GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jun 2020, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross vs Columbia

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge
Ross vs Columbia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 22:38
Hi Everyone,

Finally after a year of working to get into schools I have 2 offers from Universities and I have no idea which one to choose ! It would be great if you guys could help me out in what you think you would do?

My post-mba career goal is to pursue technology management like product management.

On the one-side there is Columbia which is M7 and on the other Ross which is a great school since the past couple of years. Given that Ross might (waiting for official confirmation in January) go STEM and I would be an International student from India, that would be a big boost.

I assume the same companies come to both schools more or less. But anyone knows if they hire for the same positions or do some schools get better job positions available for recruiting? Would there be any difference in tech recruiting ?

Any suggestions/opinions would be of immense help :) !

souvik101990 bb Would be great to get some insights from the two of you given I have read so so so many posts from the both of you ! It has been so helpful throughout this journey!

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Ross vs Columbia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 22:56
Not bad for a confused admit ;-)
Congratulations!!!

Columbia is great and getting an admit there is awesome but Ross + STEM > CBS.

Ross would have a side benefit of being cheaper too in terms of cost of living.

Posted from my mobile device
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Ross vs Columbia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 23:01
bb wrote:
Not bad for a confused mba admit ;-)
Congratulations!!!

Columbia is great and getting an admit there is awesome but Ross + STEM > CBS.

Ross would have a side benefit of being cheaper too in terms of cost of living.

Not assosciated with the link :lol: :lol: ! I know this is a lot to ask but would you have any idea on the difference in tech recruiting? I am leaning towards Ross also if they get STEM.
Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 10:20
Hey hey!

First off, BIG congratulations on getting two offers from great schools. Before I give out my feedback or answers to your questions, let me ask you this. Will you be looking at big tech (think Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Google etc.) or smaller tech companies too (Spotify, Uber, Lyft, Airbnb)? Let me know because that matters a lot!

Also, Ross will have STEM for you for sure but Columbia might be getting it too. All schools are getting it to attract international students so just check in with them if it is in the pipeline and that would also make your decision a bit more difficult but more information is always good!
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 10:23
I’ll go with Ross on this one. Ross is solid for technology, Columbia isn’t as strong as Ross for tech.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 10:30
Hey!! So I was looking at big tech because in case the visa stuff doesn't work out I assume they would be more open to relocating me. Correct me if I'm wrong !? Also johnjohnj, I was wondering if that is the case because not so many people at Columbia would be interested in tech ? But yeah I would love your opinion on tech recruiting Souvik given your background :)

Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 10:39
confusedmbaadmit wrote:
Hey!! So I was looking at big tech because in case the visa stuff doesn't work out I assume they would be more open to relocating me. Correct me if I'm wrong !? Also johnjohnj, I was wondering if that is the case because not so many people at Columbia would be interested in tech ? But yeah I would love your opinion on tech recruiting Souvik given your background :)

Ross sends around 20% of its class to tech while Columbia sends about 15%. This is from their employment reports.

HOWEVER, employment reports are deceptive.

Tech recruiting is incredibly nuanced. You can get into a strategy role or a finance analyst role or a marketing role or a whatever you can think of role in Tech and it would still be considered Tech!

The reason why Ross's numbers are so much bigger is because of Amazon and Microsoft and they hire for all possible roles (PM, PMM, Finance, Ops, HR). I think Ross does extremely well with tech, but when I spent my summer at Apple, the number of folks in Columbia were much higher and Ross is not a target school for many niche-er tech companies.

If you want to recruit for Google, Facebook (does not sponsor international students), and other sexy but smaller tech companies (Lyft, Uber, Airbnb etc.), Columbia might be a tad better.

However if you are focused on Amazon, Microsoft, Google and Apple (Apple just interviewed a BUNCH of MBA1s this year - I'd like to believe I had something to do with it :P), Ross is unbeatable and will perform better than Columbia.
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 10:51
Thanks a lot for the detailed response on the tech recruiting. My aim is definitely product management and not other related tech jobs. I am looking at the latter ones you mentioned and I think that's a perfect insight into what I needed to know. Given Amazon, Microsoft and Google would be top of my list :D !

Irrespective of what happens I would love to be able to connect with you guys later when I am state qside :)

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2019, 09:49
Columbia has started the transition to STEM and we received an email from the Dean mentioning it will likely be effective for all students graduating from 2021. Ross is a great school, but I see Columbia’s brand as much more solid and enduring, especially given the new campus opening soon. I didn’t recruit for Tech, but students I knew who were interested in the sector invariably got pretty great roles (Amazon, Google, Apple etc) last summer. If I were you I would go to both Admit weekends, talk to current students in your industry etc.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2019, 10:22
Hey Thanks for the insight. That sounds great and just made my decision tougher :D ! I'll try talking to some people recruiting for tech and see :)!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross vs Columbia   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2019, 10:22

Ross vs Columbia

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate