Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
RUCHIPCONSULTING

Can you please advice me on which areas to work on so that my profile is suitable for TUCK?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,
I would like my profile to be evaluated for Tuck. Following are my details:

Background and nationality: Indian, Male, Engineer, 29 years

Undergrad Information: University of Mumbai, 68%

GMAT: 760 (Q50, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
Total 7 years, 5 years in a data analytics startup (3 promos - Data Scientist, Lead, Analytics Manager, Associate), 2 years Operations in leading Tech company (FAANG) (1 promo - Associate, Program Manager)- Over 3 years of international work experience, currently working in Singapore. Multiple business visits to Philippines, US, and Dublin

Data Analytics work experience:
[*]Among top 5% employees to be promoted for client leadership, working in a client liaison role in Singapore
[*]Optimized the trade-based money laundering process of Singapore’s leading bank’s operations team, reducing workload by 60%
[*]Led 10-member team to help category buyers of a leading US retailer make informed decisions based on product performance and customer preference; project led to annual savings of $500M
[*]Awarded two ‘Spot Awards’ (top 10% performers) showcasing self-drive, going the extra mile for tasks beyond deliverables, and being the team’s torch bearer
[*]Awarded ‘Impact award’ (awarded to top 5% performers) for enabling success of the engagement, developing good client relations, mentoring multiple folks over time, and contributing to both organization and account-level initiatives

FAANG work experience:
[*]Led business continuity planning, collaborating with 10 teams across Product, Engineering and Operations in US, Ireland and Singapore to enable work from home operations of 3,000 vendor workforce during COVID pandemic
[*]Led projects to change the existing operations processes, reducing operational spend by $500K
[*]Led effort to improve KPIs of operations team, improving quality as a KPI by 25%
[*]Redesigned workstream setup, improving the review accuracy by 10% and realizing $1M in savings

Community / EC:
[*]Led college’s student chapter of NSS, an organization of over 160 volunteers engaging in community service
[*]Conducted community service camps to villages, teaching basic math to kids and engaging in farming activities
[*]Volunteer of a non-profit group aimed at improving welfare of underprivileged children; conducted educational sessions for children of age groups 8-10 years, financially supporting their education till date
[*]Represented and won medals for department athletics team at intra college sports festivals
[*]Hobbies: Playing football: represented Facebook Singapore at corporate indoor football championship
[*]Travel: Visited 15 countries, enjoying landscape photography and adventure sports such as skydiving and scuba diving. Started Photography club at my company, conducting classes and doing photography trails with 20 other enthusiasts

Post MBA goals

Short Term
[*]To pivot from operations to Product management at a tech company

Long Term
[*]I intend to solve the problem of misinformation on technology platforms through creating my own venture (How is my current work ex relevant? - Currently a program manager, responsible for ensuring safe and trusted connections between people, businesses, and the company by maintaining its integrity through content moderation of its commercial listings / ads. )

Thanks in advance.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Advait08 wrote:
Hi,
I would like my profile to be evaluated for Tuck. Following are my details:

Background and nationality: Indian, Male, Engineer, 29 years

Undergrad Information: University of Mumbai, 68%

GMAT: 760 (Q50, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
Total 7 years, 5 years in a data analytics startup (3 promos - Data Scientist, Lead, Analytics Manager, Associate), 2 years Operations in leading Tech company (FAANG) (1 promo - Associate, Program Manager)- Over 3 years of international work experience, currently working in Singapore. Multiple business visits to Philippines, US, and Dublin

Data Analytics work experience:
[*]Among top 5% employees to be promoted for client leadership, working in a client liaison role in Singapore
[*]Optimized the trade-based money laundering process of Singapore’s leading bank’s operations team, reducing workload by 60%
[*]Led 10-member team to help category buyers of a leading US retailer make informed decisions based on product performance and customer preference; project led to annual savings of $500M
[*]Awarded two ‘Spot Awards’ (top 10% performers) showcasing self-drive, going the extra mile for tasks beyond deliverables, and being the team’s torch bearer
[*]Awarded ‘Impact award’ (awarded to top 5% performers) for enabling success of the engagement, developing good client relations, mentoring multiple folks over time, and contributing to both organization and account-level initiatives

FAANG work experience:
[*]Led business continuity planning, collaborating with 10 teams across Product, Engineering and Operations in US, Ireland and Singapore to enable work from home operations of 3,000 vendor workforce during COVID pandemic
[*]Led projects to change the existing operations processes, reducing operational spend by $500K
[*]Led effort to improve KPIs of operations team, improving quality as a KPI by 25%
[*]Redesigned workstream setup, improving the review accuracy by 10% and realizing $1M in savings

Community / EC:
[*]Led college’s student chapter of NSS, an organization of over 160 volunteers engaging in community service
[*]Conducted community service camps to villages, teaching basic math to kids and engaging in farming activities
[*]Volunteer of a non-profit group aimed at improving welfare of underprivileged children; conducted educational sessions for children of age groups 8-10 years, financially supporting their education till date
[*]Represented and won medals for department athletics team at intra college sports festivals
[*]Hobbies: Playing football: represented Facebook Singapore at corporate indoor football championship
[*]Travel: Visited 15 countries, enjoying landscape photography and adventure sports such as skydiving and scuba diving. Started Photography club at my company, conducting classes and doing photography trails with 20 other enthusiasts

Post MBA goals

Short Term
[*]To pivot from operations to Product management at a tech company

Long Term
[*]I intend to solve the problem of misinformation on technology platforms through creating my own venture (How is my current work ex relevant? - Currently a program manager, responsible for ensuring safe and trusted connections between people, businesses, and the company by maintaining its integrity through content moderation of its commercial listings / ads. )

Thanks in advance.

Hi Advait,

You have some solid things going for your profile.
1. great GMAT score
2. International experience. Work with teams in several countries.
3. You've done well at work- see achievements, career progress and recognition at both the companies, and that's always a great thing when you start to build your resume.

You have some ECAs but I don't see anything recent from the time that you have been working.

Your goals are ok for the short term. For long term, IMO they sound a little narrow. The problem you wish to address is existing. why should you wait another 8-10 years to solve it? That's not very convincing to me.

I'd be happy to discuss further. You can reach out to me at contact@mbadecoder.com
Also, feel free to attend a webinar I am hosting today on two important topics:

1. How to differentiate yourself when applying from an over-represented applicant pool
2. How to get into management consulting after business school

Date: Friday, 20th November, 2020
Time: 8 PM- 9 PM IST
You can register Here

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
a

Originally posted by Schopenhauer on 21 Dec 2020, 13:18.
Last edited by Schopenhauer on 05 Apr 2022, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Schopenhauer wrote:
Background and nationality: Black, Latino, Asian, Caucasian
Age - 25
Gender - Male
Education – Political Science with Economics minor from Top 14 undergrad
GPA - 2.9
GMAT: 730
Work experience and leadership: Current Healthcare Market Research Analyst focused on biotech/therapeutics drug development and health policy space, member of Catholic organization Knights of Columbus, volunteer for Meals on Wheels, volunteered for JDRF in college, member of fraternity
Extracurricular- Student Body Vice President, Senator, Christian Group Leader, Debate Team Member
Post MBA goals: Healthcare consulting short term, work at biotech hedge fund/PE firm long term
Anything else: Diagnosed with cancer before college affecting GPA, diagnosis led to interest in healthcare causing involvement in healthcare internships in college and eventual healthcare work today. Interested in furthering my healthcare work beyond current role and believe an MBA can achieve that. Also featured in major news publication and national news for successful cryptocurrency investments during 2017-2018 bitcoin boom, unsure how to include that in application yet though.

HI,

Nice work experience backed by a strong personal story. And the goals sound reasonable.
I hope you are applying to other MBA programs as well, because there are some with a great Healthcare program offering, Tuck included :).

The crypto experience can be mentioned in the resume. If there's a story behind it that is relevant for the application, it could be part of an essay- its hard to say without knowing more about it.

Your ECA is substantial. Just make sure you are able to show depth in commitment to these causes. As there are several associations you are part of, you could highlight only those in the resume where you have done substantial work.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE:Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Background:
White Male (US Citizen)
Age 28
GMAT 760 (Q49, V44)

Industry: Business Planning Analyst at a publicly-traded telecom company.

Education:
B.A. in Economics/Public Policy, 3.4, from a small liberal arts college. I have some Cs and two Ds. I plan to explain that I am more mature now than I was in my late teens/early twenties, and I now work hard to succeed even when something is challenging (will relate to WE and Python certificate program that I will mention below).

Work Experience:
Total 5 years (3 years at a back office corporate finance position, previous 2 years at other less senior corporate finance positions at other companies).

Main accomplishments include automating various aspects of my job and improving financial models and decks that go before c-level executives. My first job out of college was actually selling insurance, and I took 150+ hours of CE coursework and worked really hard to get to where I am now.

Extracurriculars – Stand Up Comedy (took a class and performed at two amateur shows in front of 100+ people), non-credit diploma in Python programming from NYU SPS, chess (played for years, took a break from 2015-2020, but resumed tournaments right before COVID), volunteering at a soup kitchen. In college, I was the founder and president of the chess club.

Post MBA Goal: Management consulting in NYC.

Basically, I want to know if I have a plausible shot at Tuck. I think I can make a compelling case for my WE, even if it's hardly riveting. My UG performance is definitely a weakness, although the my GPA is only slightly below their average and is offset by a strong GMAT. Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Schopenhauer wrote:
Age - 25
Gender - Male
GPA - 2.9
Work experience and leadership: Current Healthcare Market Research Analyst focused on biotech/therapeutics drug development and health policy space, member of Catholic organization Knights of Columbus, volunteer for Meals on Wheels, volunteered for JDRF in college, member of fraternity
Extracurricular- Student Body Vice President, Senator, Christian Group Leader, Debate Team Member
Post MBA goals: Healthcare consulting short term, work at biotech hedge fund/PE firm long term
Anything else: Diagnosed with cancer before college affecting GPA, diagnosis led to interest in healthcare causing involvement in healthcare internships in college and eventual healthcare work today. Interested in furthering my healthcare work beyond current role and believe an MBA can achieve that. Also featured in major news publication and national news for successful cryptocurrency investments during 2017-2018 bitcoin boom, unsure how to include that in application yet though.

Hey Schopenhauer!

Commencing your profile evaluation with your academic background, I would say that you have quite an interesting background. Coming from a political science degree, you can definitely contribute immensely towards the diversity of the cohort. As for your GPA, a score of 2.9 despite battling cancer proves your strong academic prowess which is further authenticated by your GMAT score of 730 that should allow you to target most of the top schools across the globe.

Coming on to your practical experience, your experience as a healthcare analyst adds relevant and quality work experience to your profile. You haven’t mentioned the name of your company so I can’t comment on the relevance of the brand name. However, you must be cognizant of the fact that the brand name definitely plays a major role in an application as you’d be competing with applicants from the top schools and big4 companies. To negate the lack of big brand names, talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created, and your career progression with major learning takeaways would definitely showcase the quality of your work and establish you as no less than a big4 candidate.

Furthermore, it’s great to see that you have a plethora of extracurricular activities in your profile. Your experience as the VP of the student body council adds leadership experience to your profile. Your work as the senator and debate team member displays your exemplary communication skills and on the other hand, your several volunteering activities highlight not only your empathy but your caliber to utilize your skills to make a positive impact on society.

You haven’t mentioned any sort of preference in terms of schools and countries you wish to target for the MBA program so giving any sort of recommendations would not be fruitful. Moreover, due to the lack of information on the number of work experience you have under your belt, I cannot be gauging the competitiveness of your profile for an MBA program. That said, I would recommend you to take up a FREE profile evaluation by clicking on the link below which would provide you with a personalized list of schools based on your profile along with your chances of acceptance into their programs.

Link for the FREE Profile Evaluation:

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation

Hope this helped!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GRE 1: Q160 V157
Send PM
Hi all,
I would appreciate an honest opinion about suitability of my profile for Tuck . Thank you!

Background:
31 Years, Male, Chilean
GRE: V157 Q160 (317)

Graduation- B. Com (Honors) from Universidad de Chile (ranked 1 in Chile)

Work Experience:
Business Development first at a FCMG (SC Johnson), where I got promoted from Semi Senior to Sr level Analyst. Changed to a Sr level Business Development position at Mercado Pago, the fintech division of Mercado Libre, which is currently latin america's largest tech company (NSE: MELI). Portfolio sales growth of over 200% .

Extra-curriculars and volunteer experience: Local Committee President of a student-based NGO for 2 years during college, plus treasurer for my office's employee association (volunteer to do it)

Post MBA goals: Short term - Payment industry, sales strategy (Amex, Paypal)
Long term – Leading product and sales strategy for a fintech that works on easing access to finnancial products in Lat.Am

Please provide feedback on suitability. I applied for R2 .
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Schopenhauer,

Your profile is very attractive and genuinely backed by qualitative values. Your passion and interest in healthcare is backed by your past. I insist you to provide me more information in terms of work-ex duration, breakdown of GMAT score, any other hobbies and interests. These things will help me to make a more informed evaluation and suggest any other colleges.

Talking in general about your profile, your GPA is well positioned against the class average of 720. Your community engagement and involvements at undergrad level are very noteworthy. As Tuck emphasizes personal achievements separately, your victory over Cancer and Bitcoin investments sure deserve a space in your application.

I personally believe you have a very strong application. A genuine interest in the Healthcare sector and an MBA at Tuck will sure help you become a better leader. I request you to showcase any instances from your past professional or personal experiences when you step up in a leadership position to handle a crisis or a big problem.

Don’t hesitate to connect with us for any help or support. We can have a quick discussion on your application strategy and a better understanding of schools you should be targeting along with Tuck.

Regards,
Regards,
Shantanu Sharma
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

Schopenhauer wrote:
Age - 25
Gender - Male
GPA - 2.9
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi mc93,

You have a very impressive profile with an eye-popping GMAT score. Admittedly, your academics are weak. Though you don’t have very distinguished work-ex, but I do believe you have a shot at Tuck and other good b-schools in the US. What I see is a profile of a person who has strived to improve his career over time.

Tuck looks for values such as intellect, curiosity, engagement, impactfulness, high-achievers, principled, awareness, ambitious, and collaborative. Your GMAT score and efforts towards improving your career very-well highlight your intellect, curiosity and ambitions. You’ll have to bring out leadership instances from your personal or professional life when you took charge in the face of any uncertainty and crisis. Alongside, also try to highlight scenarios to call attention to your present career progression. I mean, if your performance has been better than your peers or any fast promotions.

Your Chess expertise brings out counterfactual thinking as your skill which is valued in the business world. The fact you’ve done shows so much that you are adaptable and have good communication skills. The fact that you were president of Chess Club highlights that you must have developed leadership skills at an early age. You'll have to make sure to support your post-MBA goals with proper explanation. You'll have to prove whether you have requisite exposure, knowledge and exposure to get into Management Consulting post-MBA.

All these deserve proper space in your application. We have had admits in the past in different schools who had below average GMAT scores or lacked big names on their profiles. More important is how you submit an application that compensates well for your weaknesses.

Feel free to connect with us for any help or support. We can have a quick discussion around your application strategy and talk in detail about other b-schools which you should be targeting as well.

Regards,
Shantanu Sharma
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Testimonials

mc93 wrote:
Background:
White Male (US Citizen)
Age 28
GMAT 760 (Q49, V44)

Industry: Business Planning Analyst at a publicly-traded telecom company.

Education:
B.A. in Economics/Public Policy, 3.4, from a small liberal arts college. I have some Cs and two Ds. I plan to explain that I am more mature now than I was in my late teens/early twenties, and I now work hard to succeed even when something is challenging (will relate to WE and Python certificate program that I will mention below).

Work Experience:
Total 5 years (3 years at a back office corporate finance position, previous 2 years at other less senior corporate finance positions at other companies).

Main accomplishments include automating various aspects of my job and improving financial models and decks that go before c-level executives. My first job out of college was actually selling insurance, and I took 150+ hours of CE coursework and worked really hard to get to where I am now.

Extracurriculars – Stand Up Comedy (took a class and performed at two amateur shows in front of 100+ people), non-credit diploma in Python programming from NYU SPS, chess (played for years, took a break from 2015-2020, but resumed tournaments right before COVID), volunteering at a soup kitchen. In college, I was the founder and president of the chess club.

Post MBA Goal: Management consulting in NYC.

Basically, I want to know if I have a plausible shot at Tuck. I think I can make a compelling case for my WE, even if it's hardly riveting. My UG performance is definitely a weakness, although the my GPA is only slightly below their average and is offset by a strong GMAT. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Plan to apply for Tuck next year for Fall 2023 intake. Appreciate evaluation of my profile, the possibility of Tuck, and any general advice on what I can do to improve my profile in the next 1.5 years, thanks!

Nationality & Gender:
Chinese Male with an HK passport

Education background
School: top 3 University at HK with a bachelor degree in finance
GPA: 3.7 / 4.3, first-class honors
GMAT: not taken yet, target 730+ and ideally 750+

Work experience:
3 years front office capital markets role (think DCM/ECM) at a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank when applying next year. 4 years by matriculation

EC:
Led a student society at college and have some good achievements (championships in some local competitions)

Post MBA goal:
Short-term: Top management consulting (M/B/B) in China
Long-term: Investment / corporate strategy in China

Strength and weakness of my profile based on my own understanding:
Strength: solid academic and working experience. Clear career goal
Weakness:
1. Lack of community service experience. Long hours at work (80 hours/week) + COVID make it challenging to do this... Shall I try to find some community service opportunities in the next 1.5 years?
2. Difficult to differentiate myself from other candidates in the same pool (Asian finance males)
3. Lack of leadership experience at work. Though our bank emphasizes teamwork, juniors' works at the capital markets team are usually process-driven... quite difficult to think of an example that like a consultant junior can put on their resume like how their works improve client's sales by X%. The best leadership experience I can think of at work is step up and led the team to solve a critical issue caused by a mistake by another teammate (the deal could end up bust if this issue had not been solved). I have a lot to say about my leadership experience at student society at college though.

What I like about Tuck
• Strong community culture in the small size class and bond between alumni (me personally also love and feeling of strong bond between alumni. Enjoy providing advice when alumni approaching me)
• Strong career service resources and good placement into MBB
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sakamotoLC,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Well, you have already mentioned various aspects of your profile and it is good to see that you are very much clear about your profile's strengths and weaknesses. To clear the clutter, let me tell you first the aspects on which Tuck evaluates the candidate's profile.

1) Academics: Tuck wants the candidate to have outstanding academic credentials and competitive standardized test score. Your undergrad GPA is up to the mark and along with your targeted GMAT score, it will definitely help you fulfil this criterion.

2) Notable Career: A resume that outlines notable professional experience. Your work experience seems good and you will need to exhibit your leadership experience (as you have mentioned solving critical issues) in an impactful way. This will put forth leadership attributes in your application.

3) Global Exposure: Tuck emphasizes very much on global exposure. Try to include some diverse experience in your work profile and a global outlook to your long-term goals.

4) Interpersonal skills: Teamwork, communications skills, personality conveyed via interview, essays and LORs. You will need to create a good narrative linking all these skills in your profile. Build a story in person rather than on paper.

Overall, you have a decent profile for Tuck, try to work on the 3rd and the 4th point, and dig deeper into your work experience to figure out the impact that you have created on your organisation that contributes to its growth and development. Also, if you are pursuing any hobbies then it's well and good, but if not, find something that you like to do beyond your work. It will exhibit your diverse personality.

Hope this helps :) Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials

sakamotoLC wrote:
Hi,

Plan to apply for Tuck next year for Fall 2023 intake. Appreciate evaluation of my profile, the possibility of Tuck, and any general advice on what I can do to improve my profile in the next 1.5 years, thanks!

Nationality & Gender:

Education background

Work experience:
3 years front office capital markets role (think DCM/ECM) at a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank when applying next year. 4 years by matriculation

EC:
Led a student society at college and have some good achievements (championships in some local competitions)

Post MBA goal:

Weakness:
1. Lack of community service experience. Long hours at work (80 hours/week) + COVID make it challenging to do this... Shall I try to find some community service opportunities in the next 1.5 years?
2. Difficult to differentiate myself from other candidates in the same pool (Asian finance males)
3. Lack of leadership experience at work. Though our bank emphasizes teamwork, juniors' works at the capital markets team are usually process-driven... quite difficult to think of an example that like a consultant junior can put on their resume like how their works improve client's sales by X%. The best leadership experience I can think of at work is step up and led the team to solve a critical issue caused by a mistake by another teammate (the deal could end up bust if this issue had not been solved). I have a lot to say about my leadership experience at student society at college though.

What I like about Tuck
• Strong community culture in the small size class and bond between alumni (me personally also love and feeling of strong bond between alumni. Enjoy providing advice when alumni approaching me)
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
sakamotoLC wrote:
Hi,

Nationality & Gender:

Education background

Work experience:

EC:

Post MBA goal:

Weakness:

What I like about Tuck

Hello sakamotoLC,

Thank you for sharing. It is great to see that you have broken down your strengths and weaknesses and specifically articulated what you like about Tuck. This will be very useful once you begin working on your applications!

Strengthening your community service and leadership experiences will be a great way to further differentiate yourself from other candidates in the same pool. Since you plan to apply for 2023 intake, you are in a great position to begin building a strong track record of leadership and involvement.

Given your time frame and current profile gaps, you would be a great fit for our early planning services. Personal MBA can help you plan ahead to make all of the right decisions in the time leading up to your applications (our early planning clients have stellar success rates ultimately getting accepted and getting scholarships).

Feel free to reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com to learn more.

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GRE 1: Q161 V155
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Background and nationality
Come from a small town in the south and am a white male, first generation college student

Undergrad Information
Tier 2 state school and studied accounting with a 3.6 GPA
Also got a MS Finance at a Tier 1 state school (think UNC, U of Mich, U of Texas at Austin, etc.) with a 3.5 GPA

GMAT:
1st Try: 620 (V: 37 / Q:39)

Work experience and leadership
Worked full time as an accountant and consultant to small businesses throughout undergrad while attending school full time
1 year in equity research at middle market investment bank (think Raymond James, Blair, etc.)
2.5 years in M&A investment banking at a small boutique firm in Chicago
Was hired by a former client who took a CFO job at a public company to come in as a "utility player". Title is officially in Investor Relation but the role is really Corporate Strategy

Community and others
Volunteer consultant to small businesses under the national organization SCORE
Selected by my company to be a "Venture Fellow" at a Venture Capital firm that our company invests in as an LP so I'm working with the VC shop's leadership team to help them assess VC opportunities in the industry I work in

Undergrad Leadership
Vice President Accounting Society
Leader of Elite Leadership group (~5% of university is accepted to this group) on campus
Vice President of Business Constituency Council (group of undergrad students that acted as an intermediary between the students and the Dean to enact change across the business school)

Post MBA goals
Management Consulting
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Background:
Indian Engineer Male. (There, I said it)

Undergrad:
Computer Science Engineering with Hons and a minor in Economics from IIIT-Delhi (Not a top tier institute but very well respected in CS community)
CGPA: 8.24
Leadership and Extra-curriculars:
1) Dean's List Award for Leadership and Social Work
2) Dean's List Award for Research and Development
3) Secretary, Student Council & Student Convenor for Placements
4) Sponsorship Head, Tech Fest & Treasurer, Cultural Fest
5) Head of the Photography Club and the Media Panel

GMAT: 740 (Q50, V39)

Work Experience:
Began my professional career with Goldman Sachs in the Securities Division as a member of the technical staff.
Currently an Associate in the same team.
Multiple promotions in the last 3 years.
Have handled multiple projects aimed at revenue growth, risk mediation, and workflow improvement.

Community work:
During undergrad, was part of an NGO through which I organized collection drives for old clothes and usable items to donate across orphanages and slums in and around New Delhi
Have been an active part of an organization that organizes Langar (Community Kitchen/ Free food) drives across different parts of the city (New Delhi)
Have been a mentor to few students from the Asian University for Women, Bangladesh (During Covid)
Have been a mentor to freshmen year students at IIIT-Delhi (Alma mater)

Post MBA goals:
Tech consulting or Product Management (preferably in an IT company)
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
asbaj wrote:
Background:
Indian Engineer Male. (There, I said it)

Undergrad:
Computer Science Engineering with Hons and a minor in Economics from IIIT-Delhi (Not a top tier institute but very well respected in CS community)
CGPA: 8.24
Leadership and Extra-curriculars:
1) Dean's List Award for Leadership and Social Work
2) Dean's List Award for Research and Development
3) Secretary, Student Council & Student Convenor for Placements
4) Sponsorship Head, Tech Fest & Treasurer, Cultural Fest
5) Head of the Photography Club and the Media Panel

GMAT: 740 (Q50, V39)

Work Experience:
Began my professional career with Goldman Sachs in the Securities Division as a member of the technical staff.
Currently an Associate in the same team.
Multiple promotions in the last 3 years.
Have handled multiple projects aimed at revenue growth, risk mediation, and workflow improvement.

Community work:
During undergrad, was part of an NGO through which I organized collection drives for old clothes and usable items to donate across orphanages and slums in and around New Delhi
Have been an active part of an organization that organizes Langar (Community Kitchen/ Free food) drives across different parts of the city (New Delhi)
Have been a mentor to few students from the Asian University for Women, Bangladesh (During Covid)
Have been a mentor to freshmen year students at IIIT-Delhi (Alma mater)

Post MBA goals:
Tech consulting or Product Management (preferably in an IT company)

Hello asbaj and thank you for sharing!

As an Indian male engineer, you come from a very competitive set of applicants, as you know. That said, you have a lot of good things going on your profile. Your GMAT is solid, as is your work experience and extracurriculars.

A lot will come down to figuring out how to differentiate yourself in the applicant pool. The most successful candidates craft unique and compelling personal stories. This is a large component of Personal MBA Coach’s support and the area where we find our clients need the most guidance. Take a look at our comprehensive services to learn more about story development and other key areas that we target to help clients successfully navigate the application process.

If you start early and have a strong set of essays, you will have a good shot at Tuck (though Personal MBA Coach recommends applying to 5 to 7 schools to maximize your chances of acceptance).

Should you like to discuss your situation in more depth, don't hesitate to reach out at scott@personalmbacoach.com.

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hey, There!
Background and nationality
My name is Vinay, and I'm from Bangalore, India. I would be applying for my MBA request some input on my selection of universities. I've added the details of my profile as briefly as I could. My shortlist of colleges is given at the bottom of the comment. I'm also wondering if I should apply to universities, some advice from you.

GRE
- 330 (V-157; Q-170; AWA- 3)

Undergraduate

Completed my Bachelors of Business Administration from Alliance University, Bangalore in Finance with an aggregate of 81.5% ( First Class with Distinction) Top 5% of the class. With a GPA of 3.3/4.

Work Experience
Four of Years work-ex, with the deep domain of equity research and valuation.
-Equity Research Analyst at Sarthak Returns ( June 5th, 2017 – Date ) – Sarthak Returns a Stock Market Advisory Company based in Bangalore. Responsibilities here include
- Technical Analysis, Fundamental Analysis, Equity Research, Proprietary trading, Handling client's accounts, Blog writing.Was Handling a team of 3 people directly reporting.
- I had three promotions in the last four years
- I Handle four people, teams, where they report to me directly.
- I handle and manage clients directly.

Certifications

NSE Academy's Certified Investment Analyst Champion (NCIAC) & NCMP Level 3
NISM-Series-VIII: Equity Derivatives Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-A: Investment Adviser (Level 1) Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-B: Investment Adviser (Level 2) Certification Examination
NISM Series-XV: Research Analyst Certification Examination

Extra-Curricular Activities:

• Volunteer with Youth for Seva ( July 1st, 2016 – September 30th, 2016 ), a Non-Governmental Organisation. The work involved teaching Spoken English and Basic Computer Skills to Primary and Middle School children. This continues till date in a Part-time effect, with overall service time over **Five Hundred Hours**.
• Organised “Mock Stock,” a stock market simulator, in an inter-college event.
•Co-Founded a start-up in the college days - Started with the platform-based company for travel (Air and Bus) with Hotel booking. What improved it based on blind spots; I started renting out textbooks. That rented out students' old books and paid them a share of the earnings, thereby enabling students to make money off books they do not need.
•Co-Founded a niche-based stock research firm meanwhile I was working as an equity research analyst. The firm employs 15 people directly reporting. The firm name is Valuenomics Research
• Have pursued Young Leadership program from Indian Institute of Management Bangalore; the program was for the one-year duration with blend learning from both online and offline.

Post MBA goals
Short Term
Work for Asset Management Company

Long Term
Become Fund Manager in Asset Management Company

Hobbies
I am reading Books, Playing badminton, Networking with people who aren't like me at all.

Please evaluate my profile; I'd love to hear your thoughts about my profile?

**UNIVERSITY SHORTLIST**

**Ambitious**
- NYU – MBA
- Cornell -MBA
- Tuck- MBA
- Duke -MBA
- ISB - MBA

**Conservative**
- Simon -MBA
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
Stanford and Tuck Moderator
57 posts
Tuck School Moderator
127 posts