Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: UNC vs UT Austin vs University of Washington [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Tagging ankurgupta03 who is an UNC alumnus for his inputs
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [1]
Send PM
UNC vs UT Austin vs University of Washington [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tagging few more

From UNC Kenan-Flagler
mbaclass2020 (Got admitted to both UNC KF and UT McCombs but is a current student at McCombs )
Luckisnoexcuse
UNCBOUND
Boston44

From McCombs
UTAustin001
akash2890

From UW Foster
okhotnikovaalina
msbae0308
austinlm
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I would go for UT Austin. It offers good money and great job opportunities.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tagging current McCombs student mrsonmax for his/her inputs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your admits and scholarships!

Merry Christmas to you as well. One thing about Foster is that it has a lot of people who come from Seattle Tech background and they go back there. Also being in the city with most tech companies having an office, helps. FB, Google, Dropbox, amazon and microsoft of course. My understanding however, and what's not necessarily transparent on the job reports is that while people who find jobs in tech, they are not as exciting positions as some of the top 10 Schools get to see. The level and caliber of hires is different basically, which is good and bad at the same time. The good is that Amazon hires 1,000 MBA's per year so no matter which school you end up at, you have a shot. The bad is that Foster does not provide any major benefits to open doors beyond just being nearby, allowing more networking opportunities, and being an easy spot for companies to come on campus. I guess it is a benefit afterall :-)

Both Foster and McCombs are regional schools but I feel UT Austin has a stronger national reputation than UW. Then of course if you are planning to live in Seattle area, then UW is the place to go as many people stick around in the area.

The weather in Seattle is pretty similar to the UK, while Austin is hot in the summer and nice most of the other 6 months (Seattle is the opposite, but you are familiar with that weather cycle). I know it is a minor thing but it gets old eventually. In terms of being outdorsy/etc - yes, you can do a lot but it is challenging during bschool and during the 8 months of the rain season but you can ski in the winter in the Cascades and hike in the summer and fall. Winter and Spring are nasty and everyone goes to Hawaii or Mexico to recharge.

P.S. I am not sure it is worth paying $30K for Foster instead of McCombs ultimately. My suggestion would be to head where you may have a network and if you don't have one, 30K will pay for plenty of flights to Bay Area and Seattle. You can still do phone coffee chats and remote off campus recruiting. My take on it.

Hey, Max here from McCombs 2020 class. I was also accepted to Foster with slightly less than full scholarship and to McCombs with full scholarship. Having gone through the first semester, i can say that BB is right in that UT is definitely more nationally recognized that UW. UT is also pretty good with tech recruiting, can't really complain about that. All big tech companies hire and have relations with the school and UT alumni network. This doesn't mean that the competition is not fierce, but people do get jobs at Amazon, Apple, Google, Adobe, etc. Life in Seattle is more expensive from what i know, so you have to factor that into the cost.
UT has a lot of momentum now - new super cool building, tech booming in Austin (Apple recently announced its plan to build huge campus here in addition to existing one, plus Amazon, Google, FB and others have offices in Austin). Another cool thing about UT is its fellows programs, i don't know if UW has anything similar but likely it doesn't. Its really valuable to get into Marketing fellows if you are pursuing prod mgmt roles, essentially the program involves like marketing casing with CMO's of large companies where you try to find solutions to some of the current problems that their companies face. everybody who has gone through fellows says its the best part of the MBA experience by far.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrsonmax wrote:
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your admits and scholarships!

Merry Christmas to you as well. One thing about Foster is that it has a lot of people who come from Seattle Tech background and they go back there. Also being in the city with most tech companies having an office, helps. FB, Google, Dropbox, amazon and microsoft of course. My understanding however, and what's not necessarily transparent on the job reports is that while people who find jobs in tech, they are not as exciting positions as some of the top 10 Schools get to see. The level and caliber of hires is different basically, which is good and bad at the same time. The good is that Amazon hires 1,000 MBA's per year so no matter which school you end up at, you have a shot. The bad is that Foster does not provide any major benefits to open doors beyond just being nearby, allowing more networking opportunities, and being an easy spot for companies to come on campus. I guess it is a benefit afterall :-)

Both Foster and McCombs are regional schools but I feel UT Austin has a stronger national reputation than UW. Then of course if you are planning to live in Seattle area, then UW is the place to go as many people stick around in the area.

The weather in Seattle is pretty similar to the UK, while Austin is hot in the summer and nice most of the other 6 months (Seattle is the opposite, but you are familiar with that weather cycle). I know it is a minor thing but it gets old eventually. In terms of being outdorsy/etc - yes, you can do a lot but it is challenging during bschool and during the 8 months of the rain season but you can ski in the winter in the Cascades and hike in the summer and fall. Winter and Spring are nasty and everyone goes to Hawaii or Mexico to recharge.

P.S. I am not sure it is worth paying $30K for Foster instead of McCombs ultimately. My suggestion would be to head where you may have a network and if you don't have one, 30K will pay for plenty of flights to Bay Area and Seattle. You can still do phone coffee chats and remote off campus recruiting. My take on it.

Hey, Max here from McCombs 2020 class. I was also accepted to Foster with slightly less than full scholarship and to McCombs with full scholarship. Having gone through the first semester, i can say that BB is right in that UT is definitely more nationally recognized that UW. UT is also pretty good with tech recruiting, can't really complain about that. All big tech companies hire and have relations with the school and UT alumni network. This doesn't mean that the competition is not fierce, but people do get jobs at Amazon, Apple, Google, Adobe, etc. Life in Seattle is more expensive from what i know, so you have to factor that into the cost.
UT has a lot of momentum now - new super cool building, tech booming in Austin (Apple recently announced its plan to build huge campus here in addition to existing one, plus Amazon, Google, FB and others have offices in Austin). Another cool thing about UT is its fellows programs, i don't know if UW has anything similar but likely it doesn't. Its really valuable to get into Marketing fellows if you are pursuing prod mgmt roles, essentially the program involves like marketing casing with CMO's of large companies where you try to find solutions to some of the current problems that their companies face. everybody who has gone through fellows says its the best part of the MBA experience by far.

Thanks for the response Max, much appreciated. I definitely like the extra curricular offers the UT has, and am starting to think it may be the better choice. I'm currently trying to build my own ranking system for the things that matter to me! Haha

Posted from my mobile device
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
BNabs88 wrote:

Thanks for the response Max, much appreciated. I definitely like the extra curricular offers the UT has, and am starting to think it may be the better choice. I'm currently trying to build my own ranking system for the things that matter to me! Haha

Posted from my mobile device

Hi BNabs88

Congrats for all those great schools.

What you are doing is really good habit as it is really matter to you only, especially that all schools within same range and close in terms of many things. Now you are practicing decision making. :-D. Just quick advice, try to search the power of alumni in general and in the field you target. You can use LinkedIn too.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again for the advice all. McCombs looks to be the best choice for me once I'd done all my rankings, so I'm going along to the preview weekend at the start of Feb (it's a shame that it's the same weekend as the Foster one), and if nothing leaps out at me as a reason not to go, then I'll be accepting my offer to UT!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V53
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Honestly, I don't think the rank between UT and UNC are that different. It will come down to fit. I will say based on UNC's latest employment report, more than 20% of their class went into tech. I think UNC and UT-Austin have similar national reputations. Goodluck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts