Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2721 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: New GMAC Feature - Select the Order of Sections on GMAT [Pilot] [#permalink]
Hi

please advise whether I should choose Verbal over Quant to start with to maximize my score for my strongest section or go ahead with quant followed by verbal. Besides that I am less anxious during verbal. I am always struggling with quant.

thanks
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31878 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: New GMAC Feature - Select the Order of Sections on GMAT [Pilot] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shasadou wrote:
Hi

please advise whether I should choose Verbal over Quant to start with to maximize my score for my strongest section or go ahead with quant followed by verbal. Besides that I am less anxious during verbal. I am always struggling with quant.

thanks

hi,
the sequence would depend from individual to individual on his/her ability to handle things in different circumstances..
1) the first set of people would be those who do not get fatigued in 3 hrs exam and can tackle anything the same way in first hour and also last hour. Here completing your strong area would be helpful as that may give you momentum to carry forward to your weak area, a momentum which may help you tackle few odd Qs on the confidence gained through the first half.
But if you intend to lose concentration in later part, best would be to kep the best for later half and put in your best mind on the weak area. A perfect score in one and a poor score may not be better than a good score in both.
2) Best would be take two mocks one in normal scenario, and others in opposite sequence. you may not get the overall score, as no mock would have incorporated hese changes for one to test the efficacy of switch overs, but you can compare sectional scores and see what suits you better.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
finally chose Q V R A. 1st of March. free and fun.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31878 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
New GMAC Feature - Select the Order of Sections on GMAT [Pilot] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shasadou wrote:
finally chose Q V R A. 1st of March. free and fun.

hi,
so you have decided to keep the best for the last..
All the best..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi guys,

I have received an invitation to take the GMAT section order Pilot Program. Did GMAT extend the Pilot period ( February 23 – March 8, 2016.)? because i see some mid March dates(14th,16th) available to select. (I chose VQRA option)Did I click on the wrong link to register? Please confirm. Thanks you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
Did anyone use the section order feature on the GMAT yet and saw a (hopefully positive) change in scores?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
took my QVRA and scored q44 and verbal 23 =))) lol even being drunk i can get above 30. dunno really =(

ir 7. in awa interestingly i was fresh. cancelled. after verbal was done i felt so relaxed and calm.

looks like the order does not work for me. even opposite - i was really anxious during first 10 quant questions. the timing was good on q17 the timer showed 38 mins. after that i was getting i think touger questions the last 3 questions i just blindly guessed. i think some warm up before quant is required for me - ir solely would be ideal before jumping into quant.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I request others who have already participated in pilot program to share their experiences, score, and the difference they found.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
drashi17 wrote:
I request others who have already participated in pilot program to share their experiences, score, and the difference they found.

I got in on the last available date for the Pilot Program.

Test date: March 15th

Order: Quant - Verbal - Essay - IR
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '18 (II)
Send PM
I took the pilot couple of days back...improved 20 points...(from 710 to 730)....Though the Pilot has certain advantages for sure, I think my improvement was due to some other small changes I made in my approach. I opted for QVRA. Q is my strongest(scored a 51 here, improvement from 50). Probably being fresh might have helped a bit to focus on silly mistakes. In V I scored 38 (improvement from 35)...Yes I was little less drained, but more importantly I focused on attempting all questions positively( an not guessing 3/4 in between spaced out like I did in my previous tests)...I took this time out from not spending extra time overthinking on questions and not taking notes in RC....Using this strategy I was scoring in same range in practice tests as well....I took 4 official tests again this time around (750, 740, 750, 730 )...Didnt prepare much this time...just the tests and few other practice questions from Q Pack for a period spanning 10 days. My last GMAT was 6 months back. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I can safely say that the freedom to choose test order was a big booster for me. For my exam order i went for QVRA, with the strategy that I can carry on my confidence from Quant to Verbal. Compared to my 1st attempt, I was fresh, relaxed and mentally better prepared for Verbal. In my opinion the choice order will definitely benefit test takers when it will be made available and should push up people's scores.

Tried to post link of my score improvement, but as this is only 2nd post so can't post urls - i went from 650 to 760, and I would say the flexible test order definitely contributed to this improvement.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
h5n1 wrote:
In my opinion the choice order will definitely benefit test takers when it will be made available and should push up people's scores.
That's a huge score increase. Congrats!

However, the GMAT will make this feature available to all only if it notices no significant difference between the score increases(?) of those who use the feature and the score increases of those not using the feature :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
Are the questions any harder? I'm due to take a QVRA on March 15th and I just realized they may have made the q's more difficult?

Anyone notice any increase in difficulty?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
poland1984 wrote:
Are the questions any harder? I'm due to take a QVRA on March 15th and I just realized they may have made the q's more difficult?

What would make you draw this conclusion? As a matter of fact, altering the algorithm to change the difficulty of the questions is precisely what the didn't do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
Dondarrion wrote:
poland1984 wrote:

What would make you draw this conclusion? As a matter of fact, altering the algorithm to change the difficulty of the questions is precisely what the didn't do.

I hope that's the case -- The thought just hit me and I had a very vivid oh sh*t moment.

I'm just wondering why more people aren't posting about crazy score improvements after having taken the pilot test.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
New GMAC Feature - Select the Order of Sections on GMAT [Pilot] [#permalink]
I did not notice any deviation from the standard quant section. What really bothers me is my insanely fluctuating verbal score: on mgmat I scored 35-39, veritas 32-36, gmat prep 35-37. On this pilot I got verbal 23 - this is abnormal and is not consistent with my verbal ability across the tests and previous gmats. My verbal just cannot flucatuate that wildely!

This makes me to conclude that verbal algorithm is different from quant algortihm (which actually rated me quite consistently from q40 to q43 and q 44 this last pilot exam) on gmat - in a manner that reconfirms the gmat prep experiments taken by guys here on the forum where they answered first 10 questions incorrect and with the rest q correct they got verbal 23. This is only explanatation that comes to my mind.

So imho first 10 verbal questions weigh more for a good verbal score than first 10 quant q do for the quant one. Something is just really inconsistent about the gmat verbal algo that gives me consistently 36-37 and then dumps to 23: from above 80% down to 30%.

Wheras the quant gmat algo is really consistent and shows the quant ability. Overall I am realizing now that tthe order of sections is not a great factor. GMAT measures your overall ability, and does it quite fairly. At least for the quant section.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
poland1984 wrote:
I'm just wondering why more people aren't posting about crazy score improvements after having taken the pilot test.

I believe it's because the "fatigue" factor is a bit overplayed. Most people aren't going to have a massive jump in score because they took their essay and IR at the end instead of at the beginning.

Keep in mind, the GMAT is a standardized test. They have to keep everything similar so that scores can be fairly compared year to year.

shasadou - I would recommend that you look more at your strategies and knowledge of content instead of worrying about the GMAT algorithm. I promise, your scores can wildly fluctuate depending on a number of circumstances. I've experienced it firsthand. :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3