It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Eart

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 40

The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Eart [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 07:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (00:49) correct 66% (00:45) wrong based on 538 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Earth, other nations, such as China and Japan, holding stores of US dollars that increase each year.

(A) other nations, such as China and Japan, holding
(B) and other nations, like China and Japan, holding
(C) with other nations, like China and Japan, holding
(D) other nations, like China and Japan, hold
(E) other nations, such as China and Japan, hold
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge
Re: The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Eart [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 11:59
Confused between A and E. Can someone explain?

My GMAT Debrief | ISB Interview 2015 ! | ISB Interview 2016

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 4

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [2], given: 40

The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Eart [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Revenge2014 wrote:

vs.
(D) other nations, such as China and Japan, hold

(D) Is illogical, as it lacks a conjunction between the two thoughts.

The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Earth, other nations, such as China and Japan, hold stores of US dollars that increase each year.

Shortening the sentence above...

The US has the largest trade deficit, other nations hold stores of US dollars.

^ That doesn't make sense. Two complete thoughts w/ only a comma doesn't work.

(A) Makes use of an absolute phrase.

Other nations holding stores of US dollars, the US has the largest trade deficit.

^ Makes sense when simplified and rearranged. One is a complete thought, the other is incomplete and uses a nonfinite verb.

The US has the largest trade deficit, other nations holding stores of US dollars.

^ Also makes sense... reads almost like a newspaper title :)

Last edited by iPen on 12 Jul 2015, 12:19, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 45 [2], given: 40

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Eart [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Revenge2014 wrote:

The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Earth, other nations, such as China and Japan, holding stores of US dollars that increase each year.

B , C and D are obviously wrong because both use like for citing examples.

Also note that usage of 'and' in B indicates that some new clause must follow but what follows is a something like a modifier.

Now A and E-

A- is the right answer because the noun-pronoun modifier is properly connected with the main clause.
E is wrong because it lacks a connector and comma is used to join two clauses.'other nations, such as China and Japan, hold .... ' is a complete clause and must be preceded by a connector such as 'and'.

I do not mind kUdos. :-D :-D

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 403

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 21:32
We use "such as" for actual examples.. so A and E are the only contender.

"holding" is a verb-ing modifier and hence has to modify the preceding clause..

So in A "holding" rightly modifies "such as China and Japan" since they are the ones holding the stores..

The clause before other nations ie. "The US....any country on Earth" is an independent clause and hence it has to have a connector or a verb-ing modifier in between to connect to the next dependent clause.. "hold....each year"

Hence A.

Regards,
Dom.

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5861 [0], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 21:48
iPen wrote:

hi,
i have two points on the question..
1) Don't the two separate clauses require something like "with" to join them ...
The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Earth, withother nations, such as China and Japan, holding stores of US dollars that increase each year.
2) yes , "such as " is the appropriate idiom and also the original emphasis on the " china and japan" as examples. but if the sentences tells us that other nations are holding on to the US dollars in similar way as china and japan have done, the usage of " like" is justified. Ofcourse "such as' is correct here.

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 22:05
Hi,

I think "with other nations" could be correct if a comma was present before "with". But yes a phrase connector is needed.. In C it is correct that way..

also if "like" was to be used the sentence should go like ...",with other nations, like China and Japan, which hold"...

The "which" will ensure that the second clause depends on "China and Japan" and hence the verb will become "hold" with emphasis on the "action of holding"...hence "like" will make sense in such case.

Regards,
Dom.

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 20:15
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

I think "with other nations" could be correct if a comma was present before "with". But yes a phrase connector is needed.. In C it is correct that way..

also if "like" was to be used the sentence should go like ...",with other nations, like China and Japan, which hold"...

The "which" will ensure that the second clause depends on "China and Japan" and hence the verb will become "hold" with emphasis on the "action of holding"...hence "like" will make sense in such case.

Regards,
Dom.

usage of whch will give a wrongly constructed sentence..
",with other nations, like China and Japan, which hold"

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 21:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Found this question discussed here..

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/absolute-p ... -the-gmat/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 00:39
Thanks for the explanation ..

B,C,D has 'like', so no second thoughts on it.

Comparing A & E. A looks better. Would prefer 'holding' than 'hold'.

Consider Kudos for my post, if it is helpful.
TIA

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 75

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 03:00

(A) other nations, such as China and Japan, holding>>
(B) and other nations, like China and Japan, holding >> like cannot introduce examples
(C) with other nations, like China and Japan, holding>> same with B
(D) other nations, like China and Japan, hold>>cannot be a independent clause
(E) other nations, such as China and Japan, hold>>same with D

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 75

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 04:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 07:54
(A) other nations, such as China and Japan, holding - CORRECT - use of absolute phrase "other nations, such as China and Japan, holding..."
(B) and other nations, like China and Japan, holding - WRONG to use "like" for examples, also second independent clause misses the verb
(C) with other nations, like China and Japan, holding - WRONG to use "like" for examples , Also - Preposition + noun + Modifier - not often preferred in GMAT - too much action jammed into an modifier
(D) other nations, like China and Japan, hold - WRONG to use "like" for example, Also second independent clause is RUN-ON
(E) other nations, such as China and Japan, hold - uses "such as" correctly, but second independent clause is RUN-ON

Answer (A)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 102

Re: The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Eart   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2017, 07:54

The United States has the largest trade deficit of any country on Eart

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap