GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 00:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Oct 2019, 00:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:49) correct 48% (02:13) wrong based on 90 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in their careers is that they tire of spending years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments; astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal.

A. One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in their careers is that they tire of spending years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments; astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal.

B. Late in their careers, one reason that some particle physicists are switching to astronomy is suggested by the fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments, while astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal.

C. Late in their careers, one reason that some particle physicists are switching to astronomy is suggested by the fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments, while an infinite and ready-made supply of environments is at the disposal of astronomers.

D. The fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments while astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal is one reason, late in their careers, some particle physicists are switching to astronomy.

E. The existence of an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at the disposal of astronomers compared with the fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments suggests one reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in their careers.

the answer is A. But can anyone help me with answer A? I consider the '; '',' so I think there shold be a conjunction before astronomers

Originally posted by ssr0623 on 19 Oct 2019, 23:56.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Oct 2019, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 02:13
ssr0623 wrote:
One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in their careers is that they tire of spending years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments; astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal.

A. One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in their careers is that they tire of spending years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments; astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal.
Correct modification

B. Late in their careers, one reason that some particle physicists are switching to astronomy is suggested by the fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments, while astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal.
"Late in their careers" should modify "Particle Physicists" which is not happening here

C. Late in their careers, one reason that some particle physicists are switching to astronomy is suggested by the fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments, while an infinite and ready-made supply of environments is at the disposal of astronomers.
"Late in their careers" should modify "Particle Physicists" which is not happening here

D. The fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments while astronomers have an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at their disposal is one reason, late in their careers, some particle physicists are switching to astronomy.
The highlighted modifier is ambiguous and can modify both the phrases before and after it.

E. The existence of an infinite and ready-made supply of environments at the disposal of astronomers compared with the fact that particle physicists must spend years constructing environments in which they can conduct experiments suggests one reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in their careers.
The comparison is not correct here. "The environments" are getting compared with "the fact"

IMO the answer is A because of the reasons mentioned above.
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 06:33
ssr0623 wrote:
the answer is A. But can anyone help me with answer A? I consider the '; '',' so I think there should be a conjunction before astronomers

Hi ssr0623,
It is incorrect to link between two independent clauses using "comma". A conjunction is required in this case.
However, "Semicolon" can be used as a pause between two independent clauses without the need for a conjunction. Although the use of a conjunction to link between two independent clauses is generally preferred to the use of a "semicolon", the use of "semicolon" is still valid and correct "grammatically".

But a correct choice between "conjunction" and "semicolon" should be based on the context and the intended meaning by the author.
(i.e: does the author want just a pause? or does he want to emphasize a correlation or contrast or any other relations that the conjunctions function?)

Also, I advise you to see this video by GMATNinja concerning the same topic : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLAJ_drP8UM
D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 11:03
B and C are out for obvious modifier errors
Even D has a severe modifier error- the mispaced ",late in their careers,"

Between A and E, E has a comparison error. Hence only A matches our expectations and hence happens to be the winner
Re: One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2019, 11:03

One reason some particle physicists are switching to astronomy late in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics