GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 01:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:10) correct 50% (01:20) wrong based on 642 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients.

(A) at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients
(B) at being a preventive against catastrophic illness financially destroying elderly patients
(C) at preventing a catastrophic illness from financially destroying the elderly patient
(D) to prevent a catastrophic illness financially destroying an elderly patient
(E) to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness

SC49561.01

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1983/01/30/192677.html?pageNumber=382

Attachment:
Annotation 2019-09-21 162751.jpg
Annotation 2019-09-21 162751.jpg [ 51.24 KiB | Viewed 4075 times ]

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Intern
Intern
B
Re: When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 02:02
When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients.

I go with C.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 07:31
Top Contributor

(A) at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients
(B) at being a preventive against catastrophic illness financially destroying elderly patients
(C) at preventing a catastrophic illness from financially destroying the elderly patient
(E) to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness

The entry into the topic is through the split between the singular patient and the plural patients. Nobody will enact a law for the sake of a single patient or the patient. Therefore, let's drop C and D.

In B and E, the use of the word 'being' used as modifier renders them wrong.

Particularly the use of 'to prevent' will be redundant in D and E because, we already have 'aimed at" as a purpose marker.

A remains as the correct choice.

Particularly the use of 'to prevent' will be redundant in D and E because, we already have 'aimed at" as a purpose marker.
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 07:40
I have my doubts, but I will still try.

D and E can be outrightly eliminated for using improper meaning. Aimed to eliminate the patient.

B uses being improperly.

Between A &C, C uses the elderly patient(specific one). Whereas the sentence isn't talking about anyone specific.

A uses the noun form of preventing instead of verb form. Which isn't appreciated on GMAT.

Between the two bads, a can be more tolerated than C

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 04:29
hazelnut wrote:

SC49561.01

Official Explanation

Verb Form; Diction

Two issues can be identified here: first, we must determine what form follows the phrase it was aimed, used to describe a goal or intended purpose; second, we must determine what preposition (if any) connects prevent or its cognates with the thing that is actually prevented.

A. This choice uses the idiomatically correct was aimed at. However, the word prevention incorrectly takes both the preposition of and the preposition from; this makes the sentence awkward and ambiguous. Furthermore, using the noun prevention makes the sentence wordier than choices using some form of the verb to prevent.

B. This choice uses the idiomatically correct was aimed at. However, using the noun a preventative makes the sentence wordier than cases using some form of the verb to prevent.

C. Correct. The phrase at preventing is correct in context: it describes Medicare's intended purpose. Furthermore, the preposition from correctly indicates a consequence that has been prevented.

D. This choice uses the idiomatically incorrect was aimed to. Furthermore, it fails to use the idiomatically correct prevent from.

E. This choice uses the idiomatically incorrect was aimed to. Furthermore, it fails to use the idiomatically correct prevent from.

The correct answer is C.
P
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 17:03

Really tough question!

hazelnut wrote:
(A)When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients.

"aimed at the prevention of x from destroying y" is awkward and difficult to understand.

hazelnut wrote:
(B) When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at being a preventive against catastrophic illness financially destroying elderly patients.

"aimed at being a preventative" is incorrect. The use of the article 'a' indicates that a noun is coming. "preventative" can be used as an adjective or a noun.

If we were to use "preventative" as a noun, I believe "preventative against" is idiomatically incorrect. I believe we would need "preventative for." I'm certainly open to feedback on this one. The OE just eliminated this option because of 'wordiness'... :problem:

hazelnut wrote:
(C) When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at preventing a catastrophic illness from financially destroying the elderly patient.

I see no problems here

The tricky part is the singular noun 'the elderly patient.' I could see how many folks would think *That doesn't make any sense! Medicare wasn't enacted for a single elderly patient!*

I hear you, but this is another strange style/usage thing that we use in everyday speech. I'll write a few examples below:

"Growing up in a lower class household, Mike votes for city officials that advocate for the poor man."

"Mike began his Duke basketball fan-hood by watching players like JJ Redick, who in his thirteenth season in the NBA, has always been relatively unathletic compared to his peers. JJ is an inspiration to the kid who can't jump very high or move very quickly."

hazelnut wrote:
(D) When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed to prevent a catastrophic illness financially destroying an elderly patient.

1. We do not need the infinitive "to prevent" after the simple past tense 'aimed'. Verb Tense Error

2. We are missing the word 'from' in-between 'illness' and 'financially'.

hazelnut wrote:
(E) When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness.

Verb Tense Error and Meaning Error

Think about it. When medicare was enacted in 1965 (the past), it was aimed to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed.

This is missing the word 'from' before 'being.' Medicare wasn't aimed to prevent elderly patients that are financially destroyed. It was aimed to prevent elderly patients from getting financially destroyed.

Bonus Content :)

If I were to write this sentence, I would do it as so:

MikeScarn wrote:
When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was intended to prevent catastrophic illnesses from financially destroying elderly patients.

Wouldn't that be easier ;)

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Manager
Manager
S
WE: General Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 07:28
Quote:

“Aimed at VERB-in” is the only correct idiom. Out.

Being – redundancy.

Seems ok.

Aimed to – unidiomatic. Out.

Aimed to – unidiomatic. Out.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 01:33
Please Experts,suggest me from where should I learn idioms that are frequently tested in GMAT ? Thanks ☺

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 08:06
hazelnut wrote:

SC49561.01

Imo C

One of the best question for redundancy. D and E are out because of to prevent. We already have aimed to show the intent. So drop D and E
B being is used incorrectly also correct verb form is not used it has to be prevent or prevention
A prevention is a noun but we actually need an action verb so drop A

C is our choice
Manager
Manager
S
WE: General Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 14:23
shaonkarim wrote:
Please Experts,suggest me from where should I learn idioms that are frequently tested in GMAT ? Thanks ☺

Hi shaonkarim

Three things come to my mind:

1) a very concise list of "the most common idioms" by Magoosh:
http://magoosh.resources.s3.amazonaws.c ... Idioms.pdf

2) a great guide by GMATNinja who, in some way, busts myths to learn all 25,000 idioms:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html

3) another one, very reputable ManhattanPrep Sentence Correction Guide (they have a special section for Idioms and Odd/Ends)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 02:13
DealMakerOne wrote:
shaonkarim wrote:

Hi shaonkarim

Three things come to my mind:

1) a very concise list of "the most common idioms" by Magoosh:
http://magoosh.resources.s3.amazonaws.c ... Idioms.pdf

2) a great guide by GMATNinja who, in some way, busts myths to learn all 25,000 idioms:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html

3) another one, very reputable ManhattanPrep Sentence Correction Guide (they have a special section for Idioms and Odd/Ends)

Thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 09:06
egmat please explain this question. I didn't get why options D and E are wrong?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 09:06

When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics