GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 10:14

In Progress:

Admit Calls from Ross Join Chat Room | McCombs Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Nov 2018, 20:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (00:54) correct 56% (01:21) wrong based on 317 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented a clear picture of a dangerous situation.

A. The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented

B. As poorly designed as the report on nuclear power generation facilities was, it still presented

C. Poorly designed, the nuclear power generation facilities in the report, yet presenting

D. The report on nuclear power generation facilities, though poorly designed, yet it presented

E. In the poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented

Source: TTP Beta Testing

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 17 Nov 2018, 10:36.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 29 Nov 2018, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 21:34
IMo is B.
But in the answer it is not clear,what is poor designed the report or the power plant?
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 23:30
The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented a clear picture of a dangerous situation.

A. The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented(awkward)

B. As poorly designed as the report on nuclear power generation facilities was, it presented( keep)

C. Poorly designed, the nuclear power generation facilities in the report, yet presenting( poorly designed modifies the nuclear power generation facilities,no verb)

D. The report on nuclear power generation facilities, though poorly designed, yet it presented(what does first phrase modifies)

E. In the poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented( awkward)

What is the intended meaning?
Is the meaning
There is a report on poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities and the report presents a clear picture of a dangerous situation.
Or
There is a poorly designed report on nuclear power generation facilities yet the report presents a clear picture of a dangerous situation.
Or
The report is as poorly designed as nuclear power generation facilities are,t he report presents a clear picture of a dangerous situation.

Only option worth consideration is B

Experts please throw some light on this question.

Thanks

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Nov 2018, 19:06
sonusaini1 wrote:

A. The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented(awkward)

B. As poorly designed as the report on nuclear power generation facilities was, it still presented( keep)

C. Poorly designed, the nuclear power generation facilities in the report, yet presenting( poorly designed modifies the nuclear power generation facilities,no verb)

D. The report on nuclear power generation facilities, though poorly designed, yet it presented(what does first phrase modifies)

E. In the poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report, it nevertheless presented( awkward)

What is the intended meaning?
Is the meaning
There is a report on poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities and the report presents a clear picture of a dangerous situation.
Or
There is a poorly designed report on nuclear power generation facilities yet the report presents a clear picture of a dangerous situation.
Or
The report is as poorly designed as nuclear power generation facilities are,t he report presents a clear picture of a dangerous situation.

Only option worth consideration is B

Experts please throw some light on this question.

Thanks

There is a misconception about Sentence Correction questions that is often repeated. That misconception is that the way to answer them is to determine the intended meaning of the sentence and then find the choice that best expresses that meaning. Sometimes is it said that this "intended meaning" is the meaning expressed by the original version of the sentence.

It is true that, in many Sentence Correction questions, all of the choices do seem to be meant to express the same meaning, and so finding the choice that most effectively expresses that meaning can work fairly well in some cases. However, it is also true that, in many Sentence Correction questions, the choices express a variety of meanings, some of them nonsensical.

The upshot here is that the way to locate the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question is not to look for a version that best expresses some "intended meaning." The way to find the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question is to find the one version that effectively and grammatically expresses a meaning that makes sense.

In the case of this question, as you have noticed, what meaning is meant to be expressed by some of the choices is unclear. Other choices seem meant to express a variety of meanings. Only one version effectively and grammatically expresses a meaning that makes sense.

In (A) and (E), the phrase "poorly designed" could be meant to modify either "nuclear power generation facilities" or "report." So, neither of those choices conveys a clear meaning. Also, in (E), the unclear meaning issue is further compounded by the fact that the pronoun "it" has no clear referent, and so, what "presented the picture" is not clear.

(D) is a complete mess. It seems to express that the report was poorly designed, but the sentence is so poorly constructed that it conveys no clear meaning.

(C) is not a complete sentence, but it does at least convey that the nuclear power generation facilities were poorly designed.

We are left with (B).

(B) is clearly about the report. The pronoun "it" clearly refers to "the report". The singular verb "was" can only work with "report" and not with "facilities."

The second clause in (B) effectively expresses the logical meaning that the report presented a clear picture of a dangerous situation.

So, we are left to discern the meaning of the first part of (B). Here's (B).

B. As poorly designed as the report on nuclear power generation facilities was, it still presented

The first part is not a comparison of the report with the facilities. The first part is a structure that conveys something similar to the following:

"Even though the report on nuclear power generation facilities was poorly designed"

We could shorten the version created via the use of (B) to the following to more clearly see how this structure functions.

As poorly designed as the report was, it still presented a clear picture.

So, the meaning expressed by the best version of the sentence is that, while the report on the facilities was poorly designed, it presented a clear picture.

Of course, had choice (B) been written using a simple dependent clause beginning with "while", close to 100 percent of people would have chosen it. So, like the correct answers to many sentence correction questions, choice (B) is written in a way meant to obscure that it is correct.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 18 Nov 2018, 04:50.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 30 Nov 2018, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 04:13
daagh please comment on this. OA is really indigestible . Meaning and otherwise. GMATNinja sayantanc2k chetan2u
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 05:58
Top Contributor
Aditya
If one can't take a question, then skip it and go to the next. Who is compelling whom in the forum?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 06:08
daagh wrote:
Aditya
If one can't take a question, then skip it and go to the next. Who is compelling whom in the forum?

daagh
I just realized something and hence I would like to rephrase my comment.
Sir, may I know what made you comment this way? Is it the word "indigestible" ? If so then may I know what made you snap at me that way?

Indigestible meaning( Google) :

indigestible
adjective
(of food) difficult or impossible to digest.
"haute cuisine was largely indigestible to the majority"
too complex or awkward to read or understand easily.
"a turgid and indigestible book"

The second was my meaning and there is no other meaning to it unless someone wants to forge anew one. All I meant (explicitly) was that I m not able to understand this.

Now please tell me what facet or word of my comment made you say?
"If one can't accept... " This sounds too rude to me.

You seemed to be rude right now. But before I make my next comment / post the earlier one, I would like to clear out what you actually intended to say.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 06:58
Top Contributor
My point is that one shouldn't waste time on abnormal things. Are there no other practice questions? I know you just meant to say unacceptable by calling it indigestible. But what is the point in breaking one head on it?

There is a saying that the prudence is to know to drop things that you should and carry things that you should and above all the wisdom to know the difference.

Our job in the forum is not tail-twisting. This is my personal opinion and even suggestion to you. Be happy

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 20:40
This kind of questions comes on GMAT. Am I wrong this exam is about measuring our knowledge, or trying to drive us crazy?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 16:50
jorgetomas9 wrote:
This kind of questions comes on GMAT. Am I wrong this exam is about measuring our knowledge, or trying to drive us crazy?

The above question may not be a perfect representation of the Sentence Correction questions that you will see on the GMAT.

All the same, it is a decent question, and you have to be clear about the following.

While knowledge of certain rules of grammar and effective expression can be useful when you are answering Sentence Correction questions, Sentence Correction questions are not meant to test knowledge. The questions are meant to test your skill in determining whether sentences are effective. So, you need to approach Sentence Correction questions appropriately, or yes, they will drive you crazy.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Nov 2018, 04:15
AdityaHongunti wrote:
OA is really indigestible

if you just say this ^^, then it make sense, but the problem is in the following comment.

AdityaHongunti wrote:
@daagh, please comment on this.

The original poster is perfect scorer (most importantly, MartyMurray is an expert in this forum). If you mention other experts (or any other moderator) just to rectify the experts' post in this way, it looks awkward (somewhat NOT respectful way).

But, I can ensure you that you can mention any expert or moderator (whoever you like most) as there is a option to mention anyone in the forum.
Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Social Network:
https://www.facebook.com/IamAbuAsad

Originally posted by AsadAbu on 25 Nov 2018, 03:07.
Last edited by AsadAbu on 25 Nov 2018, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 03:31
MartyMurray wrote:
Quote:

B. As poorly designed as the report on nuclear power generation facilities was, it presented( keep)

There is a misconception about Sentence Correction questions that is often repeated. That misconception is that the way to answer them is to determine the intended meaning of the sentence and then find the choice that best expresses that meaning. Sometimes is it said that this "intended meaning" is the meaning expressed by the original version of the sentence.

It is true that, in many Sentence Correction questions, all of the choices do seem to be meant to express the same meaning, and so finding the choice that most effectively expresses that meaning can work fairly well in some cases. However, it is also true that, in many Sentence Correction questions, the choices express a variety of meanings, some of them nonsensical.

The upshot here is that the way to locate the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question is not to look for a version that best expresses some "intended meaning." The way to find the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question is to find the one version that effectively and grammatically expresses a meaning that makes sense.

In the case of this question, as you have noticed, what meaning is meant to be expressed by some of the choices is unclear. Other choices seem meant to express a variety of meanings. Only one version effectively and grammatically expresses a meaning that makes sense.

In (A) and (E), the phrase "poorly designed" could be meant to modify either "nuclear power generation facilities" or "report." So, neither of those choices conveys a clear meaning. Also, in (E), the unclear meaning issue is further compounded by the fact that the pronoun "it" has no clear referent, and so, what "presented the picture" is not clear.

(D) is a complete mess. It seems to express that the report was poorly designed, but the sentence is so poorly constructed that it conveys no clear meaning.

(C) is not a complete sentence, but it does at least convey that the nuclear power generation facilities were poorly designed.

We are left with (B).

(B) is clearly about the report. The pronoun "it" clearly refers to "the report". The singular verb "was" can only work with "report" and not with "facilities."

The second clause in (B) effectively expresses the logical meaning that the report presented a clear picture of a dangerous situation.

So, we are left to discern the meaning of the first part of (B). Here's (B).

B. As poorly designed as the report on nuclear power generation facilities was, it presented

The first part is not a comparison of the report with the facilities. The first part is a structure that conveys something similar to the following:

"Even though the report on nuclear power generation facilities was poorly designed"

We could shorten the version created via the use of (B) to the following to more clearly see how this structure functions.

As poorly designed as the report was, it presented a clear picture.

So, the meaning expressed by the best version of the sentence is that, while the report on the facilities was poorly designed, it presented a clear picture.

Of course, had choice (B) been written using a simple dependent clause beginning with "while", close to 100 percent of people would have chosen it. So, like the correct answers to many sentence correction questions, choice (B) is written in a way meant to obscure that it is correct.

Hey my honorable expert MartyMurray,
Your explanation is very clear to me, but I have still a query on A and E. How do someone convinced that "poorly designed" modifies BOTH nuclear power generation facilities and report" as a non-native?
MartyMurray wrote:

The above quote helps me to understand the real scenario of this hard question. But, how do someone convinced that the choice B indicates "Even though...."
Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Social Network:

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 03:53
AsadAbu wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
OA is really indigestible

if you just say this ^^, then it make sense, but the problem is in the following comment.

AdityaHongunti wrote:
@daagh, please comment on this.

The original poster is perfect scorer (most importantly, MartyMurray is an expert in this forum). If you mention other experts (or any other moderator) just to rectify the experts' post in this way, it looks awkward (somewhat NOT respectful way).

But, I can ensure you that you can mention any expert or moderator (whatever you like) as there is a option to mention anyone in the forum.
Thanks__

Even experts sometimes (not always) can make at least some error . I'm not saying this is question is wrong/right. The reason I asked daagh is because his validation is convincing for me. I meant no disrespect. I don't understand how you read English . "Please comment on this" means please have a look at it and present your opinion.

Now in what part of the world does - "please comment on this" mean disrespect. I respect every poster. But even the greatest tutors at magoosh and Manhattan come up with some odd question which MAY not reflect a GMAT standard (again i mean no disrespect) . daagh's explanation are convincing for me so I asked him I meant no disrespect towards Marty. And if he were offended , he would have responded.

Again - " please comment on this " in no world means disrespect.

Also daagh explained his point and he wasn't rude and that is why I asked him first if he was being rude. But he wasn't.

In future if you have any suggestion regarding whomsoever's behaviour , try to message them personally, there is an option available to PM. Please do not try to misinterpret my comment AND also lead others to think I meant what YOU think.

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 05:52
AsadAbu wrote:

Hey my honorable expert MartyMurray,
Your explanation is very clear to me, but I have still a query on A and E. How do someone convinced that "poorly designed" modifies BOTH nuclear power generation facilities and report" as a non-native?

To address your question about (A) and (E), let's consider the phrase in question.

the poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report

In that phrase, "nuclear power generation facilities" is a modifier that modifies "report".

"poorly designed" is also a modifier.

The issue is that both nuclear power generation facilities and reports can be poorly designed.

So, it's not clear whether "poorly designed" in this sentence modifies "nuclear power generation facilities" or "nuclear power generation facilities report."

To see the issue more clearly, consider what would happen if the modifier were one that could only modify "report," one such as "well written."

the well written nuclear power facilities report

Since we know that nuclear power facilities would not be well written, we can tell that "well written" in the above phrase must modify "report."

So, the reason that "poorly designed" in the original phrase could modify either "nuclear power generation facilities" or "nuclear power generation facilities report" is that there is no logic based clue that indicates that the modifier is meant to modify one or the other.

MartyMurray wrote:

The above quote helps me to understand the real scenario of this hard question. But, how do someone convinced that the choice B indicates "Even though...."
Thanks__

I think your best move in this case is to familiarize yourself with this structure. Here are some more examples.

As strong as Jim may be, I doubt he will be able to lift the car. (means that Jim may be rather strong, but I doubt he will be able to lift the car)

As much as the team members wanted to attend the event, they knew that they wouldn't because their schedule was already full. (means that, while the team members had a strong desire to attend, they knew that they wouldn't)

Responses in green above.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 13:17
MartyMurray wrote:
Responses in green above.

Heartfelt thanks with Kudos for your creative example that helps me to understand whole the scenario.

Social Network:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report &nbs [#permalink] 26 Nov 2018, 13:17

The poorly designed nuclear power generation facilities report

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap