It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:01

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always cent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [3], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always cent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (02:15) correct 21% (01:43) wrong based on 1034 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always centered on hamburger, added its first vegetarian sandwich, much lower in fat than the chain’s other offerings. Despite heavy marketing, the new sandwich accounts for a very small proportion of the chain’s sales. The sandwich’s sales would have to quadruple to cover the costs associated with including it on the menu. Since such an increase is unlikely, the chain would be more profitable if it dropped the sandwich.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Although many of the chain’s customers have never tried the vegetarian sandwich, in a market research survey most of those who had tried it reported that they were very satisfied with it.

(B) Many of the people who eat at the chain’s restaurants also eat at the restaurants of competing chains and report no strong preference among the competitors.

(C) Among fast-food chains in general, there has been little or no growth in hamburger sales over the past several years as the range of competing offerings at other restaurants has grown.

(D) When even one member of group of diner’s is a vegetarian or has a preference for low-fat food, the group tends to avoid restaurants that lack vegetarian or low-fat menu options.

(E) An attempt by the chain to introduce a lower-fat hamburger failed several years ago, since it attracted few new customers and most of the chain’s regular customers greatly preferred the taste of the regular hamburger.

OG 2017 New Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3052 [3], given: 220

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always cent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 20:59
If revenue from veg sandwich is lower than cost , the only way to bump up the revenue is to increase the sale . When sales increase to at least a level where revenue atleast equals to the cost , then veg sandwich will atleast not cause any loss and the restaurant can just take away the same profit without dropping the veg sandwich.

(D) says , if atleast one member prefers veg in group , may be for the sake of friendship everyone opts for veg , then this options suggests that for on's preference atleast 2 customer will buy a veg sandwich. Well , this certainly boosts sales a bit or atleast increases the chance of it.

Hence D is the answer

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16
Re: Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always cent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 08:51
D for me too.as it indicates from 1 customer the whole group would start eating and slowly sales would grow

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 22:33
Option "E" is also a contender but "attracted few new customers" makes it unlikely to increase the profit of the company.

D wins.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 15:47
AbdurRakib wrote:
Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always centered on hamburger, added its first vegetarian sandwich, much lower in fat than the chain’s other offerings. Despite heavy marketing, the new sandwich accounts for a very small proportion of the chain’s sales. The sandwich’s sales would have to quadruple to cover the costs associated with including it on the menu. Since such an increase is unlikely, the chain would be more profitable if it dropped the sandwich.

A) Although many of the chain’s customers have never tried the vegetarian sandwich, in a market research survey most of those who had tried it reported that they were very satisfied with it.
B) Many of the people who eat at the chain’s restaurants also eat at the restaurants of competing chains and report no strong preference among the competitors.
C) Among fast-food chains in general, there has been little or no growth in hamburger sales over the past several years as the range of competing offerings at other restaurants has grown.
D) When even one member of group of diner’s is a vegetarian or has a preference for low-fat food, the group tends to avoid restaurants that lack vegetarian or low-fat menu options.
E) An attempt by the chain to introduce a lower-fat hamburger failed several years ago, since it attracted few new customers and most of the chain’s regular customers greatly preferred the taste of the regular hamburger.

OG 2017 New Question

Hi , Can someone help with why A is not a contender. If people are satisfied , they will keep buying it. And the firm will be at least as profitable as it is now or even more with word of mouth publicity.

It is not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 02:08
D for me too ... The conclusion that dropping it makes the most sense is suffers maximum impact via D

Best Regards,
Ashwini

Kudos if it was helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 02:22
OA is out of scope since you cannot contest the supporting arguments to weaken the argument rather you attack the conclusion to weaken the argument.

Sent from my SM-G925I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 05:32
KarishmaParmar wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) Although many of the chain’s customers have never tried the vegetarian sandwich, in a market research survey most of those who had tried it reported that they were very satisfied with it.
B) Many of the people who eat at the chain’s restaurants also eat at the restaurants of competing chains and report no strong preference among the competitors.
C) Among fast-food chains in general, there has been little or no growth in hamburger sales over the past several years as the range of competing offerings at other restaurants has grown.
D) When even one member of group of diner’s is a vegetarian or has a preference for low-fat food, the group tends to avoid restaurants that lack vegetarian or low-fat menu options.
E) An attempt by the chain to introduce a lower-fat hamburger failed several years ago, since it attracted few new customers and most of the chain’s regular customers greatly preferred the taste of the regular hamburger.

OG 2017 New Question

Hi , Can someone help with why A is not a contender. If people are satisfied , they will keep buying it. And the firm will be at least as profitable as it is now or even more with word of mouth publicity.

Hi! Karishma,

Consumers reported that they were satisfied, but it doesn't mean that they will go and eat the sandwich again :)

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 31

WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 20:26
KarishmaParmar wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

The profit of the chain is not just becuase of sandwhich but also from selling other items. Option a does not gaurantee that people will be buying other items.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 17:28
hi KarishmaParmar the preference does not say that i will come and buy the hamburger. So in most likely no increase in revenue

KarishmaParmar wrote:

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [1], given: 220

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS

A) Although many of the chain’s customers have never tried the vegetarian sandwich, in a market research survey most of those who had tried it reported that they were very satisfied with it. ------> Another market research surveys may contradict to this report

B) Many of the people who eat at the chain’s restaurants also eat at the restaurants of competing chains and report no strong preference among the competitors. -----> Irrelevant information to this agruement
C) Among fast-food chains in general, there has been little or no growth in hamburger sales over the past several years as the range of competing offerings at other restaurants has grown. -------->previous data of no growth don't weak future growth because customers preference may change dramatically

D) When even one member of group of diner’s is a vegetarian or has a preference for low-fat food, the group tends to avoid restaurants that lack vegetarian or low-fat menu options. ........> CORRECT.This information shows how one customer with low fat food preference can pull other customers to the restaurant,increasing sales of the restaurant
E) An attempt by the chain to introduce a lower-fat hamburger failed several years ago, since it attracted few new customers and most of the chain’s regular customers greatly preferred the taste of the regular hamburger...... INCORRECT as answer choice C.

Md. Abdur Rakib

Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
KarishmaParmar wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Hi KarishmaParmar ,

A) Although many of the chain’s customers have never tried the vegetarian sandwich, in a market research survey most of those who had tried it reported that they were very satisfied with it. ------> Another market research surveys may contradict to this report.Overall surveys may not reflect actual impact.But Answer Choice D weakens the argument the most

Md. Abdur Rakib

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 348

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 04:21
It took me lot of time to make sense out of D.
Argument says Dropping of sandwich from menu is more profitable.
What if Keeping it on menu is profitable.
D exactly conveys the same , even if the other group members have sandwich or burger ,Overall sale is increased because of sandwich.

please correct me if I am wrong, or I am assuming too much

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 348

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 09:45
Option A in a way restates the information given in argument that a small proportion prefer low fat sandwiches. This info does not affect our conclusion and hence doesn't weaken it.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 42

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1064 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 10:50

Type - Weaken
Boil it down - Since sandwhich's sales is unlikely to quadruple , it's removal from menu will be more profitable
Pre- Thinking - Even if the restaurant has not made a break even with respect to sandwhich , we need to find some alternate reason due to which it's increasing the profitability

A) Although many of the chain’s customers have never tried the vegetarian sandwich, in a market research survey most of those who had tried it reported that they were very satisfied with it. Incorrect

Irrelevant
C) Among fast-food chains in general, there has been little or no growth in hamburger sales over the past several years as the range of competing offerings at other restaurants has grown. Irrelevant
Correct answer - matches our pre-thinking answer
E) An attempt by the chain to introduce a lower-fat hamburger failed several years ago, since it attracted few new customers and most of the chain’s regular customers greatly preferred the taste of the regular hamburger. Out of scope

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1064 [0], given: 90

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 10:25
Option D : When even one member of group of diner’s is a vegetarian or has a preference for low-fat food, the group tends to avoid restaurants that lack vegetarian or low-fat menu options.

The option does not specifically mentions FAST FOOD RESTURANTS , it says restaurants how can one deduce that group of people would visit a FAST FOOD resturant over a regular resturant.....

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always cent   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2017, 10:25

Last year a chain of fast-food restaurants, whose menu had always cent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap