Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - narrowing down schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bianalyst wrote:
LeonidK wrote:
bianalyst wrote:
Hi,

I would like to gauge how realistic my chances are and what caliber of schools I can apply to, given that I have a low GPA.

Background: Bangladeshi male. I have diplomat parents so I've lived in many places, including California, NY, Bahrain, India, Singapore, etc.

Undergraduate degree: Electrical Engineering from a top Singaporean university

GPA: 3.01/5.00 (this is a B- average)Well the 3.01 is not going to help but given the rigor of your program I don't see it completely taking you out of the game.
Published as second author in a top engineering publication (IEEE).

GMAT: not taken yet but hoping for 730+ (I had a 740 verbal & 710 math in the SAT if that counts for anything)A strong GMAT score could really help here. The higher the GMAT, the less the GPA is going to be a problem.

WE:
1. 4 years as a business intelligence/data science analyst for a leading financial firm (not a bank). Starting off in the Singapore office, I built up the business intelligence function single-handedly and proved its value, to the point where I was offered to run the franchise globally from our London HQ and so I work in London now. This function previously did not exist but is now a key part of the business.
2. Interned at UNDP in Turkey and a leading investment bank in Singapore while at college.Your WE could be a very powerful part of your application- especially if you can get your recommenders to tell this story.

Extracurriculars:
At college -
1. Heavily involved and held leadership positions at a big club
2. Good at public speaking so joined debate and was chosen to rep my university in international debate competitions.
3. Founded and sold an academic module review website (a bit like ratemyprofessors).
Post college -
1. Helped translate documents for Bangladeshi migrant workers at an NGO, used my connections to build a stronger relationship between the NGO and the Bangladesh embassy.
2. Thinking of joining Toastmasters in London as I enjoy public speaking.

Given this information, what sort of schools should I narrow my choices down to (only US)? Should I forget about top 10? Thanks!

I would not say absolutely no to top 10- but I would cross off the top 3 (H/S/W) and then I would pick 1-3 in top if you want to stretch- depending on the strength of the GMAT score. Then I would look hard at US programs in the 15-25 range as I think there are many good ones there that you could do well in.
Have you taken any prep CATs? There are plenty of free CATs available in the internet
They can show you approximate GMAT score.

I haven't yet - I'm currently going through the 10 MGMAT strategy guides to ensure I have all content covered before going through a proper CAT, and I intend to sit for the real test sometime in late June/early July. I know the GMAT is very critical to evaluate chances, but I guess I wanted to gauge a hypothetical situation where I did well on the GMAT, and be evaluated more on my non-GMAT merits, given a good GMAT score. This allows me to mentally prepare and set some expectations in terms of applying.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks. I did believe my WE could be a real strength and it's good to get confirmation. When you say top 15-25, what ranking source are you referring to? I notice the rankings can be quite different lower down the list from USNews, BW, etc.
GMAT Club Bot