GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 01:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2019, 20:02
egmat wrote:
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
I was struck between D and E.

But chose D :(

In E, to subject - infinitive form did n't sound right to me.

Need expert's input.

Thanks

Hello hellosanthosh2k2,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt or not, but here is the explanation anyways. :-)

Choice D has a very prominent error. The noun modifier that modifies the preceding entity 15 years. This modification is absolutely non-sensical because 15 years has not subjected anyone to anything.

Now let's talk about Choice E. There is no issue with the usage of to subject in this choice.

The sentence intends to say that some satellites are part of a 15-year effort. What is the purpose of this effort? The purpose is to subject or bring the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

Hence, use of to subject to present the purpose of an action is absolutely correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Payal
Thanks to Payal and other experts for detailed explanations. I needed help with one doubt when it comes to D. Although the first glance at D implies that the second "that" refers to "15 years" but on taking a closer look, isn't 15 years part of a prepositional phrase and thus "that" can refer back correctly to "effort" as "effort" and "15 years" are singluar and plural respectively so antecedent of that is decided by the singular verb - has after "that" and is thereby unambiguous.

Also, please clarify is there any other issue with option C apart from 1) 15 years and 2) are interacting - implying interactions are hapeening right now while such is not the case.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2019, 23:03
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

There are a couple of small problems with (A). First, we have a subject-verb agreement issue at the beginning of the underlined portion, but it’s a little bit tricky: “the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is part of 15 years effort…” You could argue that the phrase “that is part” modifies the singular noun “one of the many new satellites”, but I don’t think that’s quite right: ALL of the satellites ARE part of the effort, so we need a plural verb.

And then we have some minor idiom issues. For starters, the phrase “15 years effort” isn’t quite right. I guess it would be better if “years” was possessive, but even then, it’s odd. And it would make much more sense to call it a “15-year effort.”

Plus, it also makes more sense to say “an effort to subject the interactions… to scrutiny”, not “an effort of subjecting…”

So we have lots of reasons to ditch (A).

Quote:
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact

(B) has a similar subject-verb agreement problem as (A): “…one of the many satellites, which is part of…” Again, that doesn’t make much sense, since ALL of the satellites are part of the effort, so we need a plural verb.

And this is a very minor thing, but I don’t love the use of “which” here in general. Modifiers beginning with “which” are non-essential modifiers, meaning that the modifier isn’t strictly necessary for us to grasp the meaning of the sentence. But I think we DO need the modifier (“that are part of a 15-year effort…”) in order to understand exactly which satellites we’re talking about.

I don’t think that the difference between “which” (non-essential modifier) and “that” (essential modifier) has ever been the deciding factor on an official SC question, but it gives us an extra reason to get rid of (B).

Quote:
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting

As in (B), there’s a subtle problem with a non-essential modifier: “…one of the many new satellites, part of 15 years effort…” That’s not WRONG, exactly, but it turns the description of the satellites into an incidental, non-essential modifier. It makes more sense to say “… one of the many new satellites THAT are part of a 15-year effort…”

And just like in (A), we have that goofy little phrases “15 years effort” and “effort of subjecting.” See the explanation of (A) for more on these two issues.

Finally, there’s no good reason for the verb tense at the end of the underlined portion: “are interacting” (present progressive tense, if you’re a fan of grammar jargon) emphasizes the fact that the interactions are happening right now, and there’s no real reason to do that. As we’ll see in a moment, there are more elegant ways to phrase this without using an unnecessarily complex verb tense.

So (C) is out.

Let’s line up the last two side-by-side to make it easier to see the differences:

Quote:
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

There aren’t tons of differences between these last two. In (D), we have “an effort for 15 years”, and that’s nowhere near as elegant as the phrase used in (E), “a 15-year effort.” That’s not a dealbreaker, but it gives us a small reason to prefer (E).

But the other issue is the way the end of the underlined portion is phrased. Let’s strip these down a bit:

(D) “… an effort… that has subjected the interactions… to scrutiny from space.”
    (E) “… an effort… to subject the interactions… to scrutiny from space.”

I think we’d all agree that (E) is more clear and succinct than (D) in this part of the sentence. It’s not that (D) is necessarily WRONG, but we have two decent reasons to think that (E) is better than (D). So (E) is our answer.

I agree with your analysis of B. I also think that, "which" in this case actually turns the rest of the sentence into modifier. After reading B, one is left asking "what about the AM-1?"
P
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 03:10
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect sentence fragment
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting

look at above problem from og.
noun to do or noun doing is the point of idiom and meaning

in choice e of our problem, 'to subject' work as appositive of 'effort". we can say that effort to do is idiom. effort can not perform the action presented by "to do", " to subject".

for some noun, only "noun to do " exist. for other nouns, both "noun to do" and " noun doing" exist. both "law to do" and "law doing" exist.

law to learn english is good
law requiring students to learn English is good

we have 2 different meanings here.
in the first sentence, law to learn is the law for someone to learn english. this law is about which persons can learn English or which persons can teach english.
in the second sentence, law requiring is the law which require something. the requiring action is done by the law.

so, "effort that subject" is non sense because effort can not subject. effort can not do the action of subjecting. this is not logic in the real world.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 09:54
chunjuwu wrote:
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

(A) satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

(B) satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact

(C) satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting

(D) satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

(E) satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 218: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: [url=http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=GMAT-Question-of-the-day&loc=en_US]E-mail[/ur
l] | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

is vs Are

A ,B ,C : Eliminated
D & E : E is more concise
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 22:56
One of the X (plural) who/that + plural verb (always)

Or alternatively :

One of the X (plural) + Singular verb (is)

e.g. One of the girls is stinky.

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 08:47
"the" only One of the Xs that/who <singular>
shouldn't it be "are" rather than "is"? (the AM-1 is one of the x's that <singular> that/who)

@daag Can you please help me on this :/
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2019, 01:30
daagh wrote:
@Lola: Should you really rush to reveal the answers? It takes the entire charm away. Your doubts will any way be cleared wholesomely. You have to be just patient. There are so many others who have lot of things to learn from such wonderful questions.

First of all a small note on the style of using a hyphenated adjective such as ‘a 15 – year effort’. It is never correct to say - 'a 15 - years effort' or 'a 15 years effort'. It has to be always 'a 15- year effort' (note the singular use). Other examples are - he is a six-foot tall man; two-mile long road etc., etc.

By this token alone, I will remove A and C, notwithstanding other errors in these two choices.

Relative pronouns such as ‘that’ and ‘which’ can not flout 'the touch - rule' and refer to something far distant. In the context, ‘that’ has necessarily to refer to 'satellites' and hence the corresponding verb has to be the plural ‘are’.So B is also out. The choice is now between D and E.

D suffers from two errors. The essence of the effort is to carry out a purpose, which is best expressed by using an infinitive ‘to subject’, rather than by the present perfect’ has subjected’. In addition, what does the pronoun ‘that’ refer to? As such, it refers to 15 years and is erroneous. It should refer to the “effort.’

HI,
I got confused between B and E because I read somewhere and have seen certain examples where which does not refer to its immidiate word WHICH follows.
So I thought what if Which here is reffering to AM1 then... IS A PART OF A... should be correct.
Plz clarify so that I don't repeat this mistake.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 22:27
egmat wrote:
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
I was struck between D and E.

But chose D :(

In E, to subject - infinitive form did n't sound right to me.

Need expert's input.

Thanks

Hello hellosanthosh2k2,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt or not, but here is the explanation anyways. :-)

Choice D has a very prominent error. The noun modifier that modifies the preceding entity 15 years. This modification is absolutely non-sensical because 15 years has not subjected anyone to anything.

Now let's talk about Choice E. There is no issue with the usage of to subject in this choice.

The sentence intends to say that some satellites are part of a 15-year effort. What is the purpose of this effort? The purpose is to subject or bring the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

Hence, use of to subject to present the purpose of an action is absolutely correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

that can refer to 'effort for 15 years' instead of '15 years' right....in that case 'that' usage is correct....is my understanding clear on 'that' usage or am i missing a point?

using infinitive gives edge to E over D...but i just need some clarification on 'that' usage in the D option...please provide some help regarding this.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2019, 22:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics