GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton ($$) vs. Sloan ($$) vs. Tuck ($$) for nonprofit/social impact

new topic post reply Update application status  

Short-term: MBB, long-term: Nonprofit/Foundation Management

• 40% [8]
  • 50% [10]
  • 10% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Wharton ($$) vs. Sloan ($$) vs. Tuck ($$) for nonprofit/social impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 18:32
Lucky to have three great offers that are comparable $$ wise. Nonprofit background, looking at consulting short-term (ideally MBB) and strategy roles with nonprofits/foundations long-term. Specific things I'm thinking about below...

Wharton ($45k):
-Loved the TBD, W's research heft and diverse student body, Philly
-Loan forgiveness program is a plus if I don't wind up in consulting
-Concerned about how competitive the culture is, particularly for MBB recruiting
-I get the feeling that Wharton has the best network of these three in the foundation world--true? false?

Sloan ($60k):
-Pros: innovation & operations strength, unparalleled program in sustainability, love Boston
-Heard mixed reviews about strength of core curriculum (i.e. some classes/profs aren't all that great)
-How do Sloan and Wharton compare when it comes to the international brand? Unsure which might carry more weight if I wind up working in an international role

Tuck ($60k):
-First choice going into this whole process (reapplicant after WL last year)
-Love the strength of the community & network, heard great things about the professors, great for MBB
-Curriculum structure is ideal, great coursework in what I'm looking to do
-Concerned about the lack of other grad programs to collaborate with, and worried about Tuck's brand internationally

Also--how much value does a Forte Fellowship carry in terms of prestige? I got it from one of my schools but not the others; trying to figure out whether it's something I might be able to be reconsidered for... hard to know what these different fellowship names mean, and whether that matters!
Current Student
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Wharton ($$) vs. Sloan ($$) vs. Tuck ($$) for nonprofit/social impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 20:52
fpinterrupted wrote:
How do Sloan and Wharton compare when it comes to the international brand? Unsure which might carry more weight if I wind up working in an international role

I can comment on this specific point.
When you compare universities and the general awareness, MIT is in general a much stronger brand compared to UPenn primarily because of MIT's tech dominance. However, within the MBA crowd, Wharton sure is a better known brand compared to Sloan (when comparing business schools). Not to say Sloan is lesser known or you'll be at a significant disadvantage, it might just be a marginal difference and I think this shouldn't be a factor you should base your decision on.

I would also suggest to consider the kind of roles that you are looking for post-MBA. You want to do MBB consulting but consulting in what? If you're inclined towards innovation and operations, MIT will be a better choice while for finance, Wharton is a clear winner. May be ask yourself which stream excites you more...

If I were you I would also talk to people who went to both these schools and who had a similar profile like yours. Your career choices may change drastically once you're inside a school hence it'll be good to ask them how there experience was and what all careers/resources can you explore in each school.

Hope that helps.
1 KUDOS received
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Re: Wharton ($$) vs. Sloan ($$) vs. Tuck ($$) for nonprofit/social impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 21:09
I'd go with Tuck here. Sounds like that's where your heart is and I wouldn't worry about the brand.
Intern
Intern
Re: Wharton ($$) vs. Sloan ($$) vs. Tuck ($$) for nonprofit/social impact [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 22:34
Yup. Sounds like you want tuck. Id have gone to tuck given tje choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 04:39
Congrats for admit. :) Welcome to the dilemma.

I totally agree with Rohti in his view about MIT and Wharton. It is about your fit. From your words above, it seems you love the vibe of Tuck. So do I :) , although I'm not Tuckie. I admire and respect their loyalty. I was in contact with alumni 14 & 15, one of them is a consultant in A.T Kearney. He told me that his resume was sent to 20 Tuckies in different places. Tuckies shared his resume with superiors even with out job opening. He started then to receive feedback and replies. Another example from a grad who was in marketing field. She struggled in accounting. She described to me how her professor noticed the problem and gave her support. I agree that Tuck is less than MIT and Wharton but you can search for alumni in your country where you want to end up live and work. Then, you can compare and take a decision.

One last comment about professors. You will find good and bad in every school. It is normal and also every students has his opinion.

Good luck
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 13:25
This is between Wharton and Sloan in my opinion. Wharton better biz brand and MIT better overall brand (vs. UPenn). I would lean Wharton here slightly. really tremendous MBA brand right up there with HBS, it's that good. Both schools will get you where you need to go honestly, but that loan forgiveness program looks really awesome

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Wharton ($$) vs. Sloan ($$) vs. Tuck ($$) for nonprofit/social impact   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 13:25

Wharton ($$) vs. Sloan ($$) vs. Tuck ($$) for nonprofit/social impact

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: teleste, Wilch, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap