Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 15:20 It is currently 13 May 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [42]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 5221 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: My Journey to a 770 (50Q, 46V) [#permalink]
Hello Sobes4life ...welcome to the community. CONGRATULATIONs on such a stellar score.

Wish you all the best for the Application Process.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2234 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi Sobes4life

Welcome to GMAT Club
A great debrief and Congratulations on the Amazing 770.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22208 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow, Sobes4life, you rocked out!! I’m so glad that Target Test Prep was instrumental in your success.

Good luck with your applications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1036
Send PM
Congratulations on the amazing score and thank you so much for sharing your journey. I'm scoring well in verbal, but can't seem to improve in the quantitative section. I will definitely look into Target Test Prep to get my quant score up. Best of luck with admissions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
My Journey to a 770 (50Q, 46V) [#permalink]
Try it — there’s a discount somewhere if you look around to get it for $80 a month. If you are studying for applying next year, you still have time on your side. If you do that whole program you have really given quant your all and would definitely see improvement

Quant is super competitive and takes a lot of effort— it’s not something that can just be breezed through

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by Sobes4life on 21 Mar 2019, 12:07.
Last edited by Sobes4life on 21 Mar 2019, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Please accept my congratulations on this account. Continue to develop further! I am sure you will achieve a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Awesome score. Congratulations. How did you prepare for Verbal? Did you use any particular material for it or you were already good at it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Mostly already good, but I did do some prep and it made a difference.

LR: minimal prep- just some practice questions in official guide and Veritas free question bank app. This was a strength for me and I got a perfect score both times. I think the best way to prep for this would just be hitting practice questions and reviewing answers until you start to see how test maker thinks.

CR: I read a lot- economist weekly, news daily, etc. This was a decent section for me but my weakest verbal section on test day —something like 85th percentile. I should have learned a framework for summarizing passages. I have heard e gmat is best for this, maybe try that. I have a feeling reading is the hardest to improve on short notice.

SC: this section can absolutely be improved and beaten and you should aim for a perfect score. This went from being my worst section on verbal(75-80 percentile) to my best(high 99th percentile). This is probably the easiest section to improve your score on the entire test. All I did was flip through the Manhattan book to learn some grammar rules I was unfamiliar with and I hit probably 300+ practice questions. Download the free Veritas app on your phone and hit them in batches of 5-10 when you have spare time. They are short questions and it’s easy to get a few here and there without spending too much time. Hit 300-500 questions and you will start to realize that GMAC is repeating the same questions over and over with slight variations. If you want to go for a perfect score— look up some of the really hard ones too to understand those.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Thanks Sobes4life. This is really helpful. Thank you so much again.
Sobes4life wrote:

Short summary:
I went to a middle of the road state school. Given my overrepresented background I knew that in order to stand out in admissions I would need a strong GMAT score. I was recently admitted to a top 10/15 school with full scholarship, and I’m waiting to hear back from 2 M7 schools.

Congrats for your 770, a 99 percentile in GMAT world.
If you don't mind, could you share your profile, please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
AsadAbu wrote:
Sobes4life wrote:

Short summary:
I went to a middle of the road state school. Given my overrepresented background I knew that in order to stand out in admissions I would need a strong GMAT score. I was recently admitted to a top 10/15 school with full scholarship, and I’m waiting to hear back from 2 M7 schools.

Sure - what do you mean by profile. I work at Big four firm in a non-target group

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 268
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Congratulations Sobes4life ....keep rocking :cool:
Sobes4life wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
Sobes4life wrote:

Short summary:

Sure - what do you mean by profile. I work at Big four firm in a non-target group

Sobes4life wrote:
I was recently admitted to a top 10/15 school with full scholarship, and I’m waiting to hear back from 2 M7 schools.

If you want to get admission in M7, then your profile should be decent. I mean you need good cgpa, strong GMAT score that you already have, work experience from a top-notch organization, extra-curricular, and so on.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73172 [2]
Given Kudos: 18949
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Please accept my wholehearted congratulations.

P.S. I have moved your topic into the share GMAT experience Forum. I hope it finds more visibility here.

Thanks for sharing!
Congratulations on your score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Send PM
My Journey to a 770 (50Q, 46V) [#permalink]
Sobes4life wrote:
Mostly already good, but I did do some prep and it made a difference.

LR: minimal prep- just some practice questions in official guide and Veritas free question bank app. This was a strength for me and I got a perfect score both times. I think the best way to prep for this would just be hitting practice questions and reviewing answers until you start to see how test maker thinks.

CR: I read a lot- economist weekly, news daily, etc. This was a decent section for me but my weakest verbal section on test day —something like 85th percentile. I should have learned a framework for summarizing passages. I have heard e gmat is best for this, maybe try that. I have a feeling reading is the hardest to improve on short notice.

SC: this section can absolutely be improved and beaten and you should aim for a perfect score. This went from being my worst section on verbal(75-80 percentile) to my best(high 99th percentile). This is probably the easiest section to improve your score on the entire test. All I did was flip through the Manhattan book to learn some grammar rules I was unfamiliar with and I hit probably 300+ practice questions. Download the free Veritas app on your phone and hit them in batches of 5-10 when you have spare time. They are short questions and it’s easy to get a few here and there without spending too much time. Hit 300-500 questions and you will start to realize that GMAC is repeating the same questions over and over with slight variations. If you want to go for a perfect score— look up some of the really hard ones too to understand those.

Thanks Sobes4life for tips on the verbal like reading the economist daily and all .

If you dont mind can you please share your struggles if you faced for quant and how u overcame them ? Any other tips for week before the test and day before the test ? didnt you felt anxiety or tensions ? can you please share if you dont mind ? it may help someone like me!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I faced a lot of struggles on Quant. I knew I had the ability to do well at quant because I had done well in the past (decent SAT/ AP scores). But I was super rusty and in some areas just had gaps. You want to be really fluid with it so that all your brainpower is focused on the tricky aspects of questions. You need to be able to breakdown numbers to their primes really quickly and to really have a super deep understanding of number properties. If you’re struggling with it I really recommend doing the Target Test Prep course. Or some other course that requires you to do a lot of practice across levels. In the beginning I was missing “easy” questions a lot. The lower difficulty questions aren’t that low difficulty if you don’t know the content— what makes them easier is that they require less reasoning. A big motivator for me was proving to myself that I was not an idiot. I couldn’t except 50th percentile on quant, which was about what I started with.

I think a lot of people just don’t study enough and think they did. I think that is key for quant unless you have a strong background in it(e.g. went to the national university of Singapore or something like that). You need to hit 1500-2000 questions and really review all wrong answers and understand why you got them wrong. That’s a lot of hours and a lot of effort. I didn’t do it the first time and I did it the second, and that’s why my score went up.

For anxiety, I definitely had some. It helped for me that I took the test in the afternoon, which is a better time for me. Also utilize the official tests well. Those can be a huge confidence boost if used late in studying. If you can save them to close to the end. My last one I got a 760 so I knew I was in the ball park

Honestly if you do enough practice questions it just become so natural. The variations in questions stop surprising you as much. This helps get in the zone much better on the real test.

Before test
— do a light Workout
- do some easy questions to get warmed up (like 10-15). Not a lot, it’s a warm up.
-avoid carbs and sugary foods. These can spike blood pressure and throw you off.
- try and get pumped up for it somehow
- if you have a bad day you can always cancel the score and redo it. It’s not the end of the world. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Sobes4life wrote:
I faced a lot of struggles on Quant. I knew I had the ability to do well at quant because I had done well in the past (decent SAT/ AP scores). But I was super rusty and in some areas just had gaps. You want to be really fluid with it so that all your brainpower is focused on the tricky aspects of questions. You need to be able to breakdown numbers to their primes really quickly and to really have a super deep understanding of number properties. If you’re struggling with it I really recommend doing the Target Test Prep course. Or some other course that requires you to do a lot of practice across levels. In the beginning I was missing “easy” questions a lot. The lower difficulty questions aren’t that low difficulty if you don’t know the content— what makes them easier is that they require less reasoning. A big motivator for me was proving to myself that I was not an idiot. I couldn’t except 50th percentile on quant, which was about what I started with.

I think a lot of people just don’t study enough and think they did. I think that is key for quant unless you have a strong background in it(e.g. went to the national university of Singapore or something like that). You need to hit 1500-2000 questions and really review all wrong answers and understand why you got them wrong. That’s a lot of hours and a lot of effort. I didn’t do it the first time and I did it the second, and that’s why my score went up.

For anxiety, I definitely had some. It helped for me that I took the test in the afternoon, which is a better time for me. Also utilize the official tests well. Those can be a huge confidence boost if used late in studying. If you can save them to close to the end. My last one I got a 760 so I knew I was in the ball park

Honestly if you do enough practice questions it just become so natural. The variations in questions stop surprising you as much. This helps get in the zone much better on the real test.

Before test
— do a light Workout
- do some easy questions to get warmed up (like 10-15). Not a lot, it’s a warm up.
-avoid carbs and sugary foods. These can spike blood pressure and throw you off.
- try and get pumped up for it somehow
- if you have a bad day you can always cancel the score and redo it. It’s not the end of the world. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself.

Thanks Sobes4life for the reply with a detailed explanation and tips , Will keep in mind . :angel:

All the best for your future :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37416 posts