It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC : Redundancy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

SC : Redundancy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 23:14
While scorpion sting can cause moderate damage to an adult human, it can be potentially devastating to infants or elderly humans – the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– for whom it may even cause death.

A) it can be potentially devastating to infants or elderly humans – the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– for whom it may even cause death.
B) it can potentially be devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins acting by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– who may even die.
C) it can devastate infants or elderly humans– the toxins bind to sodium channels, which inhibit the inactivation of activated channels and block neuronal transmission– causing even death.
D) it could be potentially devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins binding to sodium channels, thereby inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– for whom it can even be lethal.
E) it is potentially devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– to whom it can even be lethal.

Source : Gmat club Tests

The answer explanation says A,B,D has redundancy issues for using "can be potentially”“can potentially be” and “could be potentially”.

Could you explain y these are redundant?

Kindly help me in approaching this question in the right way.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SC : Redundancy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 00:03
sree9890 wrote:
While scorpion sting can cause moderate damage to an adult human, it can be potentially devastating to infants or elderly humans – the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– for whom it may even cause death.

A)it can be potentially devastating to infants or elderly humans – the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– for whom it may even cause death.
B)it can potentially be devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins acting by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– who may even die.
c)it can devastate infants or elderly humans– the toxins bind to sodium channels, which inhibit the inactivation of activated channels and block neuronal transmission– causing even death.
D) it could be potentially devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins binding to sodium channels, thereby inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– for whom it can even be lethal.
E)it is potentially devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– to whom it can even be lethal.

The answer explanation says A,B,D has redundancy issues for using "can be potentially”“can potentially be” and “could be potentially”.

Here's my 2 cents:

IMO, In this question 'Can' and 'Potentially' are used to signify possibility or uncertainty. And both of these words can be used to do so. For instance,

1. This can/could be a threat to the economy. - Here we are not sure if it will definitely be a threat, we are just giving a possibility.
2. This is a potential threat to the economy. - Here again, we are saying that it has the potential to be a threat to the economy, will it be one for sure? we dont know with certainty!

So a sentence such as- "This can be a potential threat to our economy", though common in our speech, overemphasizes the uncertainty by using both the words.

Hope this resolves the redundancy issue :)

How to approach this:
When i first read the prompt, i did not identify the 'Can+Potentially' redundancy, because that sounded correct to ears. But while looking for splits i found that this was one of the splits; that immediately rung bells- "There can be a potential redundancy error in this sentence" .. see even in our thoughts this sound correct but for the GMAT this is a big NO NO! :D

So if you are clueless, look at the options and find slipts to strike-off options.

BTW, is the OA E?

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 142

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8754 [0], given: 105

Re: SC : Redundancy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 15:18
sree9890 wrote:

A) it can be potentially devastating to infants or elderly humans – the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– for whom it may even cause death.
B) it can potentially be devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins acting by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– who may even die.
C) it can devastate infants or elderly humans– the toxins bind to sodium channels, which inhibit the inactivation of activated channels and block neuronal transmission– causing even death.
E) it is potentially devastating for infants or elderly humans– the toxins act by binding to sodium channels, inhibiting the inactivation of activated channels and blocking neuronal transmission– to whom it can even be lethal.

Dear sree9890,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I see that arhumsid already gave you a very good response. Yes, "can potentially do X" is redundant: one will hear such things in colloquial speech, especially when people are uncertain or hedging, but in formal written speech, this is in appropriate.

I will say that this question is an atrocious question. As a question, I would give it a grade of D. This is a flawed and problematic question, not typically of the high quality questions on the GMAT. Some of the verbal questions on the GC Tests are good, but some are not so good. By contrast, all the math is of exceptionally high quality, largely because it's all be vetted by that genius Bunuel!

Here's a good SC question:
What the eye sees
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a video explanation for the question. Each one of Magoosh's 1000+ practice questions has its own VE, for accelerated learning.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8754 [0], given: 105

Re: SC : Redundancy   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2016, 15:18

SC : Redundancy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap