GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Accounting)
Premium Member
Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 05:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:50) correct 62% (01:40) wrong based on 121 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles: Distinguished achievement depends not upon talent but upon luck.

A. Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles:

B. Criticizing success in public education cynically, many compare successful schooling to a
successful marble game:

C. School is a game of marbles, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education

D. The more cynical critics of public education say that success in schools is like playing marbles:

E. Many of the more cynical critics of public education say that succeeding in school is like playing marbles:
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 06:33
D and E are close

D is missing 'Many more'

So E is most suitable

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Re: Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 04:09
Doer01 wrote:
Hi,

What makes A incorrect?

Doer01 A is incorrect because the clause "according to many of the more cynical critics" is set into the sentence as an inessential clause. However, the whole meaning of the sentence depends on the fact that this is the ideology of cynical critics.
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 04:15
I actually chosed an incorrect answer, but I guess the explanation would be that the phrase is comparing 2 things: succeeding in school is like playing marbles. Thus, the 2 verbs have to be parallel: succeeding and playing. In the other answers we do not have this parallel form.
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 04:17
Quote:
Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles: Distinguished achievement depends not upon talent but upon luck.[/b]

A. Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles:
The "according to many...." clause is essential to the sentence meaning and cannot be set off by commas.

B. Criticizing success in public education cynically, many compare successful schooling to a
successful marble game
:
Who is "many"? This sentence completely removes the "cynical critics" part. Also, changes the sentence meaning...."successful schooling" to "successful marble game". This is not what the original sentence intended.

C. School is a game of marbles, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education
This makes school a metaphor for "game of marbles" when the intention is to compare the "succeeding in schools" to "playing a marble game." Also, we try to precede the colon with whatever needs further explanation. Usually the closer, the better.

D. The more cynical critics of public education say that success in schools is like playing marbles:
I don't think this is completely wrong in everyday speech, but we're incorrectly comparing an action "playing marbles" to "success".

E. Many of the more cynical critics of public education say that succeeding in school is like playing marbles:
This sentence adequately compares the action of succeeding in school to playing marbles.

Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 04:18
Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles: Distinguished achievement depends not upon talent but upon luck.

A. Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles:-> “success in school” is not parallel with “playing marbles”

B. Criticizing success in public education cynically, many compare successful schooling to a successful marble game: -> who are “many”?
C. School is a game of marbles, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education -> missing conjunction

D. The more cynical critics of public education say that success in schools is like playing marbles: -> “success in school” is not parallel with “playing marbles”
E. Many of the more cynical critics of public education say that succeeding in school is like playing marbles: -> correct: “succeeding in school” is parallel with “playing marbles”

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 13:00
mikemcgarry Would you like to make some comment on this question ?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2019, 13:00

Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap