Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [14]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: V11-09 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Navinder wrote:
I feel the construction -- "actress Marlene Dietrich, the great writer" gives kind of impression that the great writer is modifying Marlene Dietrich and the explanation for choice A is not complete.

If you concentrate only on a part of a sentence in isolation, then you will tend to make wrong judgements - one effective technique to tackle tough SC questions is to understand the structure of the sentence as a whole (which is the main clause, which is the subject, which the main verb, which are the independent clauses which are the modifiers etc.).

If there were a comma after "the great writer", then your point could be valid. In this sentence the main clause of this sentence is the great writer ... wrote..., in which the great writer is the subject and wrote is the verb. Consider the sentence:

In a letter to him, I wrote about..... Would you say I is a modifier of him?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
In a letter to the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich, the great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway wrote an account of a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination.

In a letter ..... , Ernest Hemingway,the great writer of the 20th century, wrote......

would the above one be more correct?? I lost interest in D the moment I saw "the great writer followed by first part of sentence "
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
deepak268 wrote:
In a letter to the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich, the great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway wrote an account of a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination.

In a letter ..... , Ernest Hemingway,the great writer of the 20th century, wrote......

would the above one be more correct?? I lost interest in D the moment I saw "the great writer followed by first part of sentence "

Option D and your variation both are alright. Option D uses a direct adjective phrase, whereas you have used the same as a modifier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Schools: Kellogg '20
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
The great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway wrote an account of a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination in a letter to the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich.

A. The great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway wrote an account of a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination in a letter to the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich.
B. In a letter to the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich, the great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway accounted for a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination.
C. To the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich, the great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway wrote a letter, being an account of a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination.
D. In a letter to the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich, the great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway wrote an account of a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination.
E. Writing a letter to the Hollywood actress Marlene Dietrich, the great writer of the 20th century Ernest Hemingway accounted for a bizarre Broadway act from his own imagination.

Can you kindly explain the option choice in a more elaborate way. I am stuck between option A & D. I could not find any of difference between the two and choose A. Thanx

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re V11-09 [#permalink]
Kudos
Quality of question is ok, but explanation is not at all good, more than questions, explanations are difficult to understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Send PM
daagh

Can you help in solving this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Kudos
Option a , why it is wrong (option d no doubt it is correct ) but can't understand from the explanation provided here. How buzzare act happens only in the letter. Can some legend throw light on this ?
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Cheryn wrote:
Option a , why it is wrong (option d no doubt it is correct ) but can't understand from the explanation provided here. How bizarre act happens only in the letter. Can some legend throw light on this ?

We do have a similar official OG question explaining in detail : https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-nephew-of-pliny-the-elder-wrote-the-only-eyewitness-account-of-the-85872.html
I hope this will suffice!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos