GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 11:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Toefl debreif -117 ! :)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User
My Toefl debreif -117 ! :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 02:43
So I'm not a native speaker obviously but I did study in an international American school during highschool and was dissapointed that I had to prove my english skills - especially in a standardized test.
I decided that I need at least a month to study for the exam and so registered to the may exam in April.

Materials-
OG 4th edition with the CD - truly a good guide for the format.
An android app called TOEFL IBT reading - the questions are not representative of the difficulty of the exam (tougher).
An android app called TOEFL IBT listening - also a little on the tough side.
An android app called TOEFL IBT speaking - the best tool ever for these questions.

I was worried about a few things:
first I decided to open all the MBA doors and so the highest grade MIN is HBS with 109 and Judge with 110.
At that time I though that it is nearly impossible to score these since the speaking distribution has a significantly skewed upper tail (for example only 18 percent of exam takers score above a 23/30)
The writing part also scared my because there was a small skew and it is very subjective.

Once i saw that the reading and listening questions were not so bad and you could easily score a high score, I decided to focuse solely on speaking and a bit of writing.
so for 3 weeks I used the speaking app to practice all the questions. The great thing about this app is that it has sample answers to all questions, and it records you so you can listen to your answers.
for writing I looked at a bunch of samples and wrote a few essays just to get the hang of it.

Test day:
woke up too early, I was at the testing center at 7:30 while others arrived at 9:00 :(
The good thing is that I got a few last speaking drills before (like a warm up).
I saw that the testing computer lab was not private at all, the computers were right next to eachother and clearly everyone is going to talk at once in the speaking section.
I took earpligs and inserted them so far into my ear that I think they touched my eardrum - this helped a lot.

The reading section was slightly harder that the practice exams but I knew I did well.
Listening was a disaster since there was a pilot and I had to do 3 sections instead of 2, I did not have a clue how I was doing.
Speaking went extremely well except for one question (long pause) and one where I finished with 10 seconds to spare.
Essays were quite good but you never know how they go....

a week later skimming through the internet, I decided to check wether the grades are posted (it takes usually 10 days).
I was quite excited before opening the link...
rubbed my eyes and saw -
R 30
L 30
S 28
W 29
total 117.

well that is all.. I hope this is helpful to some of you - please send questions and Ill do my best to answer.

All the BEST!
Intern
Intern
My Toefl debreif -117 ! :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 06:36
That's unbelievable!! Congratulations!
Could you share you writing essays, please? In personal messages. I would really-really appreciate this. I'm NOT gonna to copy it or something like that. I only want to have a look at them and analyze. My aim is 27 in writing, I'm not sure that I'm closed to this score

tomgoldy91 wrote:
So I'm not a native speaker obviously but I did study in an international American school during highschool and was dissapointed that I had to prove my english skills - especially in a standardized test.
I decided that I need at least a month to study for the exam and so registered to the may exam in April.

Materials-
OG 4th edition with the CD - truly a good guide for the format.
An android app called TOEFL IBT reading - the questions are not representative of the difficulty of the exam (tougher).
An android app called TOEFL IBT listening - also a little on the tough side.
An android app called TOEFL IBT speaking - the best tool ever for these questions.

I was worried about a few things:
first I decided to open all the MBA doors and so the highest grade MIN is HBS with 109 and Judge with 110.
At that time I though that it is nearly impossible to score these since the speaking distribution has a significantly skewed upper tail (for example only 18 percent of exam takers score above a 23/30)
The writing part also scared my because there was a small skew and it is very subjective.

Once i saw that the reading and listening questions were not so bad and you could easily score a high score, I decided to focuse solely on speaking and a bit of writing.
so for 3 weeks I used the speaking app to practice all the questions. The great thing about this app is that it has sample answers to all questions, and it records you so you can listen to your answers.
for writing I looked at a bunch of samples and wrote a few essays just to get the hang of it.

Test day:
woke up too early, I was at the testing center at 7:30 while others arrived at 9:00 :(
The good thing is that I got a few last speaking drills before (like a warm up).
I saw that the testing computer lab was not private at all, the computers were right next to eachother and clearly everyone is going to talk at once in the speaking section.
I took earpligs and inserted them so far into my ear that I think they touched my eardrum - this helped a lot.

The reading section was slightly harder that the practice exams but I knew I did well.
Listening was a disaster since there was a pilot and I had to do 3 sections instead of 2, I did not have a clue how I was doing.
Speaking went extremely well except for one question (long pause) and one where I finished with 10 seconds to spare.
Essays were quite good but you never know how they go....

a week later skimming through the internet, I decided to check wether the grades are posted (it takes usually 10 days).
I was quite excited before opening the link...
rubbed my eyes and saw -
R 30
L 30
S 28
W 29
total 117.

well that is all.. I hope this is helpful to some of you - please send questions and Ill do my best to answer.

All the BEST!
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My Toefl debreif -117 ! :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 02:36
Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAC Official Guides-The master directory
GMAT Official Advanced Questions
Intern
Intern
Re: My Toefl debreif -117 ! :)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 07:02
it's nice of you to share your story..and congrats
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Toefl debreif -117 ! :)   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2016, 07:02

My Toefl debreif -117 ! :)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass