It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, comp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1408 [1], given: 543

Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, comp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:46) correct 16% (00:36) wrong based on 326 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, composer, and bandleader Ray Charles is credited with soul music's early development, a genre based on melding gospel, rhythm and blues, and jazz.

(A) Charles is credited with soul music's early development, a genre based on melding
(B) Charles is credited with the early development of soul music, being a genre based on melding
(C) Charles is credited with the early development of soul music, a genre based on a melding of
(D) Charles, credited with soul music's early development, a genre that was based on a melding of
(E) Charles, who is credited with the early development of soul music, a genre based on melding

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Is E incorrect because the "who" clause is an essential modifier and because "melding" distorts the meaning. The other choices are easy to eliminate cos of modifier issue.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1408 [1], given: 543

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2325 [1], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, comp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
E is incorrect because it's not a sentence!

Often billed as "The Genius", American pianist, singer, composer, and bandleader Charles, who is credited with the early development of soul music (-modifier of Charles-), a genre based on melding gospel, rhythm and blues, and jazz (-appositive modifier of the music-) .

E has no main verb.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2325 [1], given: 219

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 65

GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 07:18
Answer is C

fozzzy wrote:
Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, composer, and bandleader Ray Charles is credited with soul music's early development, a genre based on melding gospel, rhythm and blues, and jazz.

(A) Charles is credited with soul music's early development, a genre based on melding - noun modifiers should be as close to the word it is describing. development is not genre
(B) Charles is credited with the early development of soul music, being a genre based on melding
(C) Charles is credited with the early development of soul music, a genre based on a melding of
(D) Charles, credited with soul music's early development, a genre that was based on a melding of - noun modifiers should be as close to the word it is describing. development is not genre
(E) Charles, who is credited with the early development of soul music, a genre based on melding - who phrase makes the sentence a fragment since there is no working verb

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Is E incorrect because the "who" clause is an essential modifier and because "melding" distorts the meaning. The other choices are easy to eliminate cos of modifier issue.

E is wrong because who phrase results in no working verb in the main clause - Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, composer, and bandleader...

Just curious what is the source of this question..

Hope this helps.

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 65

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1593 [0], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 07:20

(A) Charles is credited with soul music's early development, a genre based on melding
developement of soul music is better.
being modifier is modifying the whole preceeding clause....as meaning comes out to be charles being a genre...=>not correct
correct
(D) Charles, credited with soul music's early development, a genre that was based on a melding of
this sentence is a fragment as the subject CHARLES doesnt has a verb
(E) Charles, who is credited with the early development of soul music, a genre based on melding
again this one is a fragment same as D

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1593 [0], given: 197

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 09:38
I go with (C) as the "genre" correctly modifies the "soul music".
(B) is wrong as I read somewhere that "being is generally" not used on GMAT plus (B) is wordy as well.

KUDOS if you find it good!!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 08:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 21:22
akshaygaur wrote:
I go with (C) as the "genre" correctly modifies the "soul music".
(B) is wrong as I read somewhere that "being is generally" not used on GMAT plus (B) is wordy as well.

problem with being is that it is working as a modifier and indirectly referring to subject of the sentence, "ray" and that is wrong. it should modify genre.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 13:37
fozzzy wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Answer –C
A – a genre wrongly modifies development. It should correctly modify soul music. Hence, A is wrong.
B – use of being makes a noun phrase ‘being genre based on melding of ...’ it lacks verb and hence wrong. It is wrong modification.
C – correct.
D – Ray charles misses the verb.
E – there is no verb for Ray Charles.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

Re: Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, comp   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2015, 13:37

Often billed as "The Genius," American pianist, singer, comp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap