Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V21
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Re: Research studies have documented that chicken eggs are a [#permalink]
I would go with A. My reasons for:

Not B, since writer says that the "study showed that acute exposure to cell phone radiation", means that the radiation was already acute during the study with the setup of 21-day and 6 cms distance.

Not C, as it says avoid 6cm distance radiation "at any time during the pregnancy". But the study shows the damage was done after 21-day radiation exposure. So I would conclude A rather then concluding C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V21
Send PM
A:
B: No Good. This is not stated in the passage.
C: This option is about cell phones. "Radiation" word is missing
D: This is not there in the authors argument. Author has not mentioned anything like this
E: Far Fetched.

This is my logic. Initially, i didn't liked option A. After POE i was left with only A.
A sounds more of a suggestion. Which the author may or may not like to give.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Source and official answer please ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Though if choosing between A and C...But C is going to extreme...Focuses in the 6 cms...So i'll choose A...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
And I thought suggestion type answer choices are almost always wrong on the GMAT :(

The inference I came up with after pre thinking:
Continuous exposure of cell phone radiations may lead to increased incidence of birth defects in human fetus

After POE I'm left with A.

Expert guidance please!! Can suggestion type answer choices ever correct on GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE:Research (Education)
Send PM
My choice is A. My explanation is same with others
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
mbaMission wrote:
Research studies have documented that chicken eggs are a good proxy to show the effects of various substances on human fetuses. The results of a new study showed that acute exposure to cell phone radiation caused an increased incidence of birth defects in chickens. The eggs were exposed to cell phone radiation continuously throughout the 21-day incubation period from an emission source placed 6 centimeters away from each egg.

Which of the following can be logically concluded from the above passage?
*Pregnant women should avoid excessive amounts of cell phone radiation in the vicinity of the womb.
*If the emission source had been placed closer to the eggs, the incidence of birth defects would have been even higher.
*Pregnant women should not allow cell phones within 6 centimeters of their abdomens at any time during the pregnancy.
*Radiation was the sole cause of the birth defects in the chickens.
*In this case, the results will not be relevant for humans because the primary consequence was thinning of the eggs' shells, which then resulted in the birth defects.

Pls help

I call this type of questions live scenario question. Because you must bring in assumption from your live scenario. Ofcourse it was never in the argument that pregnant women want less harm to fetus. Was it?

Wasn't the conclusion quite emotional?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
i was torn between a & e, but went w/ a.

however, i'd like to hear other ppl's takes on why to elim e (please not official explanation)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
I would go with D because logically that is what has been stated and option A seems like an emotional answer. little far fetched.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Vijayaravind wrote:
I would go with D because logically that is what has been stated and option A seems like an emotional answer. little far fetched.

D is nowhere near the correct answer. This is an INFERENCE question, so the answer need be 100% true.
- One of the main tricks the GMAT uses for Inference Q's is the use of EXAGGERATED LANGUAGE (seen in "D")
> D. Radiation was the sole cause of the birth defects in the chickens.
-> Really? the sole cause? What if there were other causes (not discussed in the passage) that also contributed meaningfully to child birth defects? Just b/c this wasn't addressed doesn't make it not true.
-> Also, if I'm picking holes here, (D) talks about radiation in general. WE ARE ONLY CONCERNED WITH CELL PHONE RADIATION.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
mbaMission wrote:
Research studies have documented that chicken eggs are a good proxy to show the effects of various substances on human fetuses. The results of a new study showed that acute exposure to cell phone radiation caused an increased incidence of birth defects in chickens. The eggs were exposed to cell phone radiation continuously throughout the 21-day incubation period from an emission source placed 6 centimeters away from each egg.

A. Pregnant women should avoid excessive amounts of cell phone radiation in the vicinity of the womb.
B. If the emission source had been placed closer to the eggs, the incidence of birth defects would have been even higher.
C. Pregnant women should not allow cell phones within 6 centimeters of their abdomens at any time during the pregnancy.
D. Radiation was the sole cause of the birth defects in the chickens.
E. In this case, the results will not be relevant for humans because the primary consequence was thinning of the eggs' shells, which then resulted in the birth defects.

Source: Peterson

I took the question at face value. I think the answer is C. Eggs in their shell would be equivalent to a baby in the womb. I don't know if this answer is too direct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
CaribenaMorena wrote:
mbaMission wrote:

A. Pregnant women should avoid excessive amounts of cell phone radiation in the vicinity of the womb.
B. If the emission source had been placed closer to the eggs, the incidence of birth defects would have been even higher.
C. Pregnant women should not allow cell phones within 6 centimeters of their abdomens at any time during the pregnancy.
D. Radiation was the sole cause of the birth defects in the chickens.
E. In this case, the results will not be relevant for humans because the primary consequence was thinning of the eggs' shells, which then resulted in the birth defects.

Source: Peterson

I took the question at face value. I think the answer is C. Eggs in their shell would be equivalent to a baby in the womb. I don't know if this answer is too direct.

The passage says: "The eggs were exposed to cell phone radiation continuously throughout the 21-day incubation period".
Why would you think the answer should be: "Pregnant women should not allow cell phones within 6 centimeters of their abdomens at any time during the pregnancy."?
- I addressed this in the comment above -- this A/C is TOO EXTREME. The idea here is that OVER-EXPOSURE = BAD. Regular exposure may not be so bad -- we, the reader, cannot know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Vijayaravind wrote:

A is perfect conclusion. C and D are not the conclusion of the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [1]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Send PM
Kudos
Vijayaravind wrote:

For people like me who think A and D are contenders

Line of thinking

The passage suggests X caused Y(radiation caused birth defects)..so we can assume its causal in nature and so Only X causes Y is implied by the author.

But notice the statement

The passage mentions that radiation caused "increased incidence of birth defects," and this means that --- some number were already occurring due to other causes.So be careful with TRAP wordings ..X increased means at least some X was there ..

Press Kudos if it helps!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
prabsahi Be careful! Although you're right that "increased" implies that there could be other causes, it's also to important to note that "X caused Y" never implies "only X causes Y." If I say that moldy cake made me sick, I'm definitely not saying that moldy cake is the only thing in the world that can make someone sick! (If only good health were as simple as avoiding moldy cake . . . )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
prabsahi Be careful! Although you're right that "increased" implies that there could be other causes, it's also to important to note that "X caused Y" never implies "only X causes Y." If I say that moldy cake made me sick, I'm definitely not saying that moldy cake is the only thing in the world that can make someone sick! (If only good health were as simple as avoiding moldy cake . . . )

Thank you so much for clarifying this point.I had this doubt earlier as well.

So,here is my takeaway.

X led to Y or X caused Y model :

This doesn't necessarily necessarily mean its a causal relationtship and so the implied assumption only X causes Y can be false.

X leads to Y or X causes Y model.

This does necessarily mean its a causal relationship and so the implied assumption only X causes Y will be true!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm afraid that's not right, either. Imagine that I changed the tense of my example and generalized: Moldy cake makes people sick. I could even make it 100% certain: Moldy cake always makes people sick. That still wouldn't tell us that we can't get sick any other way. To get an "only" causal relationship, we need to be told that directly:

Only X causes Y.

Y happens only as a result of X.

However, since the GMAT deals mostly with realistic situations rather than formal logic, I doubt you will ever see this on the test. It's very hard (one might say impossible) to find realistic examples in which we KNOW that only one thing could possibly cause a certain effect.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts