It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation, Marine Corps Combat Arms Officer

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.17
Profile Evaluation, Marine Corps Combat Arms Officer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 02:45
I just took the GMAT and was wondering if I could get some help evaluating my profile to see if I should retake the test in order to get a higher score.

Profile:
27 year old white male
3.2 GPA, B.A. in Economics, minor in Russian Language and Culture from a top 25 liberal arts school
NCAA Lacrosse Captain, awarded for leadership as a Senior
4 years as a Marine Corps Combat Arms (Artillery) Officer, regularly identified as a top performer
700 GMAT (7 IR/Q47/V40)

Schools I am interested in:
1. Harvard (obviously a reach)
2. London Business School
3. Tuck
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan
6. MIT
7. Texas
8. Georgetown

Thanks for the help!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Re: Profile Evaluation, Marine Corps Combat Arms Officer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 11:21
Hi there,

First of all, thank you for your service! And bravo on getting started with the MBA application process early. That will definitely play to your advantage over the upcoming months.

So here’s how I see your GMAT score. Your school list includes quite a range, which is great, but I’d love to know if you have your heart set on HBS/MIT/Kellogg/LBS or if you’re just looking to get into the “best” program you can. If you’re aiming for those top 10 schools, you’re going to want to re-take the GMAT and aim for at least a 20-30 point improvement. Why? Because your GPA is on the lower side for those schools (and a high GMAT can help mitigate that) and you’re starting early so you have time to improve. It’s not that a killer story & essays won’t still get you noticed by a top 10 adcom with your current profile – it very well could – but if you have the opportunity to improve your GMAT and increase those chances, why not do it? Just make sure to dedicate time to some additional studying and preparation so you make the re-take count. On the other hand, if you’d be really happy with McCombs or Georgetown and those top 10 programs are just ‘hail marys” for you, then I see less of a reason to retake it. So it all depends on what programs you’re set on and also what you’re looking to do professionally after business school. Consulting firms, for example, use your GMAT score in the hiring decision (especially at schools with grade non-disclosure) so you’ll want to aim higher than a 700 if you’re hoping for MBB offers.

I hope that helps! I’m happy to chat further if you have other questions about the application process, translating your military experience into “business” language, etc. I know the MBA mindset is a tough transition from active duty so feel free to reach out – melody@vantagepointadmissions.com

Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation, Marine Corps Combat Arms Officer   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2017, 11:21

Profile Evaluation, Marine Corps Combat Arms Officer

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap