GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Mar 2019, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should I retake the GMAT - 760 (50Q, 42V, 8IR, ? AWA)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Should I retake the GMAT - 760 (50Q, 42V, 8IR, ? AWA)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 13:37
Before you write my post off as a troll, please hear me out. I just took the GMAT yesterday and got a 760 (50Q, 42V, 8IR, ?AWA). While I am pretty happy with the score, I feel like I could have done a lot better.

My GMAT Prep practice scores were as follows:
- GMATPrep 1: 740 (48Q, 44V) - took this cold with absolutely no prep
- GMATPrep 2: 750 (48Q, 45V) - took this after 2ish weeks of prep
- GMATPrep 3: 770 (50Q, 44V) - 1 week before exam
- GMATPrep 4: 770 (50Q, 44V) - 2 days before exam

What's worrying to me is my verbal score was two points lower than any of my practice tests, which I feel like could definitely be improved. I attributed this to me taking too much time on earlier questions - I spent 4 min individually on multiple verbal questions and had to do the last 10 questions in 8 minutes. I firmly believe that had my timing been on point for verbal, I would have at least scored 44-45V, if not higher.

Because of all of these factors, I'm thinking about retaking the exam. I feel like a 770 is very doable for me on a retake, a 780 less so (but could still happen on a good day). Do you guys think I should retake? The only thing I'm worried about is adcoms thinking that I'm too anal about a score, especially if I retake a 760 to only get a 10 point improvement

Cost is not an issue, as I am at an MBB that pays for all GMAT prep. I feel like my GMAT score is of extra importance given the fact that I am an Asian male targeting M7 schools (particularly H/S/W) - not sure if this matters at all.
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I retake the GMAT - 760 (50Q, 42V, 8IR, ? AWA)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 13:53
Hello ocbdcdb .... wolcome to the community. AND congratulations on such a steller score :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

GMAC says that your performance on th test day is with in the range of +/-30 of your actual ability. So the range is 730-790 . The same is evident from your mocks as well.
Moreover you seem to be confident at your ability to do better. Although 760 is more than enough for your stated targets, if I were you I would definitely take the exam again.

All the best!!

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 01:05
ocbdcdb wrote:
Before you write my post off as a troll, please hear me out. I just took the GMAT yesterday and got a 760 (50Q, 42V, 8IR, ?AWA). While I am pretty happy with the score, I feel like I could have done a lot better.

What's worrying to me is my verbal score was two points lower than any of my practice tests, which I feel like could definitely be improved. I attributed this to me taking too much time on earlier questions - I spent 4 min individually on multiple verbal questions and had to do the last 10 questions in 8 minutes. I firmly believe that had my timing been on point for verbal, I would have at least scored 44-45V, if not higher.

Because of all of these factors, I'm thinking about retaking the exam. I feel like a 770 is very doable for me on a retake, a 780 less so (but could still happen on a good day). Do you guys think I should retake? The only thing I'm worried about is adcoms thinking that I'm too anal about a score, especially if I retake a 760 to only get a 10 point improvement

Cost is not an issue, as I am at an MBB that pays for all GMAT prep. I feel like my GMAT score is of extra importance given the fact that I am an Asian male targeting M7 schools (particularly H/S/W) - not sure if this matters at all.

Hello ocbdcdb

Your score is already awesome :thumbup:

Scoring 770 or 780 would not make any difference.

The Stanford average GMAT score of accepted students is 732 and that is highest of all M7.

You are already pretty much above that.

You should ask yourself, since that is average score, what was so interesting about people who were accepted at Stanford with scores that were below 700 for instance ?

All admission committees evaluate your profile holistically and you should start spending time on other aspects of your application.

Work on personal essay as most important one, recommendation letters etc.

Good Luck with H S W ! :geek: :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 03:09
ocbdcdb wrote:

You have done really well and I want to congratulate you!!
Please note that GMAT is just the only aspect in your application while there are many more things you need to look at e.g essays, SOPs, your interview and all. I think you should focus on the latter aspect bow. Please look forward to the following link
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/whats-a-good-gmat-score/
Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 10:35
ocbdcdb wrote:

760 is a premium score; therefore I want to congratulate you.

Whatever you decide, I want to wish you all the very best for your future endeavors.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 06:42
Hi ocbdcdb,

I agree with much of what has been said. I think you are set with a 750!

Good luck with your applications.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 08:45
ocbdcdb wrote:

Getting 760 is not so easy. You get it because of hard working. If you don't practice GMAT regularly, then you can't get this extra-ordinary score in future. So, as you've recent practice on GMAT your should try to get a higher score as cost is not problem to you.
There's not the big gap in between 760 and 780 in application process, probably. But, you should try for higher score if you wanna be a perfectionist!
Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

GMAT Club Bot
Should I retake the GMAT - 760 (50Q, 42V, 8IR, ? AWA)   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 08:45

Should I retake the GMAT - 760 (50Q, 42V, 8IR, ? AWA)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap