GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross Cracks the Top 10

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Ross Cracks the Top 10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 11:35
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... ss-schools
See the link to the article for more information.
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q160 V156
GPA: 3.95
Re: Ross Cracks the Top 10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 11:47
Awesome! Makes me even happier about my decision to apply to Ross and not Yale.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 11:50
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 12:18
BirdLaw wrote:

What is your GMAT score?

All the best for Ross :-)
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 09:59
Gladiator59 wrote:
BirdLaw wrote:

What is your GMAT score?

All the best for Ross :-)

Thanks! I have a 760. Why do you ask BTW?

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 13:04
Ross is a terrific school, but rejecting Yale because of a rating change? Not sure I agree with that.
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 13:03
Jazzy3113 wrote:
Ross is a terrific school, but rejecting Yale because of a rating change? Not sure I agree with that.

(S)He said even happier - so probably already had his/her mind made up on Ross?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 13:16
Fair point, but surprised so many of you would go to Ross over Yale.
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 13:23
I have had a multitude of reasoning to pick Ross over Yale, but I am probably not the best person to speak on this as I was dinged by Yale. However, given both the choices I’d definitely pick Ross. I can see how it comes off as sour grapes but I have some serious issues with Yale.

Posted from my mobile device

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 14:08
Jazzy3113 wrote:
Fair point, but surprised so many of you would go to Ross over Yale.

It’s actually not that surprising. First Yale has not had a good reputation as a business school until the last 5 years. To get to where they are today they basically only accepted students with high stats in order to inflate their ranking. This is also reflected in the reason why they didn’t make the top 10 this year. If you read the analysis by poets and quants it shows that they dropped out of the top 10 despite increasing their average gpa and average gmat and the reason was because they do not do as well as schools like Ross in recruiting and starting salary. The data seems to point toward Ross students being more attractive to recruiters and given that getting a job is the whole point of bschool I would take better recruiting stats over better gmat scores any day.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 14:10
Also forgot to mention that Ross has been very reliably ranked in the top 10-12 whereas Yale has not been reliable in their rank over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 14:55
FuturePM91 wrote:
Also forgot to mention that Ross has been very reliably ranked in the top 10-12 whereas Yale has not been reliable in their rank over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Damn, Elle - dropping some serious T-Bombs in here!

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 16:02
I guess I would just default to an Ivy that is located near NYC (if I could only choose between those two). I cannot imagine going to Yale hurting one's career prospects. To each, their own!
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 16:09
Jazzy3113 wrote:
I guess I would just default to an Ivy that is located near NYC (if I could only choose between those two). I cannot imagine going to Yale hurting one's career prospects. To each, their own!

Defaulting to an ivy for grad school programs would be a mistake. The Ivy League reputation really only applies for undergraduate education. Yale’s bschool reputation is not on par with its much more respected undergraduate program.

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 05:13
FuturePM91 wrote:
Jazzy3113 wrote:

Defaulting to an ivy for grad school programs would be a mistake. The Ivy League reputation really only applies for undergraduate education. Yale’s bschool reputation is not on par with its much more respected undergraduate program.

I agree with your statement except for maybe international students. The consulting firms and foreign banks will know the schools but non-profits and foreign corporations may not. During one of my visits to a Non-Ivy top 10 program, one of the international students said their parents and friends were confused why they went to this M7 and not Yale. The parents were unfamiliar with the undergrad school brand because it is not as widely known as Yale.

Personally, I've worked with great people from almost every top 12 school and I've worked with bad people from almost every top 12 school - with no real correlation between performance and bschool ranking. If you're a hard worker and have gone to a good school, I think you're fine... unless you want to go into PE or VC.

Last thing I will say, two of my closest mentors are Rossers (I believe that is the term) and can go toe to toe with anyone, any day.

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 08:29
Bowtye wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
Jazzy3113 wrote:

I agree with your statement except for maybe international students. The consulting firms and foreign banks will know the schools but non-profits and foreign corporations may not. During one of my visits to a Non-Ivy top 10 program, one of the international students said their parents and friends were confused why they went to this M7 and not Yale. The parents were unfamiliar with the undergrad school brand because it is not as widely known as Yale.

Personally, I've worked with great people from almost every top 12 school and I've worked with bad people from almost every top 12 school - with no real correlation between performance and bschool ranking. If you're a hard worker and have gone to a good school, I think you're fine... unless you want to go into PE or VC.

Last thing I will say, two of my closest mentors are Rossers (I believe that is the term) and can go toe to toe with anyone, any day.

I think there is some truth to this. My parents definitely know both Yale and UMich but consider Yale's prestige more because tons of Indian presidents are from there. But from a pure business school standpoint, I think school such as Tuck, Ross and Darden are widely known simply because how long they have been in the game. While ivys such as Cornell and Yale are prestigious from an undergrad and often law school standpoint, their business cred is not yet at the same level - rankings aside. One of the example is Stern - while almost always out of the top 10 in any of the rankings, but has always been a very strong program for business students.

My gripe with Yale is not whether it is an ivy league or not (though I could not disagree more with the ivy-status prestige - not many people know Dartmouth internationally, but Tuck garners incredible respect from the business circuit), but more to do with completely switching what the school stands for.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 08:40
souvik101990 wrote:
Bowtye wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
[quote="Jazzy3113"]I guess I would just default to an Ivy that is located near NYC (if I could only choose between those two). I cannot imagine going to Yale hurting one's career prospects. To each, their own!

I think there is some truth to this. My parents definitely know both Yale and UMich but consider Yale's prestige more because tons of Indian presidents are from there. But from a pure business school standpoint, I think school such as Tuck, Ross and Darden are widely known simply because how long they have been in the game. While ivys such as Cornell and Yale are prestigious from an undergrad and often law school standpoint, their business cred is not yet at the same level - rankings aside. One of the example is Stern - while almost always out of the top 10 in any of the rankings, but has always been a very strong program for business students.

My gripe with Yale is not whether it is an ivy league or not (though I could not disagree more with the ivy-status prestige - not many people know Dartmouth internationally, but Tuck garners incredible respect from the business circuit), but more to do with completely switching what the school stands for.[/quote]

Does it really matter whether or not your parents/friends know the name of the school though?

Maybe I could see the point if you’re targeting smaller employers and non-profits that aren’t experienced with hiring MBA’s but I would think that someone who is recruiting MBA students would know the reputations of the schools they are recruiting from regardless of whether they are international or US based companies.

Yes the general public probably recognizes the Yale name more but so what? Isn’t it more important that the recruiters recognize the prestige of your degree rather than the general public? And wouldn’t those people generally know which programs are considered “better” than others?

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 18:13
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 09:23
tlockee wrote:

That’s crazy. M7 :P

Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 09:42
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross Cracks the Top 10 &nbs [#permalink] 20 Mar 2018, 09:42

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Ross Cracks the Top 10

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap