuading".

Finally, the use of a "that" after "persuading" (when a noun immediately follows the other supposedly parallel fragment, "liberating") should have raised a flag: are the portions really parallel?

--Prasad

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Intern
Intern
Re: Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 21:31
russ9 wrote:
Hi All,

I know that this was touched in many of the previous post's but I still have a question:

Ignoring other idiom issues, I ended up with "e" because i made the error of making "liberating" parallel to "persuading". I did this because I read backwards from "and" and made both ends of "and" parallel (Liberating and persuading).

How would I have known to go and make "turned" parallel to the second half?

Hi russ9,

Let’s try to figure out the difference in the original sentence and options D & E.

Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman
who claimed to be divinely inspired,
o turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans
• and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

MEANING

• The sentence tells us that a young Frenchwoman Joan of Arc turned the tide of English victories in her country. How did she do so? By liberating the city of Orleans.

o By the way, she claimed to be divinely inspired.

• Also, she persuaded Charles VII to claim his throne.

So, Joan of Arc did two things:
1. Turned the tide of English victories.
2. Persuaded Charles VII to claim his throne.

Now, let’s consider option E.

Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country
• by
o liberating the city of Orleans
o and persuading that Charles VII of France should claim his throne.

MEANING

• Joan of Arc turned the tide of English victories. How did she do so?

o By liberating the city of Orleans.

o And by persuading that Charles VII of France should claim his throne.

ERRORS

1. Now, it’s not clear from the sentence whom did Joan of Arc persuade?

2. Also, the action of persuading did not turn the tide of English victories. It was the action of liberating the city of Orleans that turned the tide.

3. ‘persuade’ is a verb that requires a use of infinitive (to + verb).

I persuaded him that he should go abroad for higher studies. (Incorrect)

I persuaded him to go abroad for higher studies. (Correct)

Option D corrects all these errors. (Note the use of ‘persuaded …. to claim’)

o turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans
o and persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

TAKE AWAYS

Our main focus should be on the intended meaning of the sentence. Specially in case of verb-ing modifiers, it becomes more important to focus on the meaning.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 02:00
betterscore wrote:
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

(A) she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
(B) persuaded Charles VII of France in claiming his throne
(C) persuading that the throne be claimed by Charles VII of France
(D) persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
(E) persuading that Charles VII of France should claim the throne

in this context. "she" in A can be understand to be another person, not Joan.

this is one important point to see.

but in other context, a pronoun as subject of following clause can refer to subject of preceding clause.
in many questions form og, we have this case and the pronouns become not ambiguous.

i do not remember any questions now.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 02:19
we see , in many og questions, the pronoun in the second clause appear in oa. This case proves that not keeping the subject is preference not absolute rule

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 16:24
kamalkicks wrote:
first step
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

the sentence construction is as follows :-

Joan of Arc,------, turned-------- and she persuaded-----.

the sentence construction should be :-

Joan of Arc,------, turned-------- and persuaded-----.

so strike off A,C & E.

so idiomatically D is the answer.

Try to convert passive voice to active. JoA liberated the city of New Orleans, JoA turned the tide, JoA persuaded Charles.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 10:55
Shouldn't there be a COMMA before AND to make it parallel? Without the comma I read "Joan ... turned ... by liberating and persuaded"
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 14:58
Tabur
You mean that there should be a comma before 'and,' which is not underlined? Why would anyone bother about a non-underlined part?

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 09:49
betterscore wrote:

As far I know SC is the beauty contest taught by Ron. But, I did not get any beauty contest in this correct answer option (D). Here is given the short version of B and D.
B) Joan of Arc turned the tide of English victories by liberating the city and persuaded Charles VII of France in claiming his throne
D) Joan of Arc turned the tide of English victories by liberating the city and persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
Despite the red color failed to make beauty of the sentence, D is the correct answer. But How is it possible?

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 06:32
betterscore wrote:

A This independent clause is incorrect because the verb "Charles VII" already shares the subject of sentence ("Joan of Arc") with the prior element in the list. We know this phrase isn't an independent clause because it's not preceded by a comma + conjunction.
B "Persuade ... in" is not idiomatic.
C "Persuading" is not parallel with "turned."
D Correct.
E "Persuading" is not parallel with turned.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V21
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 10:10
blueseas wrote:
ashishyadav wrote:
Hello all,

I have a question/doubt in this question

Why not liberating is in parallel with persuading ?
It can be viewed as Joan of arc turned the tide of english victories in her country by doing two tasks :

1. by liberating the city of orleans
2. by persuading charles VII of france to claim his throne.

Why these two things not in parallel ??, and thus why C is not an answer??

Yes , C and E have an idiom error, but if we fix the idiom error, they may be the answer ?. So , my basic question is , why the above two are not parallel??

Hope somone would answer my query !! :( :( Confused

Hi ashish,

i think you just misinterpreted the meaning of the sentence:
original sentence:

in this the highlited part is a noun modifier and is modifying the noun JOAN OF ARC....now youmust know that a sentence must convey its meaning gramatically without its modifier...so lets remove the modifier part.'
sentence becomes:
Joan of Arc TURNED the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans AND she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.
now if you see here in this sentence....you can figure out that SHE is refering to JOAN OF ARC....
SO joan of arc TURNED ..........AND JOAN OF ARC PERSUADED.......
now whenever you have a parallelism marker such as AND here....then both sides must be parallel...
MOREOVER whenever you have two actions(verb)...and 1 subject then you must always connect those verb by a conjunction and always remove the subject of second part ..because it will be redundant and hence wrong gramatically.

so here you focus in order to correct the sentence should be.....make the two verbs ...turned and persuaded ..parallel
connect them properly by a conjunction such as AND
REMOVE THE SUBJECT OF THE SECOND PART...means remove SHE from second pa
rt.
so till now must have understood thet here we dont have to make liberating and persuading parallel...
rather
we have to make two verbs parallel..
all this error are removed in option D
(D) persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne...

HOPE IT HELPS..

Thanks a lot for the lucid explanation.
Can anyone please provide link for similar type of questions.
Also share some useful tips to avoid superficial parallelism.
Do we need to focus on meaning only to avoid such type of mistakes?

If you appreciate my post then please click +1Kudos :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 10:27

(A) she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne - two ICs “Joan of Arc turned…” and “she persuaded…” are connected using “and” -- This is incorrect ; to rectify the error we can remove she

(B) persuaded Charles VII of France in claiming his throne - the expression “in claiming” is unidiomatic

(C) persuading that the throne be claimed by Charles VII of France - This choice makes “persuading” parallel to “liberating”. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. Turning the tide of victories has nothing to do with persuading.

(D) persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne - Correct

(E) persuading that Charles VII of France should claim the throne -- same as C ; usage of “should” with a subjunctive verb “persuading”.

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 20:22
problem in choice A is that
"she" dosenot seemingly refer to Jone arc. why we add 'she" to make confusion./

this point is more basic than "COMMA+FANBOYS". I dont think gmat test comma+fansboy.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 17:45
Hi betterscore,

Thank you for your question. Let's start by finding the most obvious differences between each answer and narrowing things down from there.

The first thing that jumped out after glancing over this quickly is the difference between persuaded/persuading. This is a case of using parallel format between both actions Joan of Arc does: "turned the tide of the English victories" and "persuaded Charles VII." These both need to be in past tense to be parallel, so let's rule out the answers that use "persuading": C & E.

Next, let's get rid of answer A because the added pronoun "she" is confusing and unnecessary. It might mislead readers to think Joan of Arc turned the tide, but some other woman persuaded Charles VII.

Finally, we're left with answers B & D. Let's break down what each answer really means:

B: persuaded Charles VII of France in claiming his throne
This is an indirect way of saying this, and could be confusing for readers. Readers might mistake this to mean Joan of Arc would be taking the throne and not the king.

D: persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne
This is the CORRECT answer because it's clear and concise. There is no mistaking what the sentence means, and it uses parallel format.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 22:45
thangvietnam wrote:
problem in choice A is that
"she" dosenot seemingly refer to Jone arc. why we add 'she" to make confusion./

this point is more basic than "COMMA+FANBOYS". I dont think gmat test comma+fansboy.

Hello thangvietnam,

I do not quite agree to your analysis.

In this official sentence, the name of only one woman is mentioned - Joan of Arc. Hence Joan of Arc is the only logical noun antecedent for the pronoun she.

The sentence most certainly has the structure error. The two independent clauses have been connected just be and. Such connection is certainly an error on GMAT SC. GMAT SC does test the correct usage of connectors in such cases.

Thanks, :-)
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 09:12
oan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

We can't connect 2 ICs with and.
We must use ,and ((comma and FANBOY conjunction)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 09:22
daagh wrote:
An important thumb rule to follow while handling compound sentences is the omission of the subject in the second IC, if the subject of first IC can fit in as well as the subject. Here the subject of both the ICs is Joan and hence you can drop the pronoun – she - in the second IC. The whole sentence will still be //. Secondly, the right idiom is to claim. Both these combinations, you find in choice D only

Sir, Please explain why in claiming is wrong?
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 00:04
Priyansha7 wrote:
daagh wrote:
An important thumb rule to follow while handling compound sentences is the omission of the subject in the second IC, if the subject of first IC can fit in as well as the subject. Here the subject of both the ICs is Joan and hence you can drop the pronoun – she - in the second IC. The whole sentence will still be //. Secondly, the right idiom is to claim. Both these combinations, you find in choice D only

Sir, Please explain why in claiming is wrong?

Hi Priyansha7, I believe Sir meant that persuade someone to do something is correct idiom, whereas persuade someone in doing something is not.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired,   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2018, 00:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap