GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 09:19
Senthil7 wrote:
Chetan i Disagree. Public transport can be anything ranging from railways to trams. I think the choice simply broadens the scope of the question which is in my view incorrect. Also public transport would be used to travel within their own city usually while the question stimulus mentions that this bus operates from one city to another city. I think this is not correct.


Yes, public transport could be train-service, bus-service or any other intercity service, implying that if a train service (or any other intercity service) is introduced from Creepia, it would attract passengers from Creepia. The same holds true even for bus-service. Thus the OE Chetan has posted seems logical to me.

Nonetheless to clear the bit of ambiguity, I would suggest to slightly modify option D as below:
D. The people of Creepia presently use private vehicles to travel to other cities due to limited means of public transport.
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7953
Re: There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 09:35
sayantanc2k wrote:
Senthil7 wrote:
Chetan i Disagree. Public transport can be anything ranging from railways to trams. I think the choice simply broadens the scope of the question which is in my view incorrect. Also public transport would be used to travel within their own city usually while the question stimulus mentions that this bus operates from one city to another city. I think this is not correct.


Yes, public transport could be train-service, bus-service or any other intercity service, implying that if a train service (or any other intercity service) is introduced from Creepia, it would attract passengers from Creepia. The same holds true even for bus-service. Thus the OE Chetan has posted seems logical to me.

Nonetheless to clear the bit of ambiguity, I would suggest to slightly modify option D as below:
D. The people of Creepia presently use private vehicles to travel to other cities due to limited means of public transport.


Yeah sayantan thanks, I too did mention in a reply to one of the members that may be by addition of words that you have mentioned in B and D, the OA becomes more prominent ....
Although I do believe in the same breath, that if it is not mentioned that shortage is within city or while traveling to other cities, it should mean overall in both within and outside
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Re: There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 06:59
I initially thought B was the best pick but on a second thought, I saw why D was the right choice. B tells us that there are VERY limited bus services...there could be several reasons why this is the case: 1) the routes from Creepia could not be a linking route to other parts of the Metropolis 2) the road network could be in a dismal state and hence, the VERY little service that remained, operate on the risk of ruining their cars and hence, the aim of making profit would be lost in repairs and so many other reasons.
In option D, the raised questions were satisfied by the singular act that they use their private cars as substitute for no bus services. This cancels all doubts of poor road network from Creepia to other towns, or bad road or safety problems of the roads etc. it leaves us with the option that probably there are more consumers and less commodity. So this guarantees income if there is a producer who has the commodity to give to the hungry consumers who are making use of a make-shift.
Hope I make sense....opppssss

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 207
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
Re: There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 11:17
Hello Guys, here's my take to the explaination to this question. Please let me know if there are any holes in my understanding.

• Amria and Banur are 50 miles away
• Travel one has non-stop service in morning from A to B
• Almost every day the bus remains filled till 90% ( remember almost every day)
○ The operator of Travel One intends to fill up the remaining 10% seats by making a halt enroute at Town Creepia ( conclusion) -> since this is the plan we have to strengthen
This is our conclusion that the operator intends to fill up the 10% seats by making halt at Creepia
• The Creepia is not too much far away from both towns
• People will not leave the bus in significants amounts at Creepia, bursting the numbers down further below 90%
A) This option does not support the argument. Even if there are reasons or no reasons we don't get a clear intention that the operator will meet the plan
B) This can be true. We can hold it for a while
a. But if bus services are there, though limited, the chances are there that the bus will not be able to fill 10% of the seats
C) This will weaken the argument. If it halts at Creepia, the other passengers would not choose this bus
D) This tells us that people of Creepia use private transport and hence they can use public transport
a. Remember there is a difference between B and D
i. B says that the bus services are limited
ii. Here it is limited + additional people using private transport.
iii. Tell now, what Is better? In D we know that there are people who are using private transport
iv. In B if the contenders were X, In D the contenders will be X+Y and hence it is better than option B
E) The objective of the operator is to fill 10% of the seats, the revenue is out of context here
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jun 2017
Posts: 231
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Re: There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 08:07
D over B . Took 3 minutes :(

Reasin of rejecting B : What if Population in Town C is very less or there is no demand. In that case Bus would just be any ohter alternate and hence , this does not ensure 10% incrfeasse in capacity.

D, on the other hand creates necessitates such increase in capacity.
_________________
Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!

GMAT 1 - 620 .... Disappointed for 6 months. Im back Im back. Bhai dera tera COMEBACK !!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2017
Posts: 76
Location: India
Schools: HBS '22
Re: There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 05:31
adiagr wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus service, Travel-One, has a non-stop bus service in the morning from Armia to Banur. Almost every day the bus remains filled to 90% of its capacity. The operator of Travel-One intends to fill up these 10% seats by making a halt enroute at Town Creepia.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen the operator’s plan the most?
1) There are no additional expenditure incurred in terms of fuel and other resources due to the stoppage.
2) There are very limited bus services available at Creepia.
3) The passengers using the bus service presently use it because of non-stop service.
4) The people of Creepia presently use private vehicles due to limited means of public transport.
5) Travel-One generally operates its bus service keeping the revenue as a priority.


OA and OE after some discussion


(A) It strengthens the argument, but is not the best reason. Out
(B) This strengthens the argument. But does not tell whether there is enough demand.
(C) This actually weakens the argument.
(D) This showcases that there is a demand and therefore is the best option.
(E) This is premise booster. Out.

(D) is the best choice.


Yes, but the demand is for public transportation, nor private. For all we know there might be end number of other private buses applying.
_________________
"You don't want to to look back and know you could've done better".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 05:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are two cities Armia and Banur, 50 miles away. A premium Bus ser

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne