GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation-Indian Female

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20
Profile Evaluation-Indian Female  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 22:03
Nationality: Indian
Education – B.E (Computer Science)
GPA: 3.4
GMAT Score: 700
Experience - 5 years
Industry – IT Research and Development
Function – System Development Engineer
Current Employer – Dell R &D
Previous Employers: Oracle, EMC Corporation
Achievements at Work:w
I have won Silver, Bronze Awards for my performance and dedication at work.
Currently I am leading a project at work.
I have visited Canada for a professional Business trip for the presentation of our research and to discuss new features to the stakeholders, also to develop excellent professional Relationship with management and Colleagues.

Extracurricular activities:

I am part of Toastmasters Club and organized Toastmasters events in my office premises.
I have taken multiple roles like Masters of Ceremony , Ah-counter etc in toastmasters club.
As part of club I have won various accolades like Speaker of the Day , Best speaker etc in Toastmasters club.
I am also a part of organizing various CSR events in my company.

Apart from my work , I ,along with 1 friend , occasionally organize Small family Events as part time business (Birthday parties, Naming ceremonies etc) and make small profits as well.

I'm looking to go for 1 year Indian/International MBA, and wanted to check possibility of getting admission in Ivy League, ISB ,IIM- B or in Singapore or Canada.
Major Concern:

I have 4 years of Gap after my Graduation and Job, I come from a place where women are suppressed. We are not encouraged to be independent.
My family especially my Dad is conservative and never wanted me to work because of 2 reasons
According to my dad working women are not good, they just think about their personal benefits over family and kids.
Why a woman (me) must work when I (dad or husband) am there to provide everything you want.
I could study because if I am educated, I can teach my future kids and family can find a good ,well settled guy for my wedding.
Today I am independent, Proud working Woman, Married and Most Importantly Mother of 8 months old baby (wearing multiple hats ?).
I fought hard to make my way to be independent. MBA was my dream from the beginning. I want to make it happen and I have been working towards it.
I was giving tuitions to school students (just for help) at my home during those Gap years.
But I am not sure if 4 years of Gap can be a pitfall.
I will be truly grateful if you can evaluate my profile and let me know if I can get into my Targeted B-school.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20
Re: Profile Evaluation-Indian Female  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2019, 07:25
I am really paranoid about admissions. please anyone Evaluate .Thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 20:24
Thanks for reaching out! Normally a 4 year work gap would be a deal breaker for b-school, and it is still going to be a bit of a challenge for you, but given your story & the oppression you faced from your father I think it's a challenge you can totally overcome. You'll want to be certain to tell that story to the adcom via the optional essay -- not just the oppression you faced, but how you finally overcame it & got that first job despite the obstacles. I think Ivy League schools will be a bit of a stretch given your GPA & GMAT, which are both a bit below average, but if you could improve your score to a 730 or 740 you'd have a shot at it. I think you do have a shot at US schools in the 15-25 range as well as ISB.

R&D can tend to be a role where it's difficult to show quantifiable impact of your work, which is a challenge as well - the adcom likes to see the results applicants have driven. So you'll want to do your best to show the business skills you have gained in that role as well as any results that you have driven.

If you'd like any help thinking through your strategy, definitely reach out to us. You're in a unique situation given what you faced from your father, and it will be critical to use that story to your advantage - to show that it's not about the work gap, it's about the perseverance you showed in getting to where you are now. If you'd like to chat, send Claudia a note at claudia@admissionado.com and she can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants! Either way, good luck to you. You've demonstrated huge strength to get where you are & you can take this next step to make b-school a reality as well! It's just going to take some strategy to be sure you get into the best school possible.

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
VP
VP
D
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 09:00
Admissionado wrote:
Thanks for reaching out! Normally a 4 year work gap would be a deal breaker for b-school, and it is still going to be a bit of a challenge for you, but given your story & the oppression you faced from your father I think it's a challenge you can totally overcome.

Admissionado
Thanks for your message. Could you explain a bit the highlighted part, please?
Thanks__

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 18:36
Asad, that was directed at Soumyya & you can see her story above. Generally speaking, it's going to be extremely difficult to get into b-school if you've been unemployed for 4 years. Work experience is particularly important for b-school applications since it allows you to contribute to class discussion & also can form the foundation of your post-MBA goals. The adcom wants to see applicants who are working hard & accomplishing a lot - so they will generally be unforgiving of a 4 year work gap. But in her case she was being oppressed by her father & forbidden to work -- so explaining that in the optional essay will be critical. In this unique case the adcom is likely to forgive the work gap since she had no real choice. And in fact she's made a big comeback since then so we can potentially turn this story to her advantage.

==

Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

VP
VP
D
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 09:56
Admissionado wrote:
Asad, that was directed at Soumyya & you can see her story above. Generally speaking, it's going to be extremely difficult to get into b-school if you've been unemployed for 4 years. Work experience is particularly important for b-school applications since it allows you to contribute to class discussion & also can form the foundation of your post-MBA goals. The adcom wants to see applicants who are working hard & accomplishing a lot - so they will generally be unforgiving of a 4 year work gap. But in her case she was being oppressed by her father & forbidden to work -- so explaining that in the optional essay will be critical. In this unique case the adcom is likely to forgive the work gap since she had no real choice. And in fact she's made a big comeback since then so we can potentially turn this story to her advantage.

Admissionado,
Thank you for your info.

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 20:48
Happy to help!

==

Profile Evaluation-Indian Female

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado