Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: ISB '23 (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q167 V150
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GRE 1: Q159 V159
Send PM
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi! I was wondering if someone could evaluate my profile.

A medical doctor by background;
80% on the 12th. Score enough to get into med school.
Undergrad in India MBBS: 3.92/4.0 - Gold Medallist
Started my career as a medical resident in oncology in Apollo Hospitals in India for 6 months before pursuing a research masters in regenerative medicine.
MSc in University College London - Nanotechnology and Regenerative Medicine GPA 3.8/4.0
Worked as a research assistant in UCL School of Pharmacy to creating a novel antibiotic for treatment - the antibiotic is currently in phase 2 trials. However, I am no longer involved in this. There is an embargo on any publication regarding this due to ongoing trials. My completed thesis is with the school nonetheless.
During the same master's program, co-founded a spin-off for manufacturing novel urinary catheters and was accepted in an accelerator program. The company is continued by Kings College Medical Students while I remain in a medical consulting role.
Further to this, I was awarded a medical fellowship by the University Hospital Southampton Trust to rotate across Emergency Medicine, Cardiology, Respiratory Medicine and Acute Medicine. Was working in the emergency department in the UK when COVID hit. Was a member of the COVID emergency relief team and part of the team to establish guidelines for COVID triage guidelines for the West of England which was later adopted by other hospitals in the surrounding region. I have also completed patient communication audits to improve patient's understanding of their medical issues.
During the same period, passed exams and interviews and gained internal medicine resident (ranked in the top 5% among 3500 candidates) at the University of Cambridge, Addenbrookes Hospitals. As part of the program, I worked across Palliative Care, Acute Medicine, Respiratory Medicine and Transplant Medicine while treating COVID patients during COVID shifts.

The turmoil during the pandemic and my out-of-medicine experiences always drove me to pursue something regarding management to create an impact at scale. So, I have taken a year off from my residency program from Aug 2021 take a break from the hectic schedule and am preparing for GRE at the moment. My mock scores range from 315 to 322 currently and I have 22 days left for the exam.

Meanwhile, I am working as an engagement manager at Impact Consulting and have completed marketing strategy and consulting for a medical devices company.

Given my atypical background and non-existent quantitative math for the last 10 years since I began to pursue medicine, is there a good chance to get admitted into Tuck?

Total work experience: 4 years and 6 months. If I were to include my role at Impact Consulting, it would be 5 years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Would love to know my chances at Tuck and open to suggestions on schools I should target for R2.

Personal Details: 25 M (Indian)

Academic:

GRE- 336 ( Q-170, V-166)
B.E. (Electrical Engineering) from IIT Delhi (Top Engineering College in India) - 7.7/10
WE - 4 years at the time of intake

Professional:

Worked 1.5 years straight out of college at Samsung R&D
- Worked as a software engineer to develop bluetooth systems.
- Picked up cross-functional tasks to work with teams across engineering, vendors and project managers

Working for the past 2 years at Goldman Sachs Bengaluru office as a software analyst
- Worked with multiple stakeholders across divisons to remediate operational risks of electronic trading systems.

Extra-curriculars:

- Was part of University field hockey and dance teams which won several competitions
- Also held leadership position in Dance club
- Was a manager at a student run NGO, handling a 3-tier team of 40+ volunteers across colleges in Delhi.

Post MBA goal : Work as a PM at a BigTech firm.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Hi, it would be great to receive an evaluation of my profile. Will be applying in R2 for the full-time MBA program, Intake 2022. Thank you!

Background and nationality : Indian, Female, 26 YO
Education:
Undergraduation : B.Com from University of Madras (Overall percentage : 73.26%)
Professional Certification : Chartered Accountant (Passed all exams in the first attempt)
GMAT:740 [Q49, V41, IR8, AWA5]
Work experience and leadership:
A. (4 years from 2017-2021) - Manager - Business tax advisory services at Big4 Firm
Lead and manage teams to provide tax advisory and implementation services to clients on strategic corporate actions and M&As, assist clients to effectively navigate the tax and regulatory landscape and optimise tax outflows, and defend tax claims in litigation. Maintain a book of business and develop relationships with clients. Responsible for the career progression and development of team members.
Received multiple awards and been promoted on fast track (Made manager in 3 years as opposed to average of 4 years). Been a part of high impact projects and led high performing teams.

B. CA Articleship (3 years from 2014-2017) - Big4 Firm
Responsible for performing statutory and tax audits for various MNCs, understanding financial statement processes, identifying risks and associated controls and performing analytical procedures. Responsible for leading 2-3 member teams during the 3rd year of internship. Received 2 Awards for outstanding performance.

Community and others

1.Tax tutor for coaching & mentoring of 80+ CA students, at an institution whose main aim was to highly subsidise fees to permit students from all sections of society to afford this. (Nov 2017-Mar 2019)
2. Private CA tutor to US High school student who wanted to pursue Indian CA(Jun 2017-Jun 2019)
3. Team member of initiative to connect high school students with working professionals globally to help students make informed career decisions. (Feb 2019-Feb 2020)
4. Class representative in First semester of college
5. Part of core organising committee for office cultural events.
6. School pupil leader, school topper, All India 3rd rank in Class XII CBSE.

Post MBA goals
Short term - To broaden my area of expertise from tax consulting to management consulting, and help companies across verticals overcome a wide range of operational and strategic challenges
Long term - To become a strategic decision maker at a large organisation, leveraging skills learnt at my management consulting role.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Ross '24 (WA)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I am planning to apply for 2year Stem MBA ( specialization in consulting/finance ) in US [Round 2]. I’m reapplicant at Duke, Ross, and, Cornell

Short term MBA goal : work as a consultant with firms, such as Mckinsey or BCG, and help global financial institutions solve strategic & operational issues.
Long term MBA Goal : To build a technology-driven banking option for India’s marginalized that merges the conveniences of Neo-banks with attributes of traditional banks.

About my profile:-
I am 29 year old Male from Mumbai, India. [ Nationality : Indian ]

Educational Qualification:-
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), CFA Institute (Virginia, USA) - Cleared all levels in 1st attempt, Top quartile in 9 out of 10 subjects
Chartered Accountancy (CPA Equivalent), ICAI (Delhi, India) - Cleared all levels in 1st attempt, Top 5% amongst 43,000 students
Bachelor of Commerce, HR College of Commerce and Economics (Mumbai, India) - Secured First Distinction with a cumulative grade of 80%

GMAT Score :- 740 ( Q50 V41 )

Work Experience:-
I worked at Drip Capital INC (US based Fintech Startup) as Senior Finance manager from Dec’18 - present ( 2 years & 11 months ) - got one promotion
I worked at ITC Limited as Assistant Finance Manager from Nov’15 – Dec’18 ( 3 years & 1 months )
Total years of experience : 6 years ( as of today )
While entering MBA : 6.6 years

Achievements & Participation :-
At Drip Capital INC
• First hire in the finance department; Conceptualized financial management and regulatory processes across USA, Mexico, and India, and built a 5-member core team
• Spearheaded financial due diligence for Series-B funding of $25M led by Sequoia Capital and Accel and collaborated with US-based capital market team for securing first banking line of credit of $40M
• Ideated and convinced the founder on reorganization of business operations for better tax efficiency and delivered tax savings of $400,000 on y-o-y basis

AT ITC Limited
• Steered a 5-member team to evaluate and implement major impact points of new indirect tax regime on 20 projects operating across 15 states of India, effectively regulating yearly tax benefit of $14M
• Customized and automated information workflow in SAP software, an improvement unique across both ITC and SAP India, Augmented compliance and reduced manual reconciliation by 200+ manhours on y-o-y basis
• Key member of core team; Collaborated on yearly budgeting and quarterly variance analysis of capital expenditure across operational turnkey projects worth $850M
• Mentored 10+ member core team having average experience of 10 years; Enhanced their productivity, 4 of them got promoted

Outside Work
• Avid trekker - Trekked across South India and the Himalayas, Volunteer at local trekking club
• I have undertaken multiple pro bono engagements, wherein I helped fellow CA students/graduates with their study plans, career projections, general advisory, etc.
I want to maximise the chances of my selection. Kindly advise I should apply to which Top 20 US based B-school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
I'm applying in R2 and need some advice on which colleges to target as per my profile.

In brief-

Scores: GMAT - 740, IELTS - 7

Class X - 79.5% (ICSE)
Class XII - 93.7% (MPC)
UG - 64.5% (B.A in History and Political Science, St Stephen's College)

Work: 3yrs 7Months as Digital Marketing Executive.

Have Excellent Leadership Experience in College compared to recent years!

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
YoungTiger wrote:
I'm applying in R2 and need some advice on which colleges to target as per my profile.

In brief-

Class X - 79.5% (ICSE)
Class XII - 93.7% (MPC)

So what is the question you are asking?
Also, FYI, B-schools outside India don't ask for your school results
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi YoungTiger,

Your GMAT score is good and will help you compensate for your undergrad GPA. On the work front, you didn’t share much here. I would like to know the roles and responsibilities you have undertaken, impact you brought, leadership, and so on to find out your USPs. What are your post-mba goals? They are crucial while shortlisting b-schools for you. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further chances to b-schools. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Profile Analyst & Channel Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

YoungTiger wrote:

In brief-

Class X - 79.5% (ICSE)
Class XII - 93.7% (MPC)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q158 V155

GRE 2: Q163 V159

GRE 3: Q163 V159
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Undergrad: Top 20 university in India, 7.4/10 - Top 20% of class
GMAT: 760
Work Experience:
7 Years- India's Largest Financial Services Group and Bank (Public Sector/ Govt )

Post MBA Career:
Continue in my current organization

extra curricular:
Lead a NGO for 3 years
Taught underprivileged / Rural kids - 2 years
Was part of a NGO that supported low income group families during COVID-19
My job required me to work in Rural places to uplift villages - Was closely associated with the local village govts post office hours

essays: strong ( i guess)
letters of rec: will be extremely strong
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
vamkrispk wrote:
Undergrad: Top 20 university in India, 7.4/10 - Top 20% of class
GMAT: 760
Work Experience:
7 Years- India's Largest Financial Services Group and Bank (Public Sector/ Govt )

Post MBA Career:
Continue in my current organization

extra curricular:
Lead a NGO for 3 years
Taught underprivileged / Rural kids - 2 years
Was part of a NGO that supported low income group families during COVID-19
My job required me to work in Rural places to uplift villages - Was closely associated with the local village govts post office hours

essays: strong ( i guess)
letters of rec: will be extremely strong

Hello vamkrispk,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

You have a very good GMAT score and some differentiating experience considering you led an NGO and have worked in rural areas. A lot will now depend on how you showcase your career progression, leadership experiences, and achievements alongside your need for an MBA (considering you wish to continue in the same company, "why you wish to do an MBA" becomes an obvious question). If your essays are going to be strong, you will definitely have a high chance of getting an interview call.

Having said the above, we do hope you are looking at applying to a few other US top ~15 schools in order to spread the risk appropriately.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Background and nationality : Indian Male IT (Innovation with ML/AI)
Undergrad Information :Tier 1 Top 10 Indian college, GPA - 3
GMAT: 750 (Q50,V41) AWA6 IR7
Work experience and leadership : Innovation department of a Big IT firm. 3 years, couple of promotions, mentored over 100 students with 40+ innovative projects. Delivered products for healthcare and retail clients. Lead teams of 10+ people. Worked directly with CTOs and Directors.
Community and others : Involved with a few NGOs which work towards eradication of Poverty and illiteracy. Cycling club. Cricket and volleyball teams in college.
Post MBA goals : Tech Management

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Age - 28
Gender - Male
Nationality – American

Education – B.S in Economics from Texas A&M (3.6 GPA), M.S. in Economics from Texas A&M (3.6 GPA), CFA Charterholder
GPA - Undergrad was a 3.6 as well as my Graduate Degree
GMAT1: 690 (Q50, V34)

Work experience –
6 Years Army National Guard, 2 state deployments
1 Year as a Capital Markets Analyst
3 Years as an MBS Trader
1 Year as an Investment Strategist for a small start-up RIA
Currently a Senior Financial Analyst supporting a bank's Treasury component with ALM modeling and Data Science capabilities, avid Python & R programmer

Extracurricular-
- (4 years) - Corps of Cadets Senior Military College, various fundraisers, military events, etc.
- (2 years) - Academic tutor for military cadets at Texas A&M
- (2 years) - Junior Achievement volunteer where I teach personal finance & professional development classes to high school students
- (2 years) - Avid skydiver with over 100 solo skydives to my name

Plans for after school-
- Transition into Private Equity or Consulting

Why Tuck:
Emphasis on consulting which is a viable option given my finance & technology background
Tight knit community / environment which is an environment I have done well in the past with.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
tahoehigh wrote:
Age - 28
Gender - Male
Nationality – American

Education – B.S in Economics from Texas A&M (3.6 GPA), M.S. in Economics from Texas A&M (3.6 GPA), CFA Charterholder

Work experience –
3 Years as an MBS Trader
Currently a Senior Financial Analyst supporting a bank's Treasury component with ALM modeling and Data Science capabilities, avid Python & R programmer

Extracurricular-
- (4 years) - Corps of Cadets Senior Military College, various fundraisers, military events, etc.
- (2 years) - Junior Achievement volunteer where I teach personal finance & professional development classes to high school students

Plans for after school-

Why Tuck:
Emphasis on consulting which is a viable option given my finance & technology background
Tight knit community / environment which is an environment I have done well in the past with.

Hi,

IT would be nice to understand the time line for your work and ECA experiences. For example, I didn't quite understand how much is your total work experience

Coming to your profile, you definitely have an interesting profile managing two parallel ( i assume so) and very varied careers. It can speak a lot in terms of acquiring transferable skills (technical and leadership) that will make you a great fit for any career you plan post MBA.

Tuck does indeed sound a good choice given the consulting career goal. PE- well, Tuck has minuscule placements in PE, which frankly would be very difficult to break into after any b-school. This affords you an opportunity to research deeper into your career goals and understand what path is more achievable after your work experience and the MBA.

Your community activities are great and are centred around mentorship and coaching. Tuck really values ECA involvement, as is evident from the substantial space they provide to list these in the application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi everyone!

Please share your thoughts on my profile.

Demography:
29-year-old Indian Male

Education:
Undergrad
- Bachelor in Engineering: Computer Science. Visveshwaraya Technological University, India (2011-2015)
- Grade: 69% Aggregate. 1st Class
- Got a full-ride merit scholarship for 4 years of engineering as I come from a low-income background and scored more than 90% in 12th standard (Physics: 89, Chemistry: 93, Maths: 91)
Graduation
- Masters of Science: Computer Science. University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland (2017-2018)
- Grade: 2.1 . First Class
- Got a scholarship of 4000 euros for educational excellence in engineering

GMAT:
760 (Q50-V42-IR:8-AWA:4)

Current Role:
Senior Software Engineer
-Design, develop and maintain enterprise-level software applications

Work Experience:
Dublin, Ireland (4 years)
-Worked for an Investment Management firm as the lead software developer to build in-house technology products
-Contributed to the design-development-testing and production phases of an enterprise-level Trade-Order Management System with a team of 4 international software developers
-The system effectively manages more than $600 million per month in transactions and handles more than $200 million on a single day during portfolio rebalancing

Bangalore, India (2 years)
-Worked for a Management Consulting firm as a Decision Scientist
-Worked with multiple fortune 500 clients to provide data-driven insights and actionable recommendations

Extracurriculars:
Captain of the University Volleyball Team (2012- 2015)
-Led the team to win our first state-level tournament in 9 years
-Won various regional tournaments across Karnataka, India
Trekked the Himalayas (2017)
-After 3 months of intense training, trekked to Roopkund, Himalayas
-This expedition was with a team of 20 people, ascending from 7000 feet on day 0 to reaching 16,000 feet on day 9
Active Tennis player
-Won the club championship for doubles and the most improved player of the year award in 2019

Languages:
-English
-Hindi
-Kannada

Post-MBA Goal:
-short-term: Switch from tech to consulting, get into MBB. Ideally continue to stay in the finance and tech space
-long-term: Work in strategy roles/ leadership positions in mid-sized fin-tech firms

LOR:
- Strong letter from my current CEO

Target Schools:
Havard, Booth, Kellog, Tuck, Columbia, LBS, INSEAD

Strengths:
- 4 years of international experience. Living in Dublin, worked mostly with the Irish and the germans
- Worked on niche investment tech products. Quant and tech-heavy.
- Wore multiple hats in terms of working with Traders, Brokers, external lawyers, international software developers, and data vendors
- Implemented multiple software from whiteboard to live environments

Weakness:
- Mostly worked in small teams. Haven't led teams of size 10 or more professionally.
- Relatively less exposure in terms of presenting to / convincing stakeholders.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Expert Reply
NextGenNerd wrote:
Hi everyone!

Please share your thoughts on my profile.

Demography:
29-year-old Indian Male

Education:
Undergrad
- Bachelor in Engineering: Computer Science. Visveshwaraya Technological University, India (2011-2015)
- Grade: 69% Aggregate. 1st Class
- Got a full-ride merit scholarship for 4 years of engineering as I come from a low-income background and scored more than 90% in 12th standard (Physics: 89, Chemistry: 93, Maths: 91)
Graduation
- Masters of Science: Computer Science. University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland (2017-2018)
- Grade: 2.1 . First Class
- Got a scholarship of 4000 euros for educational excellence in engineering

GMAT:
760 (Q50-V42-IR:8-AWA:4)

Current Role:
Senior Software Engineer
-Design, develop and maintain enterprise-level software applications

Work Experience:
Dublin, Ireland (4 years)
-Worked for an Investment Management firm as the lead software developer to build in-house technology products
-Contributed to the design-development-testing and production phases of an enterprise-level Trade-Order Management System with a team of 4 international software developers
-The system effectively manages more than $600 million per month in transactions and handles more than $200 million on a single day during portfolio rebalancing

Bangalore, India (2 years)
-Worked for a Management Consulting firm as a Decision Scientist
-Worked with multiple fortune 500 clients to provide data-driven insights and actionable recommendations

Extracurriculars:
Captain of the University Volleyball Team (2012- 2015)
-Led the team to win our first state-level tournament in 9 years
-Won various regional tournaments across Karnataka, India
Trekked the Himalayas (2017)
-After 3 months of intense training, trekked to Roopkund, Himalayas
-This expedition was with a team of 20 people, ascending from 7000 feet on day 0 to reaching 16,000 feet on day 9
Active Tennis player
-Won the club championship for doubles and the most improved player of the year award in 2019

Languages:
-English
-Hindi
-Kannada

Post-MBA Goal:
-short-term: Switch from tech to consulting, get into MBB. Ideally continue to stay in the finance and tech space
-long-term: Work in strategy roles/ leadership positions in mid-sized fin-tech firms

LOR:
- Strong letter from my current CEO

Target Schools:
Havard, Booth, Kellog, Tuck, Columbia, LBS, INSEAD

Strengths:
- 4 years of international experience. Living in Dublin, worked mostly with the Irish and the germans
- Worked on niche investment tech products. Quant and tech-heavy.
- Wore multiple hats in terms of working with Traders, Brokers, external lawyers, international software developers, and data vendors
- Implemented multiple software from whiteboard to live environments

Weakness:
- Mostly worked in small teams. Haven't led teams of size 10 or more professionally.
- Relatively less exposure in terms of presenting to / convincing stakeholders.

Hey NextGenNerd

You have a good profile, with a full-ride merit scholarship in undergrad and international exposure from Ireland. This gives you a very strong point. Your LOR is another plus. 69 is a decent GPA, not great, but it’s not bad either.

You get brownie points for the experience because you've worked for an Irish company and led four people. Since it's a tech role, you can again demonstrate efficiency, tat improvements and quantify everything.

In the second company that is based out of Bangalore, you need to basically dig deeper into the roles there. As a decision scientist, you're used to solving problems, so you can show how you get things done. You can talk about the projects or the clients you were working for.

Extracurriculars are fine, but you can avoid mixing them with hobbies because schools want impactful points. If you've led a team, mention how many people you led and what you did in Ireland. They should be quantifiable. Most of your extracurriculars are from 2012, 2015, and 2017, so include something more recent. It could be NGO volunteering.

Courses and certifications, which schools value, are missing. If you haven't taken anything, go for strategy or problem-solving if you want to go into MBB and consulting.

Out of the target schools that you’ve mentioned, Harvard is a dream school due to its low acceptance rate.

I'll recommend 3 dream schools which you can target:

1. LBS
2. INSEAD
3. TUCK
4. Kellogg

Some schools that align with your profile:

1. HEC
2. ESCP
3. ESSEC
4. Oxford
5. Imperial

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 29 Dec 2022, 03:52.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Expert Reply
tahoehigh wrote:
Age - 28
Gender - Male
Nationality – American

Work experience –
3 Years as an MBS Trader

Extracurricular-

Plans for after school-

Why Tuck:

Hey tahoehigh,

So first of all, your GPA is outstanding as anything above 3.5 is excellent, especially if you have a brand like Texas A&M in your undergrad. Secondly, you being a CFA holder showcases your inclination towards finance. You can actually use this certification to showcase how exactly you eat and sleep finance.

You have diverse work experience, and it will be beneficial for you to quantify that and what exactly you've done differently than the others, or how you will be linking it to business.

You can talk about certain international clients if you had any because most of the schools you would be targeting here will really like the international exposure.

Now coming to your extracurriculars. Definitely, that has been consistent in your profile. Again, you can add the number of people you have, what initiatives you've taken. For example, how much funds you have raised.

Since your goal is to enter into private equity and consulting, Tuck is definitely a good option, but it has an average GMAT score of like a 700+. It's not a huge deal breaker with 690, but only if you're targeting Round 3s, since the Round 2s are already over. If you want to, then you can retake the exam in and aim for a 720+.

Other than Tuck, I will recommend these schools for your profile:

1. NYU Stern
2. Duke
3. Cornell
4. UCLA

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 03 Jan 2023, 05:57.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey tahoehigh,

Thanks for sharing your profile

To begin with, 690 is a decent score. I would suggest trying to improve your score by at least 20 points. However, with this vast experience, I am pretty sure that you will have a lot of interesting stories to tell the AdComs. Being a CFA charter holder will add additional points and also help your profile stand out.

The key selling point of your application should be your 11+ years (correct me if I am wrong here) of vivid work experience. Different roles across various sectors add diversity to your profile. As a result, it is now vital for you to show that you have had a substantial impact throughout your time at work. You must also highlight the instances where you were in a leadership role and helped your organization through challenging circumstances. Additionally, emphasize your professional development and career progression. Also, any global experience will be a cherry on the cake as AdComs consider international exposure as a crucial component of an application.

You have some interesting ECs like tutoring military cadets to raising fundraisers. All of this could be a major boost if you highlight the challenges faced, the roles and responsibilities you worked upon and the impact created by your end. Moreover, skydiving will help you start interesting conversations with the AdComs. You must distinguish yourself from the applicant pool by demonstrating to the school that your collaboration with them will be beneficial to both you and the business school.

Coming to your post-MBA goals, PE and Consulting seems too generic. Try dividing them into short and long term goals. It is evident on your part about your research of the business school (Tuck). Your school selection reason will help you answer the AdComs on ‘Why Tuck?’ question. Tuck is one of the best finance research schools in the United States. Tuck's admissions committee is aware of the quantitative rigor of its MBA program. As a result, you must include it in your apps. Meanwhile, I suggest you go through our article on How to frame practical post MBA goals essays?, you will get some beneficial insights!

Overall your profile seems good, but we would like to know more to gauge your chances better. It all depends on how you connect the dots and create a compelling story around it. Hence, if you’d like, we are happy to get on a call with you to discuss your profile in length and further chances to the schools. Feel free to schedule a call with us at your convenience.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

tahoehigh wrote:
Age - 28
Gender - Male
Nationality – American

Work experience –
3 Years as an MBS Trader

Extracurricular-

Plans for after school-

Why Tuck:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Would love some evaluation for my future MBA applications! Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality:
White german male

Undergrad information:
MSc and BSc in physics at the same major engineering-focussed german university (RWTH/ TUM/ KIT)
- MSc in Physics (1.5 german / 3.5 US GPA)
- BSc in Physics (1.8 german / 3.2 US GPA)
- Scholar of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes during the whole studies

GMAT:
not yet done

Work experience and leadership:
Will join a tier 2 strategy consulting firm (Strategy&/ ATKearny/ Oliver Wyman) as an associate this summer.
Previously:
- interned at a Fortune Global 500 (top ten) inhouse consulting firm
- interned at a university in the middle east as a sort of teaching assistant for physics and some engineering (more riding camels than real work)
- interned at a german boutique consulting firm (a few hundred employees)
- student assistant at a Big 4 and some more less relevant

Community and others:
- Secretary and board member at a service club (think of youth organizations from Rotary/ Lions)
- Working group member at a political think tank on transatlantic relations
- Selection committee member at Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- Deputy Chairman of the german conservative party youth organization in my high school town
- Chairman at my student fraternity (mostly fencing stuff and drinking beers)

Post MBA goals:
Stay two more years at my firm (or another firm buys me out of my sponsorship). Afterwards very interested in transition for some years into PE/VC or IBD, also strategy consulting at an MBB. A highly responsible role in corporate strategy/development is the goal in the long term.

Anything else?
Plan to do the GMAT and try to apply as soon as possible to start the MBA after two (or three) years at my firm (to hopefully benefit from the firm's sponsorship).

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
Stanford and Tuck Moderator
57 posts
Tuck School Moderator
127 posts