GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UNC vs. Emory ($) vs. Cornell (Potentially)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
UNC vs. Emory ($) vs. Cornell (Potentially)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 20:11
Hi GmatClubers,

With deposit deadlines coming up, I really need your advice/insights into which school is best for my goals, and is more enjoyable and a better fit given my background. I'd greatly appreciate your help!

About me:
26, male, working and living in the U.S.
~3 years WE in the commercial banking industry
Hoping to move into investment banking/investment management, with corporate finance as a back-up (i.e. at somewhere like Amazon).

I've been accepted to UNC (no scholarships), Emory (with $), and still waiting on a decision from Cornell (Do I still have a shot at Cornell at this point?)
Originally, my goal was to enroll at the highest ranked school that I could get into. However, UNC and Emory are so closely ranked, I'm really having a tough decision. I've yet to visit Atlanta and Chapel Hill (although I've visited Charlotte before and enjoyed the vibe there). I'm probably only able to attend only one of the admit weekends. If I were to receive an offer from Cornell in the coming weeks, I'd probably elect that option. However, let's roll with Cornell not being in the picture for the time being.

Moreover, I'm looking at potentially working on the west coast as an option. Other that that, I'm location agnostic. This could also be a deciding factor.

My Thoughts:

UNC:
A little bit higher ranked than Emory.
Have had great interactions with UNC students thus far. They've been really helpful and engaged in my decision process.
Big alumni network
Big state school - football games, school spirit,
Lower average starting salary than Emory (Although for IB it's fairly similar)
Seems to place well for IB in NY
Cheaper cost of living
Regional

Emory:
Stronger average starting salary numbers (like I mentioned above, for IB, it's similar to UNC). However, in the case I don't get into IB, could be an advantage.
Atlanta is a bigger city - more things to do, easier to network etc.
Have a few friends/acquaintances in the greater Atlanta region
Even more regional than UNC (to me at least)
Similar IB placement stats as UNC.
Big Plus: Scholarship money. Although the amount isn't great, something is still better than nothing.

I was thinking of going to UNC for the longest time. However, given that the two schools are so similarly ranked and that Emory gave me a little bit of scholarship, I'm slowly shifting to Emory..I've asked UNC to reconsider me for a fellowship but they've yet to respond.

Any advice/insights/thoughts would greatly help as I'm still stuck in a precarious position. I'd greatly appreciate the help!!!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: UNC vs. Emory ($) vs. Cornell (Potentially)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 22:33
Congratulations! Two great admits.

I would probably pick Emory. I have been hearing a bit of negativity about UNC and on campus recruiting.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 09:15
bb wrote:
Congratulations! Two great admits.

I would probably pick Emory. I have been hearing a bit of negativity about UNC and on campus recruiting.

Thanks for the response BB.

It seems to me like most recruiting efforts is driven by the student anyway (or the clubs on campus)? What have you heard of the Emory career management office that makes it stand out more than UNC's?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 09:23
Also, should I ask for more scholarship on the Emory side to tip the scale a little bit more?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 23:17
Just curious, any other responses or suggestions?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 23:54
Emory and UNC are at the same level in reputation and opportunities. Why would you leave money at Emory and go for something which is exactly the same. It's like buying the same white shirt and paying 20% more.

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
UNC vs. Emory ($) vs. Cornell (Potentially)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 02:57
Hey wallstreetmonkey7 ,

Without a second thought, come to Emory ;)

This is what my consultant told me when I asked her the question "Emory vs UNC"

I mean, Emory (the overall university) has a strong brand reputation as one of the best universities in the South East, so in terms of brand reputation amongst Americans, Emory has the best brand reputation out of any school on your list (including UNC). I was actually shocked to see that UNC’s ranking for MBA is higher than Emory, since Emory is regarded in general as being a better school?

So, it seems to me that Emory appears to have a super high post-graduation employment rate and if you’re interested in trying consulting, they send a higher percentage of people to that field?

Also, in terms of location, Atlanta is a more cosmopolitan city. In fact, they may have just elected an African-American mayor.

All the best :)

P.S: If you are not a part of our WhatsApp group, feel free to join us here.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 11:48
Here is another vote for Emory :-)

You can read my comment here about UNC career service : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ross-vs-tepp ... 61894.html

IN case you stick by UNC, maybe the situation is different and you need to check with them your career aspiration. From many students there in Emory, the career service is willing to work with you as they can to achieve your dream. They give directions and try to connect you. Being in big city is plus for you in term of corps and accessibility through Atlanta Airport (Raleigh-Durham airport is not bad though).
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 12:32
I appreciate the responses guys/gals. They've certainly provided new perspectives.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 11:41
Best you email the clubs for each school or ask down the grapevine on which companies target for OCR. I can tell you UNC's larger class size means it is attracting more OCR and will help you when job searching.

Looks like we are in the same boat, best of luck this week.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 11:54
Apply2020 wrote:
Best you email the clubs for each school or ask down the grapevine on which companies target for OCR. I can tell you UNC's larger class size means it is attracting more OCR and will help you when job searching.

Looks like we are in the same boat, best of luck this week.

You too. I appreciate the response and insight.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 16:30
I received my financial aid package from both UNC and Emory. For UNC, I'm maxed out on federal loans. However, for Emory, they only provided the Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan of $20,500/year (meaning I have to cover ~$53k from private funding sources). Does that change the equation at all?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UNC vs. Emory ($) vs. Cornell (Potentially) &nbs [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 16:30

UNC vs. Emory ($) vs. Cornell (Potentially)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap