It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What next for me?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 2.99
Reviews Badge
What next for me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 10:59
I was hoping to get some feedback on my profile because I have struggled so far. Last year I applied to Stanford, Wharton, and Booth and got dinged by all three with only Booth asking to interview me. Just today I got dinged by CBS ED. Obviously quite upset and wondering now if I am shooting too high.

For reference, my GPA was 2.9 mainly due to immaturity and the fact that I spent the majority of my free time at school trying to improve my tennis as the plan was always to go pro after. I got injured after reaching top 500 in the world fairly quickly and spent over two years trying to recover. I then transitioned to a family business and a year and a half ago cofounded a startup that has raised over $500,000 including a $90,000+ crowdfunding campaign. However, I don't feel like entrepreneurship is my future, and I want to work in consulting because I thrive on problem solving and the intellectually curious part of me loves learning about different businesses and industries.

People tend to offer me explanations after my dings, for example I have been told that without a brand name on my CV, Wharton was always going to be difficult. As for CBS, I was told that sub 3.0 GPAs rarely get accepted. But i feel like it is a bad sign that they did not find my profile remotely interesting enough to interview me.

I am planning on applying to Yale, LBS, Kellogg, Booth again, and Fuqua in round 1. Am I aiming too high?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 107

Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 330 Q161 V169
What next for me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 13:39
I'm a fellow applicant like you, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. That said, I would advise:

1) diversifying the range of schools you apply to. The GPA may be the sticky point for the kind of schools you applied to. But it could also have been your career goals, your essays, your interview. There are so many factors and with that high GMAT score, who is to say where the problem really lies. If you apply to a range of schools in the Top 20 (as opposed to Top 8), you have stronger chances of landing a school.

2) Talking to a consultant. Have you looked into a comprehensive profile review or Ding review by Essay Snark for example? You need an informed opinion before attempting any more apps, and will not get one from this forum because people don't have enough information to properly advise you. If you aim for round 2 instead of 1, you can redesign your strategy and come back swinging.

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: What next for me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 14:42
bgbeidas wrote:
I was hoping to get some feedback on my profile because I have struggled so far. Last year I applied to Stanford, Wharton, and Booth and got dinged by all three with only Booth asking to interview me. Just today I got dinged by CBS ED. Obviously quite upset and wondering now if I am shooting too high.

For reference, my GPA was 2.9 mainly due to immaturity and the fact that I spent the majority of my free time at school trying to improve my tennis as the plan was always to go pro after. I got injured after reaching top 500 in the world fairly quickly and spent over two years trying to recover. I then transitioned to a family business and a year and a half ago cofounded a startup that has raised over $500,000 including a $90,000+ crowdfunding campaign. However, I don't feel like entrepreneurship is my future, and I want to work in consulting because I thrive on problem solving and the intellectually curious part of me loves learning about different businesses and industries.

People tend to offer me explanations after my dings, for example I have been told that without a brand name on my CV, Wharton was always going to be difficult. As for CBS, I was told that sub 3.0 GPAs rarely get accepted. But i feel like it is a bad sign that they did not find my profile remotely interesting enough to interview me.

I am planning on applying to Yale, LBS, Kellogg, Booth again, and Fuqua in round 1. Am I aiming too high?

I'm sorry to hear that for you. In your case, I would stress using a consulnat as mentioned above. Sacrificing money is actually an investment to you. Most of consultants offer 30 min free consultation. Try to pick one from the forum.

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 20:01
Hi bgbeidas,

At the outset, you have some interesting experiences.

Definitely, not easy to break into top 500. So, devoting time to tennis is a reasonable explanation for low GPA, provided you did. (As an aside, if you noticed Djokovic’s box at 2017 Wimbledon, you would have found Mario Ancic as his temporary coach. A former top-10 player, he went to Columbia Law School after persistent injuries stymied his tennis career, and now he is working in IB @ Credit Suisse.) In any case, you’ve mitigated your GPA with a strong GMAT score. So, I don’t think GPA was a spoiler in your case.

The reason for your multiple dings could lie elsewhere. Were you working during your recovery period? Or was there a gap? Explaining entrepreneurial experience too can have its challenges especially when you didn’t pursue it after raising funds. Too many changes – sports, family business, startup, and consulting – too need some narrative, otherwise it may signal non-stickiness and lack of track record in one field. These are few top-of-the-mind points. If you’re interested in getting more detailed, free feedback on your application, feel free to write to me.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 23:46
Aaliyah537 wrote:
I'm a fellow applicant like you, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. That said, I would advise:

1) diversifying the range of schools you apply to. The GPA may be the sticky point for the kind of schools you applied to. But it could also have been your career goals, your essays, your interview. There are so many factors and with that high GMAT score, who is to say where the problem really lies. If you apply to a range of schools in the Top 20 (as opposed to Top 8), you have stronger chances of landing a school.

2) Talking to a consultant. Have you looked into a comprehensive profile review or Ding review by Essay Snark for example? You need an informed opinion before attempting any more apps, and will not get one from this forum because people don't have enough information to properly advise you. If you aim for round 2 instead of 1, you can redesign your strategy and come back swinging.

Thanks for the input. I worked with a consultant last year who clearly knew what he was doing, but I didn't like the experience that much.

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 23:48
99Colleges wrote:
Hi bgbeidas,

At the outset, you have some interesting experiences.

Definitely, not easy to break into top 500. So, devoting time to tennis is a reasonable explanation for low GPA, provided you did. (As an aside, if you noticed Djokovic’s box at 2017 Wimbledon, you would have found Mario Ancic as his temporary coach. A former top-10 player, he went to Columbia Law School after persistent injuries stymied his tennis career, and now he is working in IB @ Credit Suisse.) In any case, you’ve mitigated your GPA with a strong GMAT score. So, I don’t think GPA was a spoiler in your case.

The reason for your multiple dings could lie elsewhere. Were you working during your recovery period? Or was there a gap? Explaining entrepreneurial experience too can have its challenges especially when you didn’t pursue it after raising funds. Too many changes – sports, family business, startup, and consulting – too need some narrative, otherwise it may signal non-stickiness and lack of track record in one field. These are few top-of-the-mind points. If you’re interested in getting more detailed, free feedback on your application, feel free to write to me.

Yep, i actually tried to get in touch with Mario before applying to CBS but it was tough because he was busy with Novak during Wimbledon. Interesting about the constant switching, crossed my mind but didn't look at it from the perspective you just put forth.

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 330 Q161 V169

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 07:49
You worked with a consultant and didn't get in? That is bizarre.

Try the "Post-Mortem" at Essay Snark. It $250 and will probably help.

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 10:46
Stanford and Wharton were both reach schools for me so I don't think it's bizarre that I didn't get in even with a consultant.

Re: What next for me?   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2017, 10:46

What next for me?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap