GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake the GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I retake?

• 40% [2]
  • 60% [3]
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 08:25
i took the gmat at on Dec 28th, 2016, and scored a 6 AWA 6 IR 690 Overall 45 Quant 40 Verb. Before i took this test i read through the MGMAT prep guides and did the OG problem sets only. This took about 3 months. I took zero full length practice test.

I decided i would retake it one more time, since most people do better on the retake. I spent another 3 months studying, but with a ton of new material.

I used:
1. OG
2. OG verb and quant review
3. MGMAT guides
4. Magoosh
5. GMAT Prep Soft extra questions
6. 10 hrs of MGMAT private tutoring
7. Took 3 MGMAT full exams, scored about 660, and 2 GMAT prep soft exams, scored 720 both times.

I took the GMAT yesterday, 4/6/2017, and i scored a 7 IR 690 Overall 44 Quant and 40 Verb. I dont know how, but i spent more time studying, and spent more money on material, but still ended up with the same score.

Is it worth studying 1 more month and retaking it a month from now?

some background: i graduated from NYU Stern Undergrad with a 3.5 gpa, Finance and Accounting double major. Worked at a hedgefund for 2 years and a top investment bank in IBD for two years.
Magoosh Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 11:44
Hi lebron23Goat,

First off, a 690 is a fantastic score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools/Programs that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest though, then we have to examine how you were studying for the Quant section before. Many Business Schools Admissions Officers consider an applicant's Quant Scaled Score to be an indicator of how the applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program. While a Q45 won't 'impress' anyone, it would only be a 'red flag' at Finance Programs and other Specialty Programs. Your recent Official Score shows that you 'respond' to the GMAT in the same general ways as before - so you would need to put a greater emphasis on learning/practicing new Tactics and changing the 'default' way that you deal with the Quant section.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 14:08
EMPOWERgmatRichC thx for the reply. I have scheduled a consultation with mbaMission. In addition, i have scheduled a private meeting with an admissions officer at Stern.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 14:48
Well, you went to NYU and worked in IB and at a hedge fund. You should be able to master that high school math, Q48 is really not that difficult - I'd expect that to be your base score :) (just kidding, I have no idea

If you decide to retake, I'd recommend you to practice your timing and learn when to guess and move on - this can significantly up your score (maybe a solid starting point link link )Three months is a lot of time and I guess your concepts are solid. Also, do check gmatclub tests, I see you haven't used them.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 14:52
kivalo thx for the reply. the math i learned at stern and in IBD is completely different from standardized test math. its more equity valuation, DCF math. a lot of excel work and never pen and pad. at least from my perspective, i feel like gmat math is completely different from what i do in the real world.

thx for the link as well. ill check it out.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 15:04
Yes, but what I was aiming at is that they both do not a rocket science math, but do reward an ability to solve simple problems quickly and consistently. Anyway, good luck, in my opinion proper timing + a lot of practice should do it :)
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 07:15
Hi lebron23Goat,

A 690 is a phenomenal score. I think you will be able to make it to your dream business school provided you focus on and present a strong application. If, however you feel comfortable giving another attempt, you have a good enough time between now and early May to improve your score. If you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 08:03
lebron23Goat wrote:

Is it worth studying 1 more month and retaking it a month from now?

As you crossed twice the 700 landmark in GMATprep, and as you feel that latest score is not representative of your preparation, there is a good chance that score will improve.

BUT

Ensure that
- you will continue retake- study right from current level (without taking a break) &
- you can make a more extensive study during this month.

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 16:17
for anyone interested, i retook the test today. i didnt study much in the 20 or so days between test. went on vacation and relaxed actually. went into the test saying, f it, this is the last time im taking it and im done. scored a 720, 46Q and 44 V.
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 17:06
Congrats! Care to share how you felt during the exam? If there's anything different that you did? I think many people would benefit from your story. A lot of people don't know how to improve after months of studying so would love to hear how a 20 day vacation helped you improve your score by 30 points!

Winners dont make excuses.

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 17:12
jkolachi i will be doing a full write up and review for MGMAT tutoring courses, once i get the link to my official scores. For me it was all mental. i took the test the first time with zero worries, and vacationed, got 690. on the second test, in my mind all i could think about was i spent so many more hours, so many more dollars. I HAVE TO SCORE HIGHER.

This time i went into it and just said F it, im just going to relax and try my best. i also printed out my two score reports for my practice exams and pasted them on my wall. I got comfortable with the idea that on my practice test i scored 720, but on the real test i may not. that's just life. no matter how hard you try, still need to get lucky.

So even though the building decided to test their fire alarm system during my test.... i still maintained a positive attitude.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 19:10
side note, where is the best place to sell my used books?
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 05:08
lebron23Goat wrote:
for anyone interested, i retook the test today. i didnt study much in the 20 or so days between test. went on vacation and relaxed actually. went into the test saying, f it, this is the last time im taking it and im done. scored a 720, 46Q and 44 V.

Congratulations buddy ...read your entire post ..
I think with this score and your NYU double major you are probably well on course to your dream school ...

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 21:03
my review of mgmat tutoring and interact classes https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/m ... -345353643
Re: Should I retake the GMAT?   [#permalink] 08 May 2017, 21:03

Should I retake the GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap