GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 May 2020, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Really need help- Cambridge vs Oxford vs NTU vs Rotman

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school???

• 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 50% [3]
  • 50% [3]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Judge   McCombs (Austin)   NTU   Rotman   Said   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Really need help- Cambridge vs Oxford vs NTU vs Rotman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2019, 19:11
Hi all,

I really want to get your inputs on my dilemma. I applied to 5 schools,but did not expect to get into all of them.

I got accepted into Mccombs(20k), Rotman(30% scholarship), Cambridge(15~% Scholarship), Oxford(Scholarship decision not out), NTU(30% scholarship).

NTU is the cheapest option, lowest tuition fee and I don't have to pay for accommodation. It is half the cost(40k~) of Cambridge/Oxford/Rotman, even if I consider the scholarships. This is also the easiest option for me to get a job, if I plan to leave my current company as I am a local. I can look for a job while studying.

ROTMAN is a 2 year program, so I lose 1 year of earning opportunity. I am sure the learning experience would be great in Rotman but the brand is not recognised that well in Singapore. I probably try to get a job in Toronto or return to my current company.

Oxford and Cambridge.. is tempting cause of the brand of the bigger university especially where I live. It will take time for me to find a job back in Singapore as I have to return home before looking for a job. However, I already have an offer with my current company so I am not too concerned with it as I can always work while looking for other opportunities.

Mccombs is out. I am not even considering it due to the cost.

I am currently leaning towards Oxf or Cam for the experience and brand name. I never had to leave the country for a prolonged period, and I am quite looking forward to it. What do you guys think?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Really need help- Cambridge vs Oxford vs NTU vs Rotman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2019, 19:30
Congratulations on your admits! Fantastic job! Also congratulations on your scholarships.

It is also fantastic that you already have an offer from your employer to potentially come back after your business school. Would they consider sponsoring you?

As to the choices, two-year programs are usually better because they have summer internships and allow you to switch industries and get a brand-name company on your resume even if it’s just for the summer. It sounds like you’re not switching industries or potentially even companies ;-) so a 1-year program would be just fine.

My suggestion is often to go to school in the country where you plan on living and working. If you’re going to stay in Singapore, it would be most beneficial to be close to your Alma matter and the network that it has. Your plan to go away for a year to the UK and exploring new horizons and opportunities sounds good too. I don’t know what dollar amount were talking since you included percentages and it’s a little vague and I’m a little lazy to look the costs up and calculate it out on my phone Your plan to go away for a year to the UK and exploring new horizons and opportunities sounds good too. I don’t know what dollar amount were talking since you included percentages and it’s a little vague and I’m a little lazy to look the costs up and calculate it out on my phone(sorry :-)) but I don’t think it would be a mistake to attend Judge or Said. Though Judge is usually considered stronger and more established... But in any case you won’t be using the name of Judge or Said, instead it will be Cambridge or oxford.... no wrong choice.

I can see why I would lean towards Cambridge or Oxford - global brands that would have a strong name recognition in Singapore and SE Asia and Europe. As long as you can justify it for your goals and aspirations.

Congratulations!

Posted from my mobile device
B
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Really need help- Cambridge vs Oxford vs NTU vs Rotman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2019, 06:07
Hi BB.

Thanks for the detailed post, appreciate it.

My company will not be sponsoring me and I will probably take a loan out to pursue the MBA.

The cost after scholarship and including cost of living:

NTU - 48k
Cambridge - 119k
Oxford - 146k

Between judge and said, said has been climbing the ranks recently and I thought the additional $ might be worth it? not sure. but currently leaning towards cambridge.

bb wrote:
Congratulations on your admits! Fantastic job! Also congratulations on your scholarships.

It is also fantastic that you already have an offer from your employer to potentially come back after your business school. Would they consider sponsoring you?

As to the choices, two-year programs are usually better because they have summer internships and allow you to switch industries and get a brand-name company on your resume even if it’s just for the summer. It sounds like you’re not switching industries or potentially even companies ;-) so a 1-year program would be just fine.

My suggestion is often to go to school in the country where you plan on living and working. If you’re going to stay in Singapore, it would be most beneficial to be close to your Alma matter and the network that it has. Your plan to go away for a year to the UK and exploring new horizons and opportunities sounds good too. I don’t know what dollar amount were talking since you included percentages and it’s a little vague and I’m a little lazy to look the costs up and calculate it out on my phone Your plan to go away for a year to the UK and exploring new horizons and opportunities sounds good too. I don’t know what dollar amount were talking since you included percentages and it’s a little vague and I’m a little lazy to look the costs up and calculate it out on my phone(sorry :-)) but I don’t think it would be a mistake to attend Judge or Said. Though Judge is usually considered stronger and more established... But in any case you won’t be using the name of Judge or Said, instead it will be Cambridge or oxford.... no wrong choice.

I can see why I would lean towards Cambridge or Oxford - global brands that would have a strong name recognition in Singapore and SE Asia and Europe. As long as you can justify it for your goals and aspirations.

Congratulations!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Really need help- Cambridge vs Oxford vs NTU vs Rotman   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2019, 06:07

Really need help- Cambridge vs Oxford vs NTU vs Rotman

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate