GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is hig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is hig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2012, 18:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:50) correct 35% (02:05) wrong based on 963 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City than in any another city in the state. However, the percentage of local businesses with 15 employees or more is higher in Lakeshore City, which is in the same state, than in any other city in the state. If the statements above are true, then which of the following must also be true?

A. The percentage of local business with more than 18 employees is higher in Lakeshore city than in any other city in the state.

B. The state has more local business with more than ten employees than any other state in the country

C. The number of local business with 15 or more employees is greater in Lakeshore city than in Grandview city.

D. Some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10 and 15 employees

E. The average number of employees per business is higher in Lakeshore city than in Grandview City.[/i]

/
/
/
My issue is that the question says "which of the following must also be true? ". I can see that the answer can be/is likely to be true, but must? Trying to get my head around how I should best come to this answer. Any help appreciated. Best, Nick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is hig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2012, 20:07
The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City than in any another city in the state. However, the percentage of local businesses with 15 employees or more is higher in Lakeshore City, which is in the same state, than in any other city in the state. If the statements above are true, then which of the following must also be true?

a.The percentage of local business with more than 18 employees is higher in Lakeshore city than in any other city in the state.

b.The state has more local business with more than ten employees than any other state in the country

c.The number of local business with 15 or more employees is greater in Lakeshore city than in Grandview city.

d.Some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10 and 15 employees

e.The average number of employees per business is higher in Lakeshore city than in Grandview City.

From A & D
A can be true or can't be true
So D must be true ---to attempt the question :lol:

Pls correct me if m wrong

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is hig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 07:45
+ 1 D.
though some mathematics also involved.
If the percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City than in any another city in the state, and the percentage of local businesses with 15 employees or more is higher in Lakeshore City , it can clearly be inferred that Some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10 and 15 employees....

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 10:06
>> it can clearly be inferred that Some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10 and 15 employees....

How?

"...with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City". Could this not mean that the smallest business has, say, 27 employees?

and "the percentage of local businesses with 15 employees or more is higher in Lakeshore City" could this be one, and Grandview City have none?

Still can't see how D must be true.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 19:21
I only consider the 2 choices C & D. Choice C talks about the number while the argument talks about the percentage, so eliminate. On the other hand, choice D is more precise.

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 20:00
So....are you guys saying, in not so many words, that while its possible for D not to be true as the question asks you are choosing it as the least wrong answer?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2012, 19:30
Ans: D

"The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City than in any another city in the state..."

This means that at least some local businesses in Grandview city have at LEAST ten employees. This means that Answer D (which says that some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10-15 employees) is clearly true.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2012, 19:53
>>"The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City than in any another city in the state..."
>>This means that at least some local businesses in Grandview city have at LEAST ten employees

Agreed.

>>This means that Answer D (which says that some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10-15 employees) is clearly true

How so?

"The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City..." could mean that the smallest business has 27 employees, no? And if this were true then D would not meet the criteria of 'must' be true.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2012, 20:20
nickb99 wrote:
>>"The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City than in any another city in the state..."
>>This means that at least some local businesses in Grandview city have at LEAST ten employees

Agreed.

>>This means that Answer D (which says that some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10-15 employees) is clearly true

How so?

"The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is higher in Grandview City..." could mean that the smallest business has 27 employees, no? And if this were true then D would not meet the criteria of 'must' be true.

That cannot be true because then the statement "the percentage of local businesses with 15 employees or more is higher in Lakeshore City, which is in the same state, than in any other city in the state" would not be possible.

Remember that:
Grandview City = highest % with 10+ employees

Lakeshore City = highest % with 15+ employees

If the smallest business in Grandview has 27 employees as you said, then there's no way that Lakeshore has the highest % with 15+ employees.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 03:09
a.The percentage of local business with more than 18 employees is higher in Lakeshore city than in any other city in the state. Can't be said.
b.The state has more local business with more than ten employees than any other state in the country. There is no discussion of comparison between states in the country.
c.The number of local business with 15 or more employees is greater in Lakeshore city than in Grandview city. May be, but can't be sure from the argument.
d.Some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10 and 15 employees. Correct
e.The average number of employees per business is higher in Lakeshore city than in Grandview City. There is no discussion of average number of employees.

SKK

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2013, 10:27
nickb99 wrote:
(A) The percentage of local business with more than 18 employees is higher in Lakeshore city than in any other city in the state.
(B) The state has more local business with more than ten employees than any other state in the country
(C) The number of local business with 15 or more employees is greater in Lakeshore city than in Grandview city.
(D) Some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10 and 15 employees
(E) The average number of employees per business is higher in Lakeshore city than in Grandview City.

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike,
I am not able to understand how come option A is incorrect in this question. I am also not able to fully grasp the concepts of FACT TEST & how to perform the FACT TEST. Can you kindly throw some light on both the issues.

One more question, What is the difference between Inference questions & Must be True questions.
Waiting eagerly for your valuable insights. Regards, Fame

This one is a particularly tricky CR question, because it so numerical. Employing the "fact test" here requires some carefully selected numerical data.

Here's a very simplified scenario for analyzing (A).
In Grandview City, there are 100 companies, each with 12 employees.
In Lakeshore City, there are 100 companies ---- 20 companies have 8 employees each, and 80 companies have 16 employees each.
In Pinnacle City, there are 100 companies ----- 40 companies have 8 employees each, and 60 companies have 50 employees each.

Of these three cities --- the percentages of companies with more than 10 employees are
Grandview = 100%
Lakeshore = 80%
Pinnacle = 60%
So Grandview is the highest in this category.

Of these three cities --- the percentages of companies with 15 or more employees are
Grandview = 0%
Lakeshore = 80%
Pinnacle = 60%
So Lakeshore is the highest in this category.

Of these three cities --- the percentages of companies with 18 or more employees are
Grandview = 0%
Lakeshore = 0%
Pinnacle = 60%
So Pinnacle is the highest in this category.

This arrangement shows why (A) doesn't have to be true.

For all intents and purposes, "find the best supported conclusion", "what inference can you draw" and "which must be true" are all the same category of question.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.56
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 05:32
I understand why D is right. But can someone help me understand why C is wrong?

I understand it's talking about numbers and not percentages. But given that we have comparable components, is it not right to evaluate them against numbers as well?

" the percentage of local businesses with 15 employees or more is higher in Lakeshore City, which is in the same state, than in any other city in the state."

So, LS city has the highest percentage of businesses having 15 or more employees, in the state. Let's say x is the total number of businesses with 15 or more employees. Let LS have 15% share of x and GV have 10% share of x (some percentage lesser than 15, for if not, GV should've figured out to be having the highest percentage share). Then, we clearly see that 10% of x is smaller than 15% of x.

Doesn't that lead to "The number of local business with 15 or more employees is greater in Lakeshore city than in Grandview city."?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 06:56
D
As it should be between 10-15 to make the argument true

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 05:59
we are talking with percentages, so any answer choice that contains values/numbers is not good.

b.The state has more local business with more than ten employees than any other state in the country
bad, as it compares one state with another.

a.The percentage of local business with more than 18 employees is higher in Lakeshore city than in any other city in the state.
we don't know.

c.The number of local business with 15 or more employees is greater in Lakeshore city than in Grandview city.
we don't know, we speak about percentages.

yes!!!

e.The average number of employees per business is higher in Lakeshore city than in Grandview City.
we don't know!

D
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 08:58
nickb99 wrote:
First post, please go easy on me:)
Came across this test question doing my GMAT prep. See the bottom of this post for my issue with the answer.

/
/
/
My issue is that the question says "which of the following must also be true? ". I can see that the answer can be/is likely to be true, but must? Trying to get my head around how I should best come to this answer. Any help appreciated. Best, Nick

How I thought about Answer Choice D:

We know that Grandview City has Highest % of 10+ employees

Lakeshore City has Highest % of 15+ employees

When reading answer choice D, maybe you thought "Well what if all of Grandview City local businesses had 16+ employees. Or 17+ employees?"
Well, if that was the case, then Grandview would have highest % of 15+ employees and not Lakeshore.

Therefore, Grandview City MUST have at least one local business with between 10-15 employees.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 02:03
I am not able to grasp why C is not the correct answer here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 02:16
shreytrivedi wrote:
I am not able to grasp why C is not the correct answer here.

C is incorrect because we are given percentage shares in the original statement.

Option C however is talking about absolute numbers.
Thats the trap ;)

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is hig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 09:47
nickb99 wrote:

A. The percentage of local business with more than 18 employees is higher in Lakeshore city than in any other city in the state. Cannot be asserted

B. The state has more local business with more than ten employees than any other state in the country The question stem only talks about a particular state and there is no comparison with other states in the country.

C. The number of local business with 15 or more employees is greater in Lakeshore city than in Grandview city. This statement incorrectly talks about the number, whereas the question stem talks about percentage.

D. Some local businesses in Grandview City have between 10 and 15 employees This is the correct answer choice.

E. The average number of employees per business is higher in Lakeshore city than in Grandview City. Cannot be asserted

The highlighted portions above explains why option D is correct answer choice.

Consider giving a kudos, if you think my explanation is on point.
Kudos, we all need them :-)
GMAT Club Bot
The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is hig &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 09:47

The percentage of local businesses with more than ten employees is hig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap