It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2016
Posts: 33
UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 06:59
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I am currently working for a high profile investment bank as an analyst, but I have been offered a high paying job near UCLA at a much lower profile financial group. At the same time, I got accepted to the full time MBA program at Tepper. I also got accepted to Paul Merage and waitlisted to USC but I figured you guys would tell me to go to Tepper over Paul Merage.

Would you rather...

1. Take the higher paying job at the lower tier firm and go to the FEMBA program at UCLA. Effectively lowering the cost of my MBA since I would still be working.

2. Stay at my current job and attend Tepper in the fall. Obviously the most expensive option since Tepper is not cheap and I would be at a lower paying job in the mean time.

3. Take the higher paying job and leave after 4-5 months and go to Tepper

My goal with an MBA is to transition out of traditional finance and merge the gap between technology and business. Whether this is in VC or as a product manager. Entrepreneurship is always an option as well.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts!

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Last edited by pipark11 on 16 Mar 2017, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 67
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 07:51
option 3. =)
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3092
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 08:23
pipark11 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I am currently working for a high profile investment bank as an analyst, but I have been offered a high paying job near UCLA at a much lower profile financial group. At the same time, I got accepted to the full time MBA program at Tepper. I also got accepted to Paul Merage and waitlisted to USC but I figured you guys would tell me to go to Tepper over Paul Merage.

Would you rather...

1. Take the higher paying job at the lower tier firm and go to the FEMBA program at UCLA. Effectively lowering the cost of my MBA since I would still be working.

2. Stay at my current job and attend Tepper in the fall. Obviously the most expensive option since Tepper is not cheap and I would be at a lower paying job in the mean time.

3. Take the higher paying job and leave after 4-5 months and go to Tepper

My goal with an MBA is to transition out of traditional finance and merge the gap between technology and business. Whether this is in VC or as a product manager. Entrepreneurship is always an option as well.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Option 3 with no doubt. :)
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?


How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2016
Posts: 33
Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 10:31
abhimahna wrote:
pipark11 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I am currently working for a high profile investment bank as an analyst, but I have been offered a high paying job near UCLA at a much lower profile financial group. At the same time, I got accepted to the full time MBA program at Tepper. I also got accepted to Paul Merage and waitlisted to USC but I figured you guys would tell me to go to Tepper over Paul Merage.

Would you rather...

1. Take the higher paying job at the lower tier firm and go to the FEMBA program at UCLA. Effectively lowering the cost of my MBA since I would still be working.

2. Stay at my current job and attend Tepper in the fall. Obviously the most expensive option since Tepper is not cheap and I would be at a lower paying job in the mean time.

3. Take the higher paying job and leave after 4-5 months and go to Tepper

My goal with an MBA is to transition out of traditional finance and merge the gap between technology and business. Whether this is in VC or as a product manager. Entrepreneurship is always an option as well.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Option 3 with no doubt. :)


Is it concerning that the new job would be in my resume for less than a year? Will hiring managers look at that negatively at all?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 67
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 11:02
no. you can tell employers that you wanted to try something different and more challenging before working on b-school. heck you might like it so much that you don't want to go to b-school and postpone it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2016
Posts: 33
Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 13:28
bkhu wrote:
no. you can tell employers that you wanted to try something different and more challenging before working on b-school. heck you might like it so much that you don't want to go to b-school and postpone it.


Any drawbacks to FEMBA vs FTMBA?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2644
Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 14:02
I would go with Option 3 here I don't think recruiters will care too much about your short time at that firm. It will be clear you went to b-school and you were looking for different experience
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3092
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 22:07
pipark11 wrote:
bkhu wrote:
no. you can tell employers that you wanted to try something different and more challenging before working on b-school. heck you might like it so much that you don't want to go to b-school and postpone it.


Any drawbacks to FEMBA vs FTMBA?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


No, there won't be any drawback. It's better to earn as much as you could before you go for MBA. :-D
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?


How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Re: UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2017, 22:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

UCLA FEMBA vs Tepper FTMBA

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.