It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 04:56

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg vs Sloan vs Booth

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.78
Kellogg vs Sloan vs Booth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 08:26
I have been fortunate to be admitted to these amazing schools and I would like to hear other people's opinion.
Post MBA goal is either Tech or Management Consulting so all three schools are a great fit.
I kinda feel that all three schools share the same reputation and tier...

Would love to hear your thought about it
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 08:34
Hi Congratulations!
I know a friend who graduated from Sloan and is working as a Sr. Project manager for Amazon. She had an average profile and wasn’t the top of her class or anything. I don’t know about the other schools much but Sloan attracts a lot of the tech giants. So if Tech is one of your areas of interest Sloan is very good for that.

Good luck in your decision making and I’m sure you are a stellar candidate and will prosper anywhere. Getting an admit from all three speaks for itself.

Could you please share your profile with us? As in GMAT, WE and current location?

Thank you and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Kellogg vs Sloan vs Booth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 08:40
Wow! Congratulations on the Admits!

The 3 programs are amazing and each with a distinct personality - it is kind of like picking between Audi, Mercedes, and BMW..... and I think it will be as hard for a Consulting/Tech employer to choose between a grad from K, B, or S as it is for you.

I don't think there is a wrong choice is what I am saying. You will have to work your butt off for the best recruiting spots (it is not like you would be handed something at Booth while having to work for it at Sloan or vice versa). Would definitely visit each campus/admit weekend if possible to see the commute and living situation. Kellogg is somewhat removed from Chicago and Booth is not in a great neighborhood so everyone takes the train in. You get the idea. I would not so much pay attention and make your opinion about the entire program/school based on the Admit Weekend interactions with 2nd year students or anyone really. Every school has both great and pathetic people and it would be shortsighted to make the decision if you only saw one side of the story.

Congrats!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 13:36
Have you asked Kellogg admissions if you can delay the decision deadline by a week so you can attend Sloan’s admit weekend?

In a similar situation and was just given a flat out ‘no’ when I asked politely. Surprised they were so unhelpful.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 10:31
zenogen wrote:
Have you asked Kellogg admissions if you can delay the decision deadline by a week so you can attend Sloan’s admit weekend?

In a similar situation and was just given a flat out ‘no’ when I asked politely. Surprised they were so unhelpful.

Would you mind elaborating on that conversation with admissions a bit? I'm preparing to ask for that extension (2 weeks, though, not a week) and wondering how your's played out.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 10:55
zenogen wrote:

Well... you can see it from their perspective. If your girlfriend or boyfriend asked to move the Friday night date to next week so that they could go out with another person and check them out. You probably would not be the usual accommodating nice you.

Schools usually have policies and hard deadlines that apply in 99.9% of the cases. They set them specifically around other schools deadlines, R2 decisions, and other factors. They try to maximize yield (all schools do). Their goal is to get as many people in whom they invited as possible. Being accommodating is probably not helpful for that. My guess is they also feel that they have a better chance of you choosing them before attending Sloan weekend than after (frankly Admit weekends are a show and are not a mirror reflection of the school but they are helpful).

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 14:08
thepalisades wrote:

Would you mind elaborating on that conversation with admissions a bit? I'm preparing to ask for that extension (2 weeks, though, not a week) and wondering how your's played out.

I called to talk about a few things and then asked the question. Honestly I didn't think a week extension would be a big deal so essentially said I was leaning towards Kellogg wanted to make sure I was 100% sure I was choosing the right school, and if there was a procedure in place if I were to make a request for just a few days' extension. It sounded as though they were reading from a script and basically rolled out a bunch of reasons why they wouldn't help. Please let me know how your discussion goes with Kellogg!

bb wrote:
Well... you can see it from their perspective. If your girlfriend or boyfriend asked to move the Friday night date to next week so that they could go out with another person and check them out. You probably would not be the usual accommodating nice you.

To use your analogy...there's no commitment here and Kellogg isn't my partner yet. haha ;) Everyone knows we're dating multiple people and there is absolutely no exclusivity assumed this early!

But, yes, you're right, I do see this now. However, (and perhaps I'm being a little naive here!) I thought schools cared a lot about 'fit'; after all, they go on about it so much! For Kellogg to effectively say: "Actually, we care more about our yield than whether you think we're the right fit" felt kinda strange. I get it, but it certainly didn't make me feel good about Kellogg, which is a shame. Maybe it's not this simple, but I do wonder why Sloan have scheduled their admit weekend after other peer schools' decisions deadlines.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 14:23
Ha-ha. True - my GF analogy was not a great one. I guess if they provided an extension to anyone who asked (and then posted about it on GMAT Club), then they would have a de facto extension for everyone.

Fit does not show up in Rankings. Yield does.

P.S. interesting about Sloan scheduling the admit weekend so late... as i said, the admit weekends are a show and you won't see all of your classmates either - you just see the R1 folks who may or may not enroll, so you may see an arrogant Stanford admit who stopped by to check Sloan out and totally gave a bad vibe but you don't know that. He/she likely won't attend. The same way, so who will cannot make it to the event, and R2 folks are not there - i am really struggling for a good analogy here - maybe like trying to use a spyglass while riding a horse... I think the events are great.

Anecdotally, from my weekend, I only remembered one person who was insecure and came off as an arrogant duche and totally turned me off. He was admitted and said he was going. Made me reconsider my decision - i kid you not. He turned out to be a nice guy, not particularly bright one but nice, funny, and we spent a fair share of time hanging out. Another guy who was really bothering me during the first week of team exercises and team building turned out to be my roommate 2nd year. If we don't focus on the fact that I am an unreliable witness and can't read people, I could argue that at these events and during the first few weeks of BSchool, everyone is uncomfortable and everyone is a little insecure. Most likely, you won't really get a real feel for that elusive fit Kellogg talks about.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.78

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 23:17
zenogen wrote:
thepalisades wrote:

I called to talk about a few things and then asked the question. Honestly I didn't think a week extension would be a big deal so essentially said I was leaning towards Kellogg wanted to make sure I was 100% sure I was choosing the right school, and if there was a procedure in place if I were to make a request for just a few days' extension. It sounded as though they were reading from a script and basically rolled out a bunch of reasons why they wouldn't help. Please let me know how your discussion goes with Kellogg!

bb wrote:

To use your analogy...there's no commitment here and Kellogg isn't my partner yet. haha ;) Everyone knows we're dating multiple people and there is absolutely no exclusivity assumed this early!

But, yes, you're right, I do see this now. However, (and perhaps I'm being a little naive here!) I thought schools cared a lot about 'fit'; after all, they go on about it so much! For Kellogg to effectively say: "Actually, we care more about our yield than whether you think we're the right fit" felt kinda strange. I get it, but it certainly didn't make me feel good about Kellogg, which is a shame. Maybe it's not this simple, but I do wonder why Sloan have scheduled their admit weekend after other peer schools' decisions deadlines.

I did not ask for an extension from any school and from what I see from you iI wont even try :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 14:17
Weirdly enough, Kellogg said nope to the extension, but Wharton extended mine. Take that as you will, but you might be able to get one for Booth!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 16:49
If you are looking to go into Tech or Mgmt Consulting then go for Sloan. Those are Sloan's top industries. Both Kellogg and Sloan have great cultures and class size. So if you might be interested in tech than Sloan is the no brainer in my opinion.
Re: Kellogg vs Sloan vs Booth   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2018, 16:49

Kellogg vs Sloan vs Booth

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap