GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 02:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:28) correct 30% (02:51) wrong based on 263 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours. She is then joined by Bruce, and together the two of them finish sanding the floor in 2 hours. If Bruce can sand the floor by himself in 20 hours, how long would it take Wendy to sand the floor by herself?

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

Kudos for a correct solution.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 04:55
Bunuel wrote:
Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours. She is then joined by Bruce, and together the two of them finish sanding the floor in 2 hours. If Bruce can sand the floor by himself in 20 hours, how long would it take Wendy to sand the floor by herself?

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

Let Wendy finish sanding the floor alone in W hours while B be the hours for Bruce.

Thus in 1 hour Wendy finishes 1/w of the work while Bruce finishes 1/B of the work.

If wendy works for 4 hours and is then joined by Bruce to finish the work in 2 more hours,

4/W + 2/W+2/B = 1 (1 denotes the total amount of work)

6/W + 2/B =1 and given B =20 hours.

Thus W = 20/3 hours , C is the correct answer.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 05:02
Let Wendy take 'w' hrs to complete the work
Bruce takes 20 hrs to complete the work.

Work done in 1 hr is 1/w & 1/20 by Wendy & Bruce respectively.

Therefore,
Work done by Wendy in 4 hrs = 4*(1/w) ------------- (1)
Work done by Wendy & Bruce in 2 hrs = 2*(1/w + 1/20) ------------ (2)

From 1 & 2, work done in 1 hour is 1 unit, i.e
4/w + 2/w + 2/20 = 1.
Solving the above equation, we get w = 20/3

Hence C !!
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 06:47
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

It took me a long time to solve this, on the real exam I probably would just have skipped it. Set up a Rate x Time = Work Table:

Wendy's Rate = X, | Time worked = 4 | Work done = 4X

Bruce's Rate = 2 | Time Worked = 20 | Work done 40 (40 is a nice number to plug in, since there is no actual work given in the question).

Combined Rate = 2+x | Time Worked = 2 | Work done = 40-4x > we can solve this 2x +4 = 40 - 4x >>> 6x = 36 >>> x = 6

Therefore Wendy's Rate is 6/h

If she does the job on her own, we have 40/6 = 6.666666

Answer Choice C

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 07:04
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

one method has been as discussed above..

the other could be..
bruce can do it in 20h.. so in two hrs he will do 2/20th of work=1/10 of work
so wendy does 9/10 of work in 6 hrs..
wendy will complete the work in 6*10/9=20/3 hrs
C

Also here the choices are so apart that one can eliminate all but the correct one..
since W works for 6 days and b for 2 days.. ..
A and B are less than 1 day , can be eliminated straightway..
E and D are 9 and 10 days.. which would enable both to finsh the work in 6 to 7 days , which cannot be correct..
only C is close by..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 07:18
Let Bruce complete 1 unit of work per hr (as we already know he took 20 hrs)
and Wendy x units of work per hour

So total Work = 20 units (1 unit *20 hrs)

Work done by Wendy in 4 hrs= 4x
Work done by Wendy and Bruce in 2 hrs = 2x+ 2
Hence, Total work done = 4x +2x +2=6x+2

Equating, 6x+2=20
or 6x=18
or x=3
Now we know, Wendy completed 3 units of work per hour
hence to complete 20 units of work, she would need 20/3 hrs

Correct Option (C)

+1 Kudos if you find my approach useful.
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 07:29
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

6/W + 2/B= 1
Now B=20

6/W=1-1/10
6/W=9/10
W=60/9=20/3

Answer: C
CEO
CEO
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 09:19
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

Let, Total Work Units = 60

Let, Work done by Wendy in an hour = W units
i.e., Work done by Wendy in 4 hour = 4W units

Since Bruce finish the entire work in 20 hours
therefore, Work done by Bruce in an hour = 60/20 = 3 units

i.e., Work done by Wendy and Bruce together in 1 hour = (W+3) units
i.e., Work done by Wendy and Bruce together in 2 hour = 2(W+3) units

Total Work = 60 = 4W + 2(W+3)
i.e. 6W + 6 = 60
i.e. 6W = 54
i.e. W = 9 Units

Total Time taken by Wendy to finish the work herself = 60/9 = 20/3 hours

Answer: Option C

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 04:15
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

You can attack this problem in different ways. No matter what, though, the first thing you should do is focus on the following piece of information:

If Bruce can sand the floor by himself in 20 hours ...

This specifies the rate at which Bruce works in general Note the use of the word can to indicate his general ability. (In the problem scenario, Bruce is not sanding the floor by himself) Bruce's work rate is thus

(1 floor)/(20 hours) = 1/20 floor/hours.

You can also write a quick RTW table and solve for his unknown work rate, but if you can learn to write the work rate directly from statements such as Bruce can sand the floor by himself in 20 hours, then you will save time. Just make sure that you write the units correctly: work rates should always be work per time, not time per work!

As we saw with distance problems, you can lighten your workload by recasting and rephrasing the problem. In this case, you can perform the following arithmetic steps, using only one-row RTW tables at any point. First, focus on the fact that Bruce works alongside Wendy for 2 hours. Since he works at a rate of 1 floor/20 hours, we can set up an RTW chart to figure out how much work Bruce does in those 2 hours:

He is therefore able to complete 2/20, or 1/10, of the floor. This means that Wendy has to do 9/10 of the floor in the 6 hours total that she spends working: 4 hours by herself and 2 hours alongside Bruce.

Now we can solve for her work rate, using another RTW chart:

Finally, take the reciprocal of her work rate to find the time that it takes Wendy to sand one floor. If she can sand 3/20 of a floor in 1 hour, then she will take 20/3 hours to sand 1 floor. You can also use a final RTW chart to find this time:

Answer: C.

Attachment:
2015-07-13_1511.png
2015-07-13_1511.png [ 5.21 KiB | Viewed 2693 times ]

Attachment:
2015-07-13_1512.png
2015-07-13_1512.png [ 9.38 KiB | Viewed 2701 times ]

Attachment:
2015-07-13_1512_001.png
2015-07-13_1512_001.png [ 9.29 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 16:16
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9/80 hours
B. 3/20 hours
C. 20/3 hours
D. 80/9 hours
E. 10 hours

we are told that W worked for 4 hours...
then B joined. together worked for 2 hours.
B alone finished the work in 20 hours.
his rate is 1/20
in 2 hours, he alone gets 1/10 work done.
it means that W in 6 hours did 9/10 work.

we have time, we have work completed. we can find rate.
9/10 * 1/6 = 9/60 = 3/20. this is W's rate.
therefore, she can do 1 job in 20/3 hours.

answer is C.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 23:48
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours. &nbs [#permalink] 19 Apr 2018, 23:48

Wendy begins sanding a kitchen floor by herself and works for 4 hours.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap