GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jul 2019, 16:53
Hi gmatclub,

I am looking to attempt the GMAT for a 4th time as I could not break 700 in my previous 3 attempts. I'm looking to take the exam at some point over the next few weeks as I have seen 700+ results on Veritas and GMATPrep Practice Exams.

Hoping a few GMAT/Admissions experts could advise on my questions below:

-Does it make sense to take the exam once at the end of this month/early August? If 4th attempt does not break 700, should I cancel (or keep) my score and retake at the end of August prior to Round 1 apps being due?

-How are 4 attempts viewed by admissions? In hindsight, I wish I cancelled my lower 600 scores but I was not well-read on score cancellation policy and do not want to dwell on the past at this point.



Previous Official Scores:

Sep 2016: 610 (V28,Q46)
Aug 2017: 620 (V28, Q47)
Feb 2019: 660 (V36, Q44)
July 2019: ????

Target Schools: Columbia, Chicago, Duke, UCLA


Thanks in advance for your time and expert guidance :)

Originally posted by nshah3 on 26 Jul 2019, 10:21.
Last edited by nshah3 on 26 Jul 2019, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 14837
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2019, 16:09
Hi nshah3,

To start, Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Since you studied for the GMAT three prior times, did you ever use the Official CATs or the Veritas CATs at any point during your prior studies?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17986
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2019, 16:17
You need well over 700 to hit those schools. You can visit the decision tracker for those specific programs and look at historic stats of admitted applicants.

Very rarely do people with sub 700 scores for in. You will be safe with a 760. And by safe I mean your application will not be tossed out but actually reviewed.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 390
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2019, 16:28
nshah3 wrote:
Hi gmatclub,

I am looking to attempt the GMAT for a 4th time as I could not break 700 in my previous 3 attempts. I'm looking to take the exam at some point over the next few weeks as I have seen 700+ results on Veritas and GMATPrep Practice Exams.

Hoping a few GMAT/Admissions experts could advise on my questions below:

-Does it make sense to take the exam once at the end of this month/early August? If 4th attempt does not break 700, should I cancel (or keep) my score and retake at the end of August prior to Round 1 apps being due?

-How are 4 attempts viewed by admissions? In hindsight, I wish I cancelled my lower 600 scores but I was not well-read on score cancellation policy and do not want to dwell on the past at this point.



Previous scores:

Sep 2016: 610 (V28,Q46)
Aug 2017: 620 (V28, Q47)
Feb 2019: 660 (V36, Q44)
July 2019: ????

Target Schools: Columbia, Chicago, Duke, UCLA


Thanks in advance for your time and expert guidance :)


I'm no expert here but,

Just know that a V36 says a lot,
If the Veritas and GMAT prep attempts were the first, I'm certain, you'll get that score.

Regarding the B school

There's no certainty even if you score a 700, as many would agree.
I've spoken to a lot of wise men. Trust me.

But a 700 would definitely look better on an application than even a 690.
My personal suggestion to you would be to go for it.

And essentially, KUDOS, to so much patience. 3 years is a lot of time

I'd very much like to know about your journey, must have been some wild ride; you know just to add to my knowledge. May be tomorrow your story could help someone else.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2019, 17:10
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi nshah3,

To start, Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Since you studied for the GMAT three prior times, did you ever use the Official CATs or the Veritas CATs at any point during your prior studies?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Rich, thanks for the reply. I have practiced with the official CATS and Veritas previously, and used my one reset for preparation this time around. Do you suggest I also validate my scores for my prep thus far with an unused practice exam from another company (if so, do you have one in mind)? Perhaps Manhattan GMAT?

I have also been doing several 20-30 question timed sets of medium/hard questions from the OG. Based on my ESR from my Feb 2019 attempt, my timing was very poor so that has been a point of improvement for me. My pacing in the first half of the Quant cost me significant points in the latter half. For verbal, I have been focusing on question types and identifying patterns to help me tackle questions.

Given what bb and businessconquerer mentioned , it does sound like I need to be 700+ to even have a shot at the schools I'm targeting so a 4th attempt is necessary. When I do finally reach the apex of this mountain of an exam, I'd be happy to share my story. I can't say it's a thrilling one, but one that has required a lot of mental perseverance and reflection.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 390
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 06:41
nshah3 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi nshah3,

To start, Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Since you studied for the GMAT three prior times, did you ever use the Official CATs or the Veritas CATs at any point during your prior studies?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Rich, thanks for the reply. I have practiced with the official CATS and Veritas previously, and used my one reset for preparation this time around. Do you suggest I also validate my scores for my prep thus far with an unused practice exam from another company (if so, do you have one in mind)? Perhaps Manhattan GMAT?

I have also been doing several 20-30 question timed sets of medium/hard questions from the OG. Based on my ESR from my Feb 2019 attempt, my timing was very poor so that has been a point of improvement for me. My pacing in the first half of the Quant cost me significant points in the latter half. For verbal, I have been focusing on question types and identifying patterns to help me tackle questions.

Given what bb and businessconquerer mentioned , it does sound like I need to be 700+ to even have a shot at the schools I'm targeting so a 4th attempt is necessary. When I do finally reach the apex of this mountain of an exam, I'd be happy to share my story. I can't say it's a thrilling one, but one that has required a lot of mental perseverance and reflection.



That is amazing, you've got a more disciplined study pattern than I do.
Sure, the experience doesn't have to be thrilling to be helpful, besides self-reflection is something many people, who live in denial, don't learn until the very end. Great to see you learnt it in time. And besides it is never too late. Tag me in your story whenever you write it
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 14837
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 12:52
Hi nshah3,

While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills. Seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

To answer your immediate question: YES you should take a 'new' CAT (re: one that you have NOT taken before) and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 7420
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 18:06
Hi nshah3,

I agree that you will need to take a fourth crack at the GMAT, but before determining a test date, getting an accurate baseline score would be helpful. Thus, as mentioned, you should take a full-length MBA.com practice exam. Once you report back here with your score breakdown, I can provide some further advice.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article: How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.

Good luck!
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 08:36
Hey guys,

Apologies for not reporting back sooner.

I took the GMAT again a few days ago on my 25th birthday and I came out with a 730 (V38, Q50). I guess I just needed some birthday luck to pull off the impossible.

All jokes aside, thank you for the guidance and advice you provided me. GMAT Club is truly an invaluable tool when it comes to preparation and I am honored to be part of such a supportive community.

I never thought I would be sharing my story on this platform but it’s one that needs to be told.

Time after time, I failed this exam. Whether it was nerves, stubbornness and poor pacing, or simply a lack of understanding for the material, I could not break 700. I sat for the exam 3 times since graduating from undergrad in 2016 and struggled to achieve the score I needed to go to a top mba program.

But, most importantly, I did not let failure define me. With determination and perseverance, I achieved a goal I was close to giving up on.

When I saw the score come on the screen, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I had become so invested in this exam over the last 3 years while commuting, working long hours at a BB bank, and sacrificing numerous vacation time that when I saw the score come up, I broke into tears. I raised my hand to call the proctor into the testing room and she had to calm me down and make sure I accepted the score before leaving.

I still not can’t put into words how I feel. It feels like I have been stuck in a dream these last few days and I need to pinch myself to remind myself this is real. This is a testament to how far one can go with a little bit of perseverance and determination.

To everyone who is struggling with something in their life, keep moving forward. Keep working, keep striving, and keep improving. Failure is part of the journey, but you decide if it defines you. Something greater lies for you on the other side.

Feel free to reach out if any questions on my journey. Happy to give back and share any tips I can!

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 7420
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 19:51
Nice job!! Good old birthday luck :).
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 19:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need Advice - GMAT 4th Attempt

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne