It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for Unique Background

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Profile Evaluation for Unique Background [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 11:56
Hello and thanks for your time! Looking to apply next year to B-school and wanted to know my chances at a number of programs:

Background
Division 1 College Athlete top 50 private university. On scholarship.
3.7 GPA with a major in International Business, minor in religious studies.
I worked as a statistics tutor for the athletic department as the top-performing student athlete stats student. Also ran security for a large nightclub last 2 years of school (20 hours per week, in charge of team of 5-10 people each night).

GMAT - 700 (48Q 38V 6 AWA 8 IR)

Work
Moved overseas after college to serve as a volunteer in the Israel Defense Forces. Served infantry and intelligence in prestigious battalion (Golani/Tzanchanim) for nearly 2 years, finished service as a non-commissioned officer. Tours included West Bank and Gaza. Lone Soldier - didn't have any family in the country when i moved nor did i know a word of the language)

3 years at mid-size commercial bank in NYC (subsidiary of large foreign bank). Promoted to AVP quickly, work focuses on credit risk and portfolio management.

EC - member of investment group for 2 years, tutor mornings at inner city school teaching literacy, semi-professional poker player ($10,000-$20,000 income each of the past 2 years on top of salary).

Goal - Transition to IB or IM

Schools - Reach: Wharton/Columbia/Booth Target: Fuqua/Anderson/Kellogg Safety: McCombs/Owen/Emory/USC

Chances?? Things I should work on to best prepare for next year? Assume very strong essays. THANKS!

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation for Unique Background [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 12:45
Mapshooter10 wrote:
Hello and thanks for your time! Looking to apply next year to B-school and wanted to know my chances at a number of programs:Hi Mapshooter10, First thanks for reaching out! I will make comments below in blue..

Background
Division 1 College Athlete top 50 private university. On scholarship. I like it! And we have some counselors who were former athletes in college and they as well as other counselors can help you showcase this.
3.7 GPA with a major in International Business, minor in religious studies.
I worked as a statistics tutor for the athletic department as the top-performing student athlete stats student. Also ran security for a large nightclub last 2 years of school (20 hours per week, in charge of team of 5-10 people each night).

GMAT - 700 (48Q 38V 6 AWA 8 IR)A good score- won't keep you out... but won't beat the doors down.. can you keep working on this in spring?

Work
Moved overseas after college to serve as a volunteer in the Israel Defense Forces. Served infantry and intelligence in prestigious battalion (Golani/Tzanchanim) for nearly 2 years, finished service as a non-commissioned officer. Tours included West Bank and Gaza. Lone Soldier - didn't have any family in the country when i moved nor did i know a word of the language)Lots here that will add value- good cross cultural, leadership, tested under pressure...

3 years at mid-size commercial bank in NYC (subsidiary of large foreign bank). Promoted to AVP quickly, work focuses on credit risk and portfolio management.great that you have already made the transition to private sector...

EC - member of investment group for 2 years, tutor mornings at inner city school teaching literacy, semi-professional poker player ($10,000-$20,000 income each of the past 2 years on top of salary). very cool!

Goal - Transition to IB or IMyes- I can see this from your profile

Schools - Reach: Wharton/Columbia/Booth Target: Fuqua/Anderson/Kellogg Safety: McCombs/Owen/Emory/USCFor Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia a bit higher GMAT would help a lot- but with a R1 stellar essay/app, it might happen. The safety ones look safe. It would be great for you to start working with a firm like ours as early as May to get a good start- I would keep at the GMAT for next 3 months- and then switch to application prep in May. Here is a link to our services- and I could see you really being helped by our counselors... https://stratusprep.com/admissions/busi ... b-visitor/

Chances?? Things I should work on to best prepare for next year? Assume very strong essays. THANKS!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Duke '19 (M)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 13:00
Thank you for the quick reply! Any other schools I should look at? What score on GMAT should I target?

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 13:30
Mapshooter10 wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply! Any other schools I should look at? What score on GMAT should I target?

I'd shoot for at least 720 and then for other schools to add, look also at Fuqua, UNC Kenan-Flagler, UVA. I would use this spring to get on the mailing lists of programs that interest you- do some webinars and chats and even try to visit this spring so you can get a feel for some programs- and that will help you see where you "fit" so that you can make even better choices for R1 next year. There is no substitute for primary research on this! Good luck!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Re: Profile Evaluation for Unique Background   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2017, 13:30

Profile Evaluation for Unique Background

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap